WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing on this forum of people having problems with their Steinharts such as misalgined GMT hands, crowns not screwing in properly etc and I just want to let you all know that I went to pick up a Submariner today and on just the watches I looked at these were the problems I found.

Both of the Submariners had misaligned bezels. One of the GMTs had a misaligned GMT hand. I ended up not getting the Sub due to the QC issues with those as they only had 2.

That should let everyone know its not just Steinhart but rolex has all the same problems and I think for a Rolex to exhibit the same QC issues when their watch costs 20 times more kind of sheds some light on the watch industry and how these things happen, even on $10K watches.

I returned one of my Steinharts today due to a case issue and while I was at Fedex they were blown away that Steinhart was paying for the whole shipping with the included Fedex account number. They said they have never seen that before. So even though you may get a dud once in a while, I think for the price and customer service they provide there is no better watch maker especially at that price with a Sub diver feel.

Discuss.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer accepted the goods and even showed them to a customer in the first place. IMO one of the dealer's responsibilities is to do a QC before they put them on display.

Both my Sub and GMT master II (and several other Rolexes) were perfect (purchased new from an official dealer) when I picked them up and still do not display those issues after 16 years. Whilst all my Steinhart GMT's (I have three) have slightly misaligned GMT hands, I understand that it's partly to do with the physical limitations of the (let's face it) budget movement. I would also tend to accept these minor flaws for the price I paid.

Perhaps QC at Rolex has slipped over the years or the dealer got the stock from unofficial sources but to be fair, it's hard to comment on Rolex's QC standards without further information.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer accepted the goods and even showed them to a customer in the first place. IMO one of the dealer's responsibilities is to do a QC before they put them on display.
+1. I had to send back a Steinhart GMT twice. The first time was due to a misaligned GMT hand, and the second time was due to the watch losing almost 2 minutes per day. Steinhart paid for the shipping on both occasions, and eventually, the problems were fixed. Your post does put things into perspective, and if anything stresses the importance of not taking things for granted and assuming that because something costs a lot of money, there won't be any problems.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
3 Steinies bought(OVM Gen.1,OOV & OOV DLC)ZERO problems!!!

Reactions: kelt
1 - 4 of 4 Posts