WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here lives in Canada has had a Steinhart watch shipped to them.

I am curious to know how it worked out with the details, were you charged brokerage, duty and all that other nonsense that can happen if the wrong courier is used etc....

Let me know if you have any insight

Thanks

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Wondering if anyone here lives in Canada has had a Steinhart watch shipped to them.

I am curious to know how it worked out with the details, were you charged brokerage, duty and all that other nonsense that can happen if the wrong courier is used etc....

Let me know if you have any insight

Thanks
I've received many watches from Germany. Typically, Steinhart included, they want to ship via one of the big courier companies. The problem with those companies is that they're worse than the tax man. You will get nailed with duty and GST charges, PLUS, the courier company will ding you for their brokerage fee (because they were nice enough to clear the watch through customs on your behalf).

The last Steinhart I received, the Marine Chronometer, cost me over $100 more than the cost of the watch.

Here's what you can try. I always insist now (and Herr Steinhart is very accommodating, though he's not a fan of other shipping methods) on having watches shipped using either the sender's local postal service, or in the case of watches coming from Germany, using DHL (yes, they're a courier too, but they're somehow linked to Deutsche Post I think).

I've found that my chances of the watch arriving at my door without ANY additional charges is greater than 50 percent with this method.

The extras are the silent killer when it comes to watch purchases for me. Once I've stomached the cost of the watch there's the seller's shipping charge and all the other ones I detailed earlier to consider.

We'll leave the discussion of exchange rates for another time... :-d

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's off topic I suppose, but on similar note. Uwe or maybe others here, do you have any experience with shipping from States/Canada to Europe and the Customs/Vat charges? I would like to purchase a watch in the forums sales corner but most sellers seem to be from States. What would be the best method then? Needless to say, I don't want to get hit...(Considering value of the watch in mind I should probably get it insured and that might be additional problem)... :think:

I've received many watches from Germany. Typically, Steinhart included, they want to ship via one of the big courier companies. The problem with those companies is that they're worse than the tax man. You will get nailed with duty and GST charges, PLUS, the courier company will ding you for their brokerage fee (because they were nice enough to clear the watch through customs on your behalf).

The last Steinhart I received, the Marine Chronometer, cost me over $100 more than the cost of the watch.

Here's what you can try. I always insist now (and Herr Steinhart is very accommodating, though he's not a fan of other shipping methods) on having watches shipped using either the sender's local postal service, or in the case of watches coming from Germany, using DHL (yes, they're a courier too, but they're somehow linked to Deutsche Post I think).

I've found that my chances of the watch arriving at my door without ANY additional charges is greater than 50 percent with this method.

The extras are the silent killer when it comes to watch purchases for me. Once I've stomached the cost of the watch there's the seller's shipping charge and all the other ones I detailed earlier to consider.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the response. I am all too aware of the duty, brokerage etc from dealing with auto realted items, mostly wheels and tires before tire rack got a standard rate together for shipping to Canada.

It is hard to buy something when you are no 100% sure how much it is going to cost you once it arrives.

I guess I will ask them if they would be willing to help me out and ship via DHL. I know that courier well as I use them fromt time to time to ship. Their rates even domestically are very fair.

Who would you suggest I ask to speak with to increase the chances that I might not have to pay the extra charges?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Who would you suggest I ask to speak with to increase the chances that I might not have to pay the extra charges?
Thanks
Just email Steinhart through the store and explain in the email that you want the watch shipped via Deutsche Post/DHL. Either Guenther or Sabine will probably reply. They'll tell you that it's not a good idea to ship DHL because they don't provide a tracking number outside of Germany. I'm not sure why they think/say that because I've had other watches shipped to me from Germany via DHL and they had tracking numbers that I could use.

I was about to order another Steinhart recently and they had agreed to do it, so I don't see why they wouldn't for you as well.

Which model are you interested in?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
It's off topic I suppose, but on similar note. Uwe or maybe others here, do you have any experience with shipping from States/Canada to Europe and the Customs/Vat charges? I would like to purchase a watch in the forums sales corner but most sellers seem to be from States. What would be the best method then? Needless to say, I don't want to get hit...(Considering value of the watch in mind I should probably get it insured and that might be additional problem)... :think:
Alas, I'm one of the nutters that NEVER sells a watch. So I have no idea about how it would work going in the opposite direction.

Your best bet is to find other WIS people in your country (Ireland?) and poll them for their experiences. I would post something to that effect in the General watch forum as you're more likely to get replies there.

The best alternative would be if you knew someone in the US that could receive the watch and then forward it to you stuffed inside of a dead fish. Eventually the smell will wash off the watch, and you will have saved a bundle... :-!

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best alternative would be if you knew someone in the US that could receive the watch and then forward it to you stuffed inside of a dead fish. Eventually the smell will wash off the watch, and you will have saved a bundle... :-!
Thanks, but it wasn't going to be a diver watch :-d

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just email Steinhart through the store and explain in the email that you want the watch shipped via Deutsche Post/DHL. Either Guenther or Sabine will probably reply. They'll tell you that it's not a good idea to ship DHL because they don't provide a tracking number outside of Germany. I'm not sure why they think/say that because I've had other watches shipped to me from Germany via DHL and they had tracking numbers that I could use.

I was about to order another Steinhart recently and they had agreed to do it, so I don't see why they wouldn't for you as well.

Which model are you interested in?
Thanks for the response.

Going to order one for sure maybe two of them. The current limited edition silver and a perhaps another.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes, try to get it sent via the postal system. I've never had to pay gst, pst, duty or fees when recieving a watch by mail.:-!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Note: I am reviving an old thread here, but one that I used in purchasing my Steinhart and having it shipped to me in Canada.

I just ordered and received my Steinhart OVM and I had them ship the package through DHL. Having the DHL ship method saved me between $80 and $120 dollars in duty, tax, and brokerage fees, I only had to sign for the package when picking it up at the postal outlet. I did not pay any more than the invoice price.

Thank you Steinhart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great customer service.

I received my watch 2 weeks after ordering and it took 6 business days in shipping/customs. Also Steinhart emailed me a valid tracking # for the DHL website, after the parcel landed in Canada DHL supplied another tracking # for Canada Post. I tracked the package right to my town first through the DHL site then through the CP site.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Using the DHL method is nothing new, it's the way I used to always get watches delivered to me from Germany. However, more and more companies, Steinhart included, began a policy of not allowing alternate shipping methods opting for FedEx-only deliveries. That you got them to use DHL is a change back to the way things used to be; I wonder if this will be a more permanent option now or if you just got lucky?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Do you happen to know the rationale behind that decision Uwe? Is there a reason FedEx is preferred or is it more about ease of using a single supplier of shipping services and/or the ability to get a better rate due to larger volume? I might enquire if they're willing to do that with the Apollon I just ordered, otherwise I'll just have it shipped to my US drop location as currently scheduled.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Do you happen to know the rationale behind that decision Uwe?
Yes, I was told that it was FedEx's tracking, faster delivery, and that one company was responsible for the entire delivery. Perhaps most important for Steinhart, it was simpler and more efficient for them to just ship everything using one method.

When you use DHL, the tracking can be dodgy at times (Canada Post does NOT always pick-up the tracking end of the delivery), it does take longer, sometimes much longer, and you are adding another link to the process. I have had a couple of items that I ordered (not watches) go missing using the DHL-Canada Post method and lost my money as a consequence. However, it's still my preferred method.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you open a business account with fedex, they will give you a discount on every package you send.

I sound like a fedex commercial.
lol, but a valid one. Most couriers do this, an obvious advantage for a company like Steinhart that does much of their business in large numbers of individual direct-to-customer shipments. I was wondering more if there was a different reason, such as the ones Uwe outlined. I'm sure it was a combination of both logistics and economics. Either way, emailed Sabine to see if DHL is an option for me. If it is then great, if not it just means another stop on one of our bi-monthly shopping trips across the border to Blaine/Bellingham.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using the DHL method is nothing new, it's the way I used to always get watches delivered to me from Germany. However, more and more companies, Steinhart included, began a policy of not allowing alternate shipping methods opting for FedEx-only deliveries. That you got them to use DHL is a change back to the way things used to be; I wonder if this will be a more permanent option now or if you just got lucky?

Yeah it was this thread that got me to ask for DHL in the first place, basically I told them that I was fine with a longer wait for delivery and possibly no tracking number, they said okay!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I may be a nut, but to me saving $50 bucks on a watch I want is not really an issue... I had at least 10 watches shipped from Germany and all by FedEx ( except one by UPS which is worse IMO)... Yeah you will pay import taxes and FedEx will charge you $10 brokerage fee, but they will get this package to you in a day or two with proper tracking and I find FedEx very flexible in terms of delivery options...
Just my two cents...

p.s.
Ofcourse sometimes it gets ridiculous...like today I got a rubber strap from Steinhart worth $67 CAD and end up paying additional $27 in taxes and charges when I picked it up from FedEx, ...sigh...but I can live with it... To think of it we get ripped off in taxes and gas prices here in Canada even more....so what are you gonna do :)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts