WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey community,
this is my very first post on this forum so please excuse any mistakes I make ;)
I've already searched quite a bit in order to find my first "good" watch which should be a mechanical dive watch. I'm still a student/teenager so I don't have the money to afford my "dream" watches (Sinn U1 or H2O Orca) so I think I'll buy either a Hexa Osprey or Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 Premium. I like the features/stats of both of the watches but I've never handled them myself. How do the two watches compare in terms of quality, feel on the wirst, etc. and which one would you buy?
Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany :)

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
The Steiny is an absolute dream of a watch but I must say I was a little disappointed with how easily the clasp seemed to win scratches.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
steinhart OT500 is the better watch but the Osprey is a looker. I have owned both. Would repurchase the OT500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy the time spent here.

One factor which I would mention is the big difference in the weight of a titanium watch when compared to a stainless steel watch. I have owned both Steinhart and Hexa watch, but neither model you are considering. Both watches are good brands. It really depends on the one that "speaks" to you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Steinhart really is a great watch. I have not had a Hexa but would say the Steinhart stands out a mile foe looks, quality and value

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the Hexa, and even though it's going due to being too small for me I think it's a much nicer looking watch overall than the Steinhart. But then the Steinhart is titanium with a Swiss movement. You'll get a few responses to your question but as I've found on the forum it's all about your decision in the end. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I don't think this is a slam dunk at all. Yes, the Steinhart has a great movement and some Grade 5 Ti (not the entire watch), but it isn't without some warts either. W&W I believe did a review of it and summarised that some corners were definitely cut on finishing and materials to hit the (admittedly) great price point. The mismatch of Ti finish, materials, and colour are what caused me to cancel my order on it last year. If they would improve that case (Ocean Two-ish design?) with curved lugs and offer it in SS I would jump on it. I think it is still a great watch at the price point, and so too is the Hexa.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tbh I don't really don't know. I would have bought a pre-owned Osprey as they are out of stock on the website. There even was a eBay seller (some forum members think it's Hexa themselves) who sold movements and Ospreys for 350$ so they might have some financial problems or just wanted to get rid of their stock. They kind of hinted at a second run of the K500 on their FB page though so thry might just be really busy atm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think this is a slam dunk at all. Yes, the Steinhart has a great movement and some Grade 5 Ti (not the entire watch), but it isn't without some warts either. W&W I believe did a review of it and summarised that some corners were definitely cut on finishing and materials to hit the (admittedly) great price point. The mismatch of Ti finish, materials, and colour are what caused me to cancel my order on it last year. If they would improve that case (Ocean Two-ish design?) with curved lugs and offer it in SS I would jump on it. I think it is still a great watch at the price point, and so too is the Hexa.
As I said I don't have much money atm so no matter which watch I'm gonna buy I want it to be a reliable and comfortable piece of edc gear with no big flaws. If there are any major issues with both of the watches I'd be glad to know them. I didn't know the watch was only partly made of Ti (thought both the case and bracelet are entirely made of Ti except for the bezel). Which parts are made of other materials and did they cut corners in important places? Thanks for your reply Radar1. I was hoping you'd reply on this thread as I've seen countless of your always helpful answers to other members

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
As I said I don't have much money atm so no matter which watch I'm gonna buy I want it to be a reliable and comfortable piece of edc gear with no big flaws. If there are any major issues with both of the watches I'd be glad to know them. I didn't know the watch was only partly made of Ti (thought both the case and bracelet are entirely made of Ti except for the bezel). Which parts are made of other materials and did they cut corners in important places? Thanks for your reply Radar1. I was hoping you'd reply on this thread as I've seen countless of your always helpful answers to other members
The major components are all Ti - but in differing grades ( 5 vs 2) and colours/finishing type (brush vs something akin to bead blast, etc.). I have also read that the finishing on the bracelet and clasp is somewhat sub-par. Be aware as well that untreated Ti is going to scratch more easily than stainless steel. It is a great watch for the price point, but it's only fair to be made aware of some shortcomings as well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've not handled the Steinhart, but own an Osprey and find it very comfortable and overall a ton of watch for the money. The lugs are nicely angled which makes it sit comfortably low on my 7 inch wrist, the bracelet is solid, and a ratcheting clasp is nice for adjustment on the fly if necessary.

Mine is the charcoal dial version and I think it goes well with the matte ceramic bezel. The only color is the red tipped seconds hand, which makes for a very clean look.

It has applied indicies which is something I've discovered I really value in a watch as it gives the dial more texture and catches light in interesting ways.

In terms of the movement, the Miyota 9015 is very reliable and easily serviced if necessary. Some people complain about the rotor being 'loud'. I suppose if you're in a quiet place and swing the watch around you can hear it, but I don't think it's loud enough that you will ever notice in day to day normal life.

I've had my eye on that steinhart and am interested in giving one a try when some funds free up, but can say without reservations that the Hexa is a fantastic watch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have not handled either the Osprey or the Steinhart, but have strongly considered both in the past. I don't think you would go wrong with either...

If I may suggest an alternative, I would advise you to consider the Certina DS Action diver in this price category. They make it both in SS and TI, and both should roughly fall into your budget (I am guessing what it is based on the known cost of the Steiny). I have handled many watches in the $400 - $1000 category, and the DS Action diver is a true standout. It may be a "step below" on the specs as compared to the Steiny and Osprey, but I promise it makes up for it in fit and finish ;).

Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I have not handled either the Osprey or the Steinhart, but have strongly considered both in the past. I don't think you would go wrong with either...

If I may suggest an alternative, I would advise you to consider the Certina DS Action diver in this price category. They make it both in SS and TI, and both should roughly fall into your budget (I am guessing what it is based on the known cost of the Steiny). I have handled many watches in the $400 - $1000 category, and the DS Action diver is a true standout. It may be a "step below" on the specs as compared to the Steiny and Osprey, but I promise it makes up for it in fit and finish ;).

Best of luck with your decision.
+1 on the Certina. Phenomenal watch at a similar price point.

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4484.jpg

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
GSBB,

Since you're in Germany, grab a pal and take a trip to Steinhart in Boschstr.6, 86391 Stadtbergen.....I don't know where you live but if you have the time visit.....

/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hey community,
this is my very first post on this forum so please excuse any mistakes I make ;)
I've already searched quite a bit in order to find my first "good" watch which should be a mechanical dive watch. I'm still a student/teenager so I don't have the money to afford my "dream" watches (Sinn U1 or H2O Orca) so I think I'll buy either a Hexa Osprey or Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 Premium. I like the features/stats of both of the watches but I've never handled them myself. How do the two watches compare in terms of quality, feel on the wirst, etc. and which one would you buy?
Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany :)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I own both, both are nice pieces, you can't go wrong with either. Hexa could be a problem if you are needing warranty service, as it's up in the air if they are, or will remain in business. Steinhart has great customer service. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I own both, both are nice pieces, you can't go wrong with either. Hexa could be a problem if you are needing warranty service, as it's up in the air if they are, or will remain in business. Steinhart has great customer service. Hope this helps a bit.
Those are definitely valid points. There was some indication that the recent liquidation of the remaining Ospreys was being done to provide capital for a new project. I guess we have to wait and see. Clearly some mistakes were made on the most recent Hexa model (failure to fully rectify the dial marker lume issue and ill-advised initial MSRP), but they are very solid watches and we can always hope that they have taken away some "lessons learned" and come back strong.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Here is a review I did of the steinhart last year. At that time I had never handled or owned a hexa. My opinion generally Remains the Same about steinhardt ot500, but the field of play has certainly gotten more competitive since then. But if you are definitely looking for a titanium watch it's hard to go wrong with the OT 500. I would definitely consider the certina titanium d/s action diver as well. If your budget can stretch If your budget can stretch a little more I would also tell you to look at the Seiko Shogun. Especially if you are seeking a titanium watch.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2545490

Good luck with your decision making.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
The Steiny is an absolute dream of a watch but I must say I was a little disappointed with how easily the clasp seemed to win scratches.
Not sure if they've changed the clasp but I've had mine awhile and I've not got any scratches yet.........

OP go for the steinhart, it's a brilliant watch.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts