WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife wears a FitBit which I think looks atrocious!
It barely fits her <6" wrist, looks ridiculous, and is not very functional. So case size under 36mm is likely best.

She likes the step count function.

Her career is a physician's assistant, so I think she would benefit from a seconds hand function.
She never knew about mechanical watches, and thinks the movements that don't need a battery are cool, especially since it is powered by movement.

That said, she would likely appreciate kinetics or solars.

Neither of us are G-Shock fans.

I would like to get her a gift for Christmas of a watch. Something that looks good on a bracelet or strap.
Perhaps a blue dial or hands to match her gorgeous eyes.

Her wedding band and rings are platinum, so something silver, titanium, or stainless to match would be good.

I'm interested in something under $500 street price that would perform a step function and perhaps provide an alert of a text message, but that is not essential.

Something that looks classy and classic.

I know there are some good options out there, I'm just a bit stumped.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
Dac - this is coming from me who can’t abide the things but perhaps she could become an Apple Watch customer.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Frederique Constant does some hybrid smart watches that look like a traditional watch but have many fitbit features. Some put this functionality in the strap rather than the watch itself. Not sure if any are mechanical movements, they may all be quartz. I've also seen "smart" watch bands that have fitbit-esque capability that can be paired with any watch head.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Withings Steel HR? Comes in 36 and 40mm sizes HR Sport is only available in black but standard model is in silver or rose gold with a choice dials.

I have a black HR Sport (40mm) and it looks just like a normal watch but with step count on the 6 o'clock sub dial. Records HR, steps, distance, links to a smart phone so you can see your exercise route on a map (will also show txt messages and phone numbers when phone is called but I have that switched off as I just don't need it). They have a range of straps (rubber, leather and a bracelet - all with quick release springbars).

The step count sub-dial is configurable; I have mine set so one complete revolution is 10,000 steps and each major sub-division is 1,000.

Mine's looking a bit tatty in the photos but it gets a lot of use (and abuse). Oh, and it's sapphire crystal on the front and on the back over the HR monitor.

Reactions: dacvibe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Withings Steel HR? Comes in 36 and 40mm sizes HR Sport is only available in black but standard model is in silver or rose gold with a choice dials.

I have a black HR Sport (40mm) and it looks just like a normal watch but with step count on the 6 o'clock sub dial. Records HR, steps, distance, links to a smart phone so you can see your exercise route on a map (will also show txt messages and phone numbers when phone is called but I have that switched off as I just don't need it). View attachment 15522093
That's a cool looking piece of tech!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some put this functionality in the strap rather than the watch itself. Not sure if any are mechanical movements, they may all be quartz. I've also seen "smart" watch bands that have fitbit-esque capability that can be paired with any watch head.
I had no idea - any brand recommendations or reviews to read?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rather like the design of the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2. Don`t own one or will ever do, but as far as smart watches go, I think that is a rather clean design. Think the smaller size is 40mm but looks like it would wear smaller.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
My Alpina Startimer Pilot Shadow came with an "e-strap". It tracks steps, sleep, activity/inactivity. I've never used it, as I wasnt a fan of the 22-18mm taper.

Its yours if you want, the buckle itself can fit on any strap as long as its designed for an 18mm buckle.

PM me of you're interested.

Edit: pics.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I had no idea - any brand recommendations or reviews to read?
Frederique Constant also has/had similar tech built into some of the buckles of their mechanical watches. I think they were marketed under the name “e-strap.”

EDIT: I posted before reading Bearded’s post above. What he said...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Alpina Startimer Pilot Shadow came with an "e-strap". It tracks steps, sleep, activity/inactivity. I've never used it, as I wasnt a fan of the 22-18mm taper.
Its yours if you want, the buckle itself can fit on any strap as long as its designed for an 18mm buckle.
PM me of you're interested.
Very generous - PM sent

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
How about a watch with a pulse meter scale on the dial or bezel. Have seen then in my browsing. It’s at least medical related. I think!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know there are watches like Casio Oceanus, Seiko Astron, Citizen, etc that have some Bluetooth integration, while also being a great timepiece. I would ideally find something like one of those that also has step-count function

Also, it seems like pedometers were around a long time and could be an extra complication innovation for watchmakers that are in-demand as much or more than chronographs, GMTs, or Tachymeters.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I know there are watches like Casio Oceanus, Seiko Astron, Citizen, etc that have some Bluetooth integration, while also being a great timepiece. I would ideally find something like one of those that also has step-count function

Also, it seems like pedometers were around a long time and could be an extra complication innovation for watchmakers that are in-demand as much or more than chronographs, GMTs, or Tachymeters.
The first pedometers were mechanical, but building one into a wristwatch is probably a no-go. I don't think enough of the "jolt" from walking that is needed to trigger a mechanical pedometer makes it to the wrist. And softening the spring to detect lower amplitude inputs may mean that it registers any arm movement as a step. Modern accelerometers paired with some programming logic are a remarkable thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts