WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Stingray II is live!

11K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  boatswain 
#1 ·
I just got an email saying that ordering of the Stingray II started at 10am EST today. There are aluminum and acrylic inlay options, but it looks like a date dial is the only option. I didn't see an option for no date.

It looks like delivery will be next month.

#49 ·
Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Clock

Making good on my threat to continue posting my crappy cell phone pics! Still really enjoying this watch.

As a side note, I’m liking the acrylic bezel insert more and more, even over my other watches with sapphire bezel inserts.

The numbers under a sapphire bezel insert appear almost flat, like a photograph behind a glass frame. The numbers under the acrylic almost appear a bit raised (like a 3-D effect).

Some might argue a sapphire insert would be more robust, but I’ve also seen them crack and shatter with even a slight impact.

Given this, I’m wondering if acrylic might actually be the better bezel insert material as it will scratch, but not likely to shatter.

#50 ·
I think the 3D numerals on the acrylic insert are one of the coolest things about these watches.

Hopefully it stands up well and doesn’t suffer major scratches that can’t be polished out.

And I’ll be that guy…[emoji849][emoji51]…how the lume[emoji41] ?

#51 ·
I think the 3D numerals on the acrylic insert are one of the coolest things about these watches.

Hopefully it stands up well and doesn’t suffer major scratches that can’t be polished out.

And I’ll be that guy…[emoji849][emoji51]…how the lume[emoji41] ?
LOL - "That guy"! I have a patch for my son's hat that says "that guy". It's very appropriate for him.

OK- honest answer is good, not great. To me, "great" are my Seiko divers and a few micros I've owned in the past (Helson, Tactico, etc.). This is a few steps behind those torches, but still adequate.

If you think of a Seiko diver (Shogun, MM 300, etc.) as a "10", this is an "8". I think a lot of this is due to the comparatively smaller lume plots on the dial and the relatively thinner hands (with correspondingly less room to hold lume paint).

For another comparison example, using the same scale as above, my Synchron Military is probably only a "6". This was kind of surprising and a bit disappointing as one would assume the much broader hand design would hold more lume material, but I still really enjoy that watch as well.

#52 ·
Thanks![emoji106][emoji846]

8/10 makes sense as you described.

I’m also curious what exactly “arclite” lume is?

I suspect it’s top grade X1 C1(day white/ night green) SLN. Perhaps MKII is just rebranding it to sound more exciting, or maybe it is a new and different type of lume. [emoji2369]

C1 generally has a bad rap but since going to the x1 grade of it it seems to have improved markedly. CW watches probably most notably now use X1 C1 on their divers. And those have improved a lot since they used lower grades of C1.

#53 · (Edited)
Back to the sapphire versus acrylic bezel insert thing, Demo (Image credit to Demo who is a much better photographer than I'll every be) just posted a really good photo of his Synchron Military that helps illustrates the difference between a well done sapphire insert and a well done acrylic insert.

You can see how the bezel numbers and indices appear almost "flat" and all on one plane versus in my photo above the bezel markings appear raised off the black surface of the bezel. Definitely a cool effect with the acrylic bezel insert.

Again, I own and enjoy my Synchron Military, so I'm not knocking it at all. I was just surprised about how noticeable the visual difference was.

#54 ·
Watch Hand Analog watch Azure Clock

I promise you guys are going to get tired of my crappy photos!

Since “That Guy” asked about lume, I snapped a quick photo as I walked inside the office this morning.
Watch Analog watch Product Azure Clock

Sorry for the blurry image - I was juggling a computer bag, coffee, and cell phone.

While not crazy bright, it certainly passes the “walk into a dim room” test.

#58 ·
View attachment 16496374
View attachment 16496375

I knew ya’ll would miss me if I didn’t post a crappy cell phone pic today.

Here is an example of Ryeguy being uncharacteristically sophisticated.
Still looking good. Even when sophisticated [emoji145][emoji4]

Seems you’ve settled in with the Erikas, what other strap did you get with it? Considering a strap change or running with the Erika’s for the long haul?

No doubt the Stingray will be the proverbial strap monster.

#66 ·
Interesting you feel it wears somewhat thick for its diameter.

I had not made this observation, but then again, I tend to wear dive watches which are thick simply by their nature. As I swap between this and my MM300, for example, the Stingray II feels slim by comparison.

My yardstick for the "overly thick for the diameter" perception is my old Hamilton Khaki Chrono. It is only 38mm in diameter, yet runs the Val 7750 movement which is pretty thick.

It is a pretty thick watch.
Watch Collar Goggles Material property Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Rectangle

I still really like the fat little guy!

#67 ·
In case anyone is curious I have posted a review of the Stingray II over in the dive forum

Cheers

Watch Analog watch Product Silver Clock

#70 ·
FWIW, I sent an inquiry to Bill Yao/Jim at MKII watches regarding the possibility of a Stingray II No Date offering. Jim's reply (edited to fix typos): "I believe there will be a ND version, but as to when I’m unsure. I do apologize for not having a set date..."

So there ya' go, fellow MKII fans! Although a bit vague, it appears that Bill is at least considering a No Date variant for the Stingray II - I call that exciting! (y) (y)

#71 ·
FWIW, I sent an inquiry to Bill Yao/Jim at MKII watches regarding the possibility of a Stingray II No Date offering. Jim's reply (edited to fix typos): "I believe there will be a ND version, but as to when I’m unsure. I do apologize for not having a set date..."

So there ya' go, fellow MKII fans! Although a bit vague, it appears that Bill is at least considering a No Date variant for the Stingray II - I call that exciting! (y) (y)
Very cool[emoji106][emoji2]

Here’s the simple mock-ups from the other thread.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.