WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Steinhart fan for a while and have
loved the look and owned the OVM2 and Gnomon OVM limited Edition.
Despite the great looks and quality of the watches I eventually
sold them as I just could not live with size. For me, they we were
just too big. I don't have a tiny wrist but I prefer a smaller
presence and lower weight.

I have also owned an Armida 9 and recently the Ginault Ocean Rover.
The Ginault was almost "there" for me. But there were just a few niggling
things about it. 1] It was just a little too busy on the dial and had
a bit too much "bling" with the raised markers. The red seconds hand was
a little plasticky looking. Also a number of people had raised concerns
with the realiablity of the movement. It was going to be difficult to know
how it would fare long. Lastly the size was still a little large for me.

So, I sold it on in anticipation for this new 39mm OVM.

What do I think of it? Well, its a bit like that game with pulling petals
from a flower. "I like it, I dont like it, I like it......." So, where does
it end?

1] The reduced size is absolutly spot on for me. Gmomon/Steinhart have done
a fantastic job of getting the size down without being too weedy. It just
wears right.
2] The dial colour is not a pure black or gloss. It has a vintage, slightly faded
look. Really like that.
3] The marker dots again are nicely finished with old lume. Looks great.
4] The bezel insert has been reduced in size and I think it fits in well.
5] The shallow dome crystal has AR coating, so it is easy to see the dial in
any light level. In harsh light every thing is still legible due to the mat dial
absorbing any refelections.
6] $499 is not a lot of money for a well made Swiss diver.

Non-Likes

1] The bezel has too much play. I dont understand how this can be, but it
seems to there across all the 39mm models.
2] The hand set looks to be the same as the ones used in the 42mm. As a result
they just look too crowded and cramped. This is the main gripe that I have. More
thought should have gone into this.
3]The lume is not that strong. Especially after having the Ginault and even the Armida.
4] It looks as we are stuck with the basic 39mm case design for a while. I just wish
Steinhart had curved the inside of the lugs a bit more. Also drilled the lugs. I
am constantly changing straps and it is pain without drilled lugs.

To summerise. This is not the perfect diver watch for me (will there ever be one?)
But it has enough going for it to make it a keeper. It just looks and feels right.
With my fading eyesight it is easy to read off the time in any light condition.
The acid test? I asked my 13 year old daughter what she thought of it. Not much for
words and little interest in watches. "Yeah, I like it" Why? "Easy to see the time
with the broad hands and hour markers". That's good enough for me! Last petal -
I like it!

Pictures:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been a Steinhart fan for a while and have
loved the look and owned the OVM2 and Gnomon OVM limited Edition.
Despite the great looks and quality of the watches I eventually
sold them as I just could not live with size. For me, they we were
just too big. I don't have a tiny wrist but I prefer a smaller
presence and lower weight.

I have also owned an Armida 9 and recently the Ginault Ocean Rover.
The Ginault was almost "there" for me. But there were just a few niggling
things about it. 1] It was just a little too busy on the dial and had
a bit too much "bling" with the raised markers. The red seconds hand was
a little plasticky looking. Also a number of people had raised concerns
with the realiablity of the movement. It was going to be difficult to know
how it would fare long. Lastly the size was still a little large for me.

So, I sold it on in anticipation for this new 39mm OVM.

What do I think of it? Well, its a bit like that game with pulling petals
from a flower. "I like it, I dont like it, I like it......." So, where does
it end?

1] The reduced size is absolutly spot on for me. Gmomon/Steinhart have done
a fantastic job of getting the size down without being too weedy. It just
wears right.
2] The dial colour is not a pure black or gloss. It has a vintage, slightly faded
look. Really like that.
3] The marker dots again are nicely finished with old lume. Looks great.
4] The bezel insert has been reduced in size and I think it fits in well.
5] The shallow dome crystal has AR coating, so it is easy to see the dial in
any light level. In harsh light every thing is still legible due to the mat dial
absorbing any refelections.
6] $499 is not a lot of money for a well made Swiss diver.

Non-Likes

1] The bezel has too much play. I dont understand how this can be, but it
seems to there across all the 39mm models.
2] The hand set looks to be the same as the ones used in the 42mm. As a result
they just look too crowded and cramped. This is the main gripe that I have. More
thought should have gone into this.
3]The lume is not that strong. Especially after having the Ginault and even the Armida.
4] It looks as we are stuck with the basic 39mm case design for a while. I just wish
Steinhart had curved the inside of the lugs a bit more. Also drilled the lugs. I
am constantly changing straps and it is pain without drilled lugs.

To summerise. This is not the perfect diver watch for me (will there ever be one?)
But it has enough going for it to make it a keeper. It just looks and feels right.
With my fading eyesight it is easy to read off the time in any light condition.
The acid test? I asked my 13 year old daughter what she thought of it. Not much for
words and little interest in watches. "Yeah, I like it" Why? "Easy to see the time
with the broad hands and hour markers". That's good enough for me! Last petal -
I like it!

Pictures:
You and I seem to have similar likes and dislikes regarding watches. Though I will admit I do have a few larger ones, like my Casio Protrek. The protrek, however, is a modern sport watch and with that, to me, looks ok wearing large. In contrast, the OVM is a homage to the 1970's when most mens watches were not large, and with that to me the 42 failed to a great extent.

I am wearing my OVM2.0 today and for the last week to remember my thoughts on it, since my 39mm is currently out for delivery I will get to compare soon.

My 2.0

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You and I seem to have similar likes and dislikes regarding watches. Though I will admit I do have a few larger ones, like my Casio Protrek. The protrek, however, is a modern sport watch and with that, to me, looks ok wearing large. In contrast, the OVM is a homage to the 1970's when most mens watches were not large, and with that to me the 42 failed to a great extent.

I am wearing my OVM2.0 today and for the last week to remember my thoughts on it, since my 39mm is currently out for delivery I will get to compare soon.

My 2.0
That OVM2 looks just about right on your wrist. I do miss it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That OVM2 looks just about right on your wrist. I do miss it.
It does look about right for today's standards, and on my 7" wrist, but my Squale 1545 wears so much better with the smaller 40mm. I am guessing the 39mm OVM, with longer lugs than the Squale, will "ride" about the same.

Your comments on the 39mm handset had me curious, so I studied a bunch of photos of the 39 comparing them to the ones on my 42 and both handsets look to be proportional to their respective case size. The hour and minute hands hit the indices about the same place - as far as length, the width is a bit more difficult to compare with photos. But, my failing eyesight will appreciate their size, I have a difficult time reading the Mercedes handset on my Squale.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does look about right for today's standards, and on my 7" wrist, but my Squale 1545 wears so much better with the smaller 40mm. I am guessing the 39mm OVM, with longer lugs than the Squale, will "ride" about the same.

Your comments on the 39mm handset had me curious, so I studied a bunch of photos of the 39 comparing them to the ones on my 42 and both handsets look to be proportional to their respective case size. The hour and minute hands hit the indices about the same place - as far as length, the width is a bit more difficult to compare with photos. But, my failing eyesight will appreciate their size, I have a difficult time reading the Mercedes handset on my Squale.
I dont have the OVM2 to do a direct comparison. But the minute and seconds do seem to extend beyond the minute markers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went and compared your 39mm pics to the Gnomon photos on the website; the Gnomon photos of the 39 handset look just like my 42, whereas your photos do appear to have a larger hand set. Interesting. Even more curious to get mine in to compare.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've posted a quick review in the other thread, with a few comparison shots with the 42mm Maxi LE:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=44796309

I have a hunch they reused the very same handset. What makes it a slightly crowded dial to me is the removal of the outer padding around it; the bezel insert is very close to the large indices, creating that impression of oversized items on the dial.

