WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to grab one of the Steinhart OVM 39 limited release pieces a couple of weeks ago. It's my first Steinhart and so far I'm quite impressed for the price point. What appealed to me was the smaller size (but not too small) for my 6.5 inch wrist. The watch arrived to the US in a couple days from Gnomon in Singapore with no problems. This is also my first ETA 2824-2.

The watch case and bracelet have a good hand-finished feel you would expect from a more expensive watch. The domed crystal gives the dial some interesting dimension, although it is quite prone to glare, and at some angles it can almost seem cloudy. But those are known drawbacks of domes, not the watchmakers fault.

The dial is mat black, which I love. In direct sunlight you can see that it is in fact a very dark gray, almost like a gunmetal color. This was a great choice on Steinhart's part because it is dark enough to appear black in most light, but still has some depth and dimension to keep it interesting and not too dressy. The mat color of the dial helps keep it in a military/field watch style on the wrist.

The hands are great and have a lot of character, although they are quite large (some have speculated that Steinhart saved money by using the same size hands as are on the 42). At times the hands can seem to crowd the dial, and if I had my choice I would have preferred hands that were just a hair smaller. But this is no deal breaker. Overall the hands work for me. I love the arrow-tipped second sweeper.

The bracelet is great quality. Very easy to resize with the screws. The outer edges are polished. The tops and bottoms of the links are brushed. There are two half links provided that help with accurate sizing. There are four micro adjustments on the clasp. The bracelet tapers from 20 down to 16. The taper is quite narrow for my taste. I would have preferred 20-18. Going down to 16 gives the bracelet quite a dressy look on the wrist, but some prefer this for comfort and range of wrist flex. On a small wrist like mine the extra room is not needed.

The clasp is nice but if I have one criticism it's that it's a little sticky on opening. You really have to get your fingernail in there and yank it open. I would have preferred push button. The only other criticism I have of the bracelet is that the micro adjustment cover does have a bit of play against the first link, which creates a tiny jingle sound when you shake your wrist. Other than that it is very tight and solid.

The bezel has a nice ratcheting action and is aligned perfectly, although as others have reported there is some noticeable play between slots. But it does not move on wrist. A bump will not move it out of place, so once you set it where you want it you are good.

The crown action is good, for this price point. The winding could be a little smother, but at $499 I'm not complaining.

Overall, I'm thrilled that Steinhart is making watches of this quality at this price point. I think 500 is the sweet spot for watches that I am interested in buying and I really hope they do more with this 39mm case. It is such a great size for so many wrists. 39mm is an incredibly versatile and popular size. I'm surprised more makers are not embracing this size. Maybe they will start to.

Size compared to an SKX:

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Great review. Matches my expectation of this watch. Thanks for sharing. :-!

·
Registered
137 Posts
To be honest, I was very excited about this release and bought mine very quickly. However, it doesn’t get much wrist time compared with my other recent purchases. I liked this watch in its 42mm version, due to my 6.5-inch wrist I always thought it would be too large for me. This 39mm is not exactly a scaled down version of the big brother, proportion of difference parts have been changed which gives the watch a different look. This may well be the reason why I am not liking it as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
To be honest, I was very excited about this release and bought mine very quickly. However, it doesn’t get much wrist time compared with my other recent purchases. I liked this watch in its 42mm version, due to my 6.5-inch wrist I always thought it would be too large for me. This 39mm is not exactly a scaled down version of the big brother, proportion of difference parts have been changed which gives the watch a different look. This may well be the reason why I am not liking it as much.

Yes, I can understand your feel about your 39 mm OVM. I have same wrist size as yours, and I still own the 42 mm OVM. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, I can understand your feel about your 39 mm OVM. I have same wrist size as yours, and I still own the 42 mm OVM. :)
The idea of flipping has appeared more than once already, I will try to find a 42mm to try on and then decide.

So you don’t think the 42mm is too large?

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
The idea of flipping has appeared more than once already, I will try to find a 42mm to try on and then decide.

So you don’t think the 42mm is too large?

About 4 years ago, when I first got it, I did feel it is a bit large, when my wrist size was around 6"-6.25". Now, not so much. Wear it once in a while and loved how toolish my 42 mm OVM is, all fully brushed and well proportions. Imo, 42 mm OVM is really design for men. Tough ones, that is, lol.

A few months back, I got the first batch of Ocean One 39 mm black. But it was a bit too blingy to me. So I know how you feel because all 39 mm share the same case, bezel and bracelet, which was meant for the ladies market. Too bad, we have such puny wrists that Steinhart didn't want to design a decent 39 mm OVM suitable for men. And I don't blame them, as Germans are usually bigger in size, both men and women, lol.

No worries, I'll just wait it out for 39 mm OVM V2. Hopefully, my wishes will come through by then. :)

Reactions: kelt and nodnod222

·
Registered
137 Posts
About 4 years ago, when I first got it, I did feel it is a bit large, when my wrist size was around 6"-6.25". Now, not so much. Wear it once in a while and loved how toolish my 42 mm OVM is, all fully brushed and well proportions. Imo, 42 mm OVM is really design for men. Tough ones, that is, lol.

A few months back, I got the first batch of Ocean One 39 mm black. But it was a bit too blingy to me. So I know how you feel because all 39 mm share the same case, bezel and bracelet, which was meant for the ladies market. Too bad, we have such puny wrists that Steinhart didn't want to design a decent 39 mm OVM suitable for men. And I don't blame them, as Germans are usually bigger in size, both men and women, lol.

No worries, I'll just wait it out for 39 mm OVM V2. Hopefully, my wishes will come through by then. :)
Very well put, SWM.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Exactly my thoughts.

1.Take OVM any version, e.g Mark3
2.scale it down, lets say for example 93% of the original size (oops, thats would be exactly 39mm :) )
3.Now compare this watch to Gnomon 39mm OVM : They look completely different, and in my opinion, the one you just shrunk looks so much better and proportions are exactly spot on. Same can not be said about gnomon 39mm.

Theres just something weird about Gnomon's 39mm OVM every time I look at it. Its bit like seeing your unmirrored photo from a mirror - you know its you but something is wrong.

Dont get me wrong, Gnomon OVM 39 is nice addition and nice for people who like it, and yes, I do secretly admire it but cant buy it for the reasons above. If Steinhart would relase OVM Mark3 just shrunk down to 39mm, I Would buy it in a heartbeat and would wear it forever.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Exactly my thoughts.

1.Take OVM any version, e.g Mark3
2.scale it down, lets say for example 93% of the original size (oops, thats would be exactly 39mm :) )
3.Now compare this watch to Gnomon 39mm OVM : They look completely different, and in my opinion, the one you just shrunk looks so much better and proportions are exactly spot on. Same can not be said about gnomon 39mm.

Theres just something weird about Gnomon's 39mm OVM every time I look at it. Its bit like seeing your unmirrored photo from a mirror - you know its you but something is wrong.

Dont get me wrong, Gnomon OVM 39 is nice addition and nice for people who like it, and yes, I do secretly admire it but cant buy it for the reasons above. If Steinhart would relase OVM Mark3 just shrunk down to 39mm, I Would buy it in a heartbeat and would wear it forever.
Yup, this is about the same I have in mind too. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Interesting discussion here about the 39 vs 42. I have never handled the 42 in person and so I am curious if anyone out there who owns both has side by side photos to compare them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, Gnomon sent out an email notice that the 39 was back in stock last night. By this morning sold out again. I would recommend anyone interested in this watch get on the notification list at Gnomon as they have not stated a final production number. Would not be surprised if they make another batch at some point.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
By the way, Gnomon sent out an email notice that the 39 was back in stock last night. By this morning sold out again. I would recommend anyone interested in this watch get on the notification list at Gnomon as they have not stated a final production number. Would not be surprised if they make another batch at some point.
See post 328 over here regarding numbers

https://www.watchuseek.com/f275/39mm-ovm-out-now-exclusively-gnomon-4588715.html

Sorry, hard to link or do much using Tapatalk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also got the 30mm, #35. If your in to this watch for the limited aspect of it, I wouldn't bother. From the Gnomon site, as a stand alone graph:

This isn't a limited edition watch, but a numbered limited production watch.

Whatever that means.

That being said, I took delivery of it some time in December. I've had an Ocean One 39 for several months and recommend the brand. Their braceltes taper very nicely like many vintage divers on steel - from 20 mm at the lig to 16 mm at the clasp. They wear very very comfortably. Despite that fact I swapped for a two piece nylon strap to go with the 70's military vibe. Make a great daily watch and wears beautifully on my 7 inch wrist. Wish I had a Mil Sub budget, but I can wear this thing around with no fear of damaging a prized investment and have been doing so regularly.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
To my eye, it appears the hands are the same from the 42mm version, they look too large on the smaller 39mm version.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
To my eye, it appears the hands are the same from the 42mm version, they look too large on the smaller 39mm version.
The length is definitely longer but the hour hand actually looks thicker on the 39.

Follow me on Instagram- @Dec1968watches

1 - 20 of 36 Posts