WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Stem problem on a 6119c Seiko 5

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  anzac1957 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

If this needs to be re-posted elsewhere, please let me know. I thought this would be an appropriate forum since the watch in question is at least 40 years old.

I've been trying to do some repair work on my Grandfather's Seiko 5. According to family lore, he brought it back to the US from Japan in the early 70s. He certainly wore it as a great deal of the gold finish on the bracelet is well-worn. Seems like when I first obtained it after his death, the crystal had some issues, but it looks more or less ok now. The movement looks to be in good condition.

The movement inside is a Seiko calibre 6119c automatic day/date, no manual wind. The crystal has to be removed in order to access the movement.

The problem is that the threaded section of the stem that screws into the crown is slightly too short. If I screw the crown down fully onto the stem, the time set function works, but the quick-set for day and date no longer work. If I loosen the crown far enough to enable the quick-sets to work, the crown is on the stem precariously and threatens to fall off. I would hate to lose it since it's original to the watch. I wonder if the stem got broken at some point, but don't have any way to know for sure.

It's not the biggest deal since the watch functions otherwise and seems reasonably accurate. But I like for things to work properly when they can, and I would like to put the watch into my wear rotation.

Is a new or used stem the best way to solve this, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you,
-William

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi there,

got any pics??

Also, whats the model number? The case back should be stamped with a 8 digit number which starts with the movement cal... should look like this:

6119-XXXX

Marc

Reactions: Apollonaught
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.