At first I was a little uncomfortable with it but the more I see it, the more I actually love it. Super legible. It's a different watch, with a little more personality and a touch of modernity.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I really feel for these companies trying to design a watch that will be the most wide reaching seller possible for a good business plan. We have so many different tastes and niggles about design it would be so difficult to get it "right". Just in the OVM alone;

Blackdial is wrong color
lugs too long
too many words
brushed bezel, polished bezel
lume color, strength
Case size
etc, etc.

And, within everyone of those points there are those than love what was done and those that don't.

Kudos to Steinhart for continued attempts, and for them, sales - maybe it was all planned all along lol.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really feel for these companies trying to design a watch that will be the most wide reaching seller possible for a good business plan. We have so many different tastes and niggles about design it would be so difficult to get it "right". Just in the OVM alone;

Blackdial is wrong color
lugs too long
too many words
brushed bezel, polished bezel
lume color, strength
Case size
etc, etc.

And, within everyone of those points there are those than love what was done and those that don't.

Kudos to Steinhart for continued attempts, and for them, sales - maybe it was all planned all along lol.
When it is all said and done , it is all down to personal choices. I agree there is no real right or wronge here. The only way
to get the "perfect" watch is to start up a company and design every part your self. Stand back and say, "That was hell of a journey"
and "What do do I do now?" This journey continues for us all and its fun. Financially poorer but good fun. 39mm OVM, do I like it? As my daughter put it "Yeah, I like it" :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Received my watch in good order, wearing it now but have been busy at work to give it a good once over. Love the size and weight, easy to read and really appreciate the darker dial from my 2.0. Like I always do I moved it immediately over to a nato, but I really think I might try the bracelet on this one. My bezel has the smallest amount of backplay while moving it but once set it is pretty solid. I think this is a win from Steinhart.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Received my watch in good order, wearing it now but have been busy at work to give it a good once over. Love the size and weight, easy to read and really appreciate the darker dial from my 2.0. Look I always do I moved it immediately over to a nato, but I really think I might try the bracelet on this one. My bezel has the smallest amount of backplay while moving it but once set it is pretty solid. I think this is a win from Steinhart.
Cool!

Apart from the size, I think that the dial is a home run. Not sure who gets the credit for that, Steinhart or Gnomon? I cannot fault it,
At my desk I have spots and they make every single black dialed watch very difficult to read and look, well, crappy. This manages to look
great all the time. Looking forward to see if/when Steinhart/Gnomon will start to release some of the other vintage models from the
42mm range as 39mm. Will need to start clearing out the watch box to make room for them!

·
Registered
73 Posts
agreed on the dial. It is black without being too black. I think the level of mat finish is what does it, but you are correct it looks good in all lights. I see lots of watches with a very dark and glassy dial and to me this is more elegant and less stark for lack of a better description. I got the loop out on it just now and the dial printing and indices are very well done as well.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I'm on the fence for the Tisell Vintage Sub. I had three different OVM's and all went somewhere else.

I never take my Tisell off. Sorry guys, Steinhart did ok, but to me was a base hit, not a home run.

Follow me on Instagram- @Dec1968watches

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
I'm on the fence for the Tisell Vintage Sub. I had three different OVM's and all went somewhere else.

I never take my Tisell off. Sorry guys, Steinhart did ok, but to me was a base hit, not a home run.

Yes if you can bypass the Swiss thing, Tisell could be the best choice. The 9015 movement is very comparable to the 2892 in terms of quality and reliability. With a bit of chance the accuracy might be stunning too (without further adjustment).

·
Registered
73 Posts

Base hit or home run I guess depends on what one is looking for. I looked up the Tisell at your mention. It does not look at all like a milsub to me but more like a regular submariner. If that were my goal the Tisell would be in the running as it looks like a nice watch, but for my milsub desires it misses the mark pretty dramatically.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts