WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steve McQueen wore a Rolex Submariner No Date

The King of Cool had great taste in watches. Here he is sporting the clean lines of the classic "no date" sub. Looks like he gave the 5513 quite a bit of wrist time given these 2 photos were take several years apart.

McQueen circa 1979 from "The Hunter."

Early 1970s. Also sporting classic Persol 714 folding sunglasses. 714s were the folding variant of the 649.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Although Steve McQueen's watch persona is often referenced by the Heuer Monaco, it was said that he had a nice collection of watches -- including more than one Rolex. I'll see if I can dig up a picture I have of Steve McQueen wearing an interesting timepiece.

Here's another star tidbit...
Q. Do you know what kind of watch Bill Cosby sometimes wore during the "Fat Albert" days?
A. Rolex GMT Master

·
4,393 Posts
I think what McQueen is wearing is a 5512, the chronometer

version of the no date sub.

·
4,393 Posts
I think that is a UROFA caliber Hanhart

it may have been on of the other caliber 59 watches though, like Tutima, etc.

Notice the asymetrical distance between the pushers and the crown. Classic tell tale sign.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I think that is a UROFA caliber Hanhart

it may have been on of the other caliber 59 watches though, like Tutima, etc.

Notice the asymetrical distance between the pushers and the crown. Classic tell tale sign.
Thanks! I googled Hanhart and looked at some of their offerings. Maybe it's a Hanhart Admiral? It looks very similar.

·
Registered
832 Posts

Hi could someone please explain the Steve Mcqueen rolex explorer link,and secondly what watch he wore in Bullitt,
thanks Nick.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Hi could someone please explain the Steve Mcqueen rolex explorer link,and secondly what watch he wore in Bullitt,
thanks Nick.

Photo from FilmStew.com

I'm still looking for that info, but here's a good quote regarding Steve McQueen and his watches: "McQueen's style coups included having a Rolex named after him (The Rolex Explorer II [ref. 1655] is officially known as the 'McQueen Rolex') and making the Heuer Monaco wristwatch which he sported in Le Mans so popular that it was re-released in the 1990s..."

McQueen also had great taste in cars (Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Siata...) and women (Jacqueline Bisset, Ali McGraw, Natalie Wood, Raquel Welch, Ann Margret, Tuesday Weld...) -- even if some them wore only on-screen forays (meaning both cars and women). :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanks Nick.
Do you have a screengrab of the Bullitt watch? If not, at what point in the film does the watch appear?

·
Registered
238 Posts

Do you have a screengrab of the Bullitt watch? If not, at what point in the film does the watch appear?
I read somewhere that the watch is visible in a couple of the driving scenes -- shown from McQueen's back (as if the camera man was sitting in the back seat). Haven't seen the movie in quite awhile, so I'm not sure if what I read is true. BTW, from my reading, the article says that there are cuts to places where the stunt man (Bud Elkins) is driving. In those shots, you can see Elkins' watch on his left wrist. Only the shots with the watch on the right wrist are Steve McQueen.

ADD: I just found two shots of McQueen during the filming of Bullitt. Neither shows the watch face, but both clearly show a watch with a dark leather strap and full-size head.

While we're waiting for some to screencap it for us, here's another photo of McQueen wearing a Rolex Submariner (that's his daughter Terry on the right).

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Steve McQueen's Rolex Submariner

The King of Cool had great taste in watches. Here he is sporting the clean lines of the classic "no date" sub. Looks like he gave the 5513 quite a bit of wrist time given these 2 photos were take several years apart.
YEP, he also wore a Rolex Submariner in the movie Towering Inferno. Here are two scans from that film (found them on mcqueenonline.com).

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, here is a blow up and crop of the Rolex McQueen is wearing above. Looks like the verbiage is COSC certified.

So is this a 5512 or 5513?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, here is a blow up and crop of the Rolex McQueen is wearing above. Looks like the verbiage is COSC certified.

So is this a 5512 or 5513?

That is a 5512. While some 5512's ended up with non-chronometer (aka 5513) dials. Rolex didn't swap dials the other way 'round. BTW, I found several more pictures of Steve McQueen wearing a Rolex Submariner. Check out the other posts and attachments.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the watch in Bullitt. Anyone know what this is?

Interesting pilot's watch. Maybe a 32-38 mm? Looks like it has 24 hour info next to the traditional hour markers. I don't think there is a UTC/GMT hand...

Note the white sword minute and hour hands.

·
Registered
129 Posts
He also had one of the best vintage motorcycle collections around (200+). I guess he was what you could call a man's man. He was my favorite all time actor, I just loved all his movies.

On a side note someone mentioned Bud Ekins doing the stunts for him. They were also very good friends, Bud also had a hand in pecuring a lot of bikes for him back in the 60's and 70's. Also I see that Bud passed away a couple of weeks ago.

S

·
0 Posts

Thanks! I googled Hanhart and looked at some of their offerings. Maybe it's a Hanhart Admiral? It looks very similar.

After hours of research I came to the conclusion that it´s probably a Hanhart Type 417, which was also issued to the German Airforce in the 50ties, like the Vixa Type 20 (made by Hanhart) was issued to the French Airforce. The Vixa Type 20 and Type 417 are most likely identical.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts