WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my Ocean 1 at Tourneau Watch Gear to be sized and I asked the guy
if he ever saw a Steinhart watch before, he replied no, but heard of the brand.
He was blown away by the Ocean 1, and spotted all the small details of this
watch that make it an incredible value! He said he was visiting the Steinhart
website to buy this amazing swiss product. Keep up the fantastic job you are all
doing at Steinhart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just brought my Ocean 1 at Tourneau Watch Gear to be sized and I asked the guy
if he ever saw a Steinhart watch before, he replied no, but heard of the brand.
He was blown away by the Ocean 1, and spotted all the small details of this
watch that make it an incredible value! He said he was visiting the Steinhart
website to buy this amazing swiss product. Keep up the fantastic job you are all
doing at Steinhart.
What about a review to underline all the small details of this watch that make it an incredible value (as you mentioned) ?

The Steinhart Ocean to me just looks like another Private Label Brand issue of a R´x Submariner-look-a-like or like others say "The Steinhart Ocean 1 bears a curious resemblance to the Rolex Submariner Date".
"Heart" of the Steinhart is the well known ETA 2824-2 which is nothing more than average. So, to be honest, I can´t see the incredible value.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For $400, its a very well made product. If you want a 'Swiss Made' watch in this range, they're a good value. The customer service is first-rate - I've dealt with them on a couple of issues and their repsonsiveness is impressive to say the least.

The designs are derivative, and thats an understatement in some cases, but they do have a few products that stand on their own. There will be some new designs hitting the streets over the next few months - some will be "homage" pieces, and some reportedly will be original. Truth be told, virtually all modern dive watches owe something to the Sub, so where do you draw the line? At the Steinhart? Marcello C? Seamaster? Its a bit of a slippery slope.

I still have my 42mm Ocean 1 GMT. Its got a 2892 in it thats smooth as silk. Is it as smooth as my Seamaster Pro? No, but its almost as acurate, and cost 1/4 the money. The fit and finish are well above average for the price class. It gets as many looks - outside WIS circles no one has a clue anyway. The real test will be whether or not its still running in 10 years, and if there is still a Steinhart to service it. I personally plan on battle testing the hell out of it :)

I personally have no problem with the whole 'homage' thing. At the end of the day, your're either going to drop $5000 on a Rollie or your not. The $400 homage isn't going to change that. What does concern me are the companies popping out of the woodwork to get on the "Swiss Watch bandwagon". The invented-herritage/history/pedigree doesn't sit well with me. Just be honest about it. As long as people know what they're getting, so be it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What about a review to underline all the small details of this watch that make it an incredible value (as you mentioned) ?

The Steinhart Ocean to me just looks like another Private Label Brand issue of a R´x Submariner-look-a-like or like others say "The Steinhart Ocean 1 bears a curious resemblance to the Rolex Submariner Date".
"Heart" of the Steinhart is the well known ETA 2824-2 which is nothing more than average. So, to be honest, I can´t see the incredible value.
First off this is a swiss movement, not a japenese movements with plastic parts. The bracelet has screws to hold the links not friction pins. Solid end links. The watch is 300m water resistant. Sapphire crystal, w/cyclops magnifer, scissor style wet suit extension. The finish on the watch overall is amazing. When you hold this watch you know its not a cheap knock off watch. Would you say the Omega Seamaster is a knockoff of the Sub? Alot of watch companies are taking designs from the Sub. Steinhart is not using a fake Rolex logo. Trust me when you hold this watch you will talk differently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You do know this guy....

...works for the company, no? He posted the same thing on a number of forums, including EOT.:rodekaart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First off this is a swiss movement, not a japenese movements with plastic parts. The bracelet has screws to hold the links not friction pins. Solid end links. The watch is 300m water resistant. Sapphire crystal, w/cyclops magnifer, scissor style wet suit extension. The finish on the watch overall is amazing. When you hold this watch you know its not a cheap knock off watch. Would you say the Omega Seamaster is a knockoff of the Sub? Alot of watch companies are taking designs from the Sub. Steinhart is not using a fake Rolex logo. Trust me when you hold this watch you will talk differently.
I know ETA is swiss, didn´t mention that because I thought it is obvious:)
Nevertheless: The movement is nothing more than average, case and bracelet with wet suit extention is comparable to the Robert E watches (which originate from the same source). I handled some of them at the Flora at the Cologne watch fair (would have liked to see them at Baselworld but couldn´t find their both - if there was one) and I couldn´t see the "incredible value" compared to other swiss watches for example Epos, Ollech & Wajs, Aero, Zeno (btw. The Zeno both was kinda overcrowded).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know ETA is swiss, didn´t mention that because I thought it is obvious:)
Nevertheless: The movement is nothing more than average, case and bracelet with wet suit extention is comparable to the Robert E watches (which originate from the same source). I handled some of them at the Flora at the Cologne watch fair (would have liked to see them at Baselworld but couldn´t find their both - if there was one) and I couldn´t see the "incredible value" compared to other swiss watches for example Epos, Ollech & Wajs, Aero, Zeno (btw. The Zeno both was kinda overcrowded).
IIUC, the ETA 289x series is the top of the ETA 28xx line. An "average" ETA 28xx would be the 2824-2, but even those come in several different grades. Top grade 2824/36 has pretty much the same escapement that one gets in the 289X series.

Or what am I missing here?

wtallman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IIUC, the ETA 289x series is the top of the ETA 28xx line. An "average" ETA 28xx would be the 2824-2, but even those come in several different grades. Top grade 2824/36 has pretty much the same escapement that one gets in the 289X series.

Or what am I missing here?

wtallman
Thanks for your contribution but I am aware of the ETA movements and different grades (see my posts here on WUS :) ) but the question is and was: What makes the incredible value of this particular watch ? The ETA 2824-2 doesn't. The case , the hands, what ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for your contribution but I am aware of the ETA movements and different grades (see my posts here on WUS :) ) but the question is and was: What makes the incredible value of this particular watch ? The ETA 2824-2 doesn't. The case , the hands, what ?
Just reread the thread and saw that I mistook the Ocean 1 GMT that a responder had for the watch in question. That watch was cited as having a ETA 2892. The one under discussion indeed has the 2824-2.

Sorry for the misread.

wtallman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to clear the air. I am not an employee for Steinhart, just a satisfied customer sharing what I believe is an excellent watch for the money. There are others out there that share the same feeling as me. Check the testamonials on their web page, these are from customers that are simply happy with their purchase.

·
Registered
41,864 Posts
:-D :-D :-D Since I work in a high end watch store, what can motivate me
to buy that knock-off crap? Maybe some real bad Scotch, I would have
to be in a stuper to do it.
Meanwhile, back to the Macallan.
Just to clear the air. I am not an employee for Steinhart, just a satisfied customer sharing what I believe is an excellent watch for the money. There are others out there that share the same feeling as me. Check the testamonials on their web page, these are from customers that are simply happy with their purchase.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.