WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1121 - 1140 of 1224 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
They continue to receive orders during the said period (you know it's e-commerce, right?). It's just the dispatches that will be delayed until they are back to office
Yes, they receive orders but don't process them for weeks after. I ordered one about this time last year. At the same time last year I ordered a Melbourne (from Australia) and had it in my hand 5 days later complete with emails from their customer service people ensuring the watch arrived on time. Steinhart, you get crickets....there were a lot of threads on the Steinhart forum last year with people asking "WTF? Did my order go through?"

However, despite that, my Steinhart is still my favorite watch. Their watches truly are fantastic.

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
I think it's a testament to their quality product. People are actually willing to wait 2-3 weeks to get one. However, while these guys are doing whatever for two weeks off, literally every competitor is filling orders and making money. Still seems like a really bad business model.
Maybe they like to have a break and enjoy Christmas with their families! Gunter also needs time to raid the Rolex catalogue for next year's watches ;-)

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Yes, they receive orders but don't process them for weeks after. I ordered one about this time last year. At the same time last year I ordered a Melbourne (from Australia) and had it in my hand 5 days later complete with emails from their customer service people ensuring the watch arrived on time. Steinhart, you get crickets....there were a lot of threads on the Steinhart forum last year with people asking "WTF? Did my order go through?"

However, despite that, my Steinhart is still my favorite watch. Their watches truly are fantastic.
No offense when I say this (.....honestly) but is this symptomatic of modern society and a lack of patience?

·
Registered
16,287 Posts
Happy New Year watch lovers!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,747 Posts
OK, here's the back story.

The host has frequent parties for his kids. The neighbor has a kids who is playmates with the hosts' kids, so he also attends all the parties. I'm related through marriage, so I attend all the parties with my wife. While attending an earlier party, I start talking watches with the host, who is a proud owner of a Breitling Navtimer. As we're talking, the host interrupts and introduces his neighbor. While the host starts to tell me the watches the neighbor owns, the neighbor interrupts and tell me he owns an Oris. He was not wearing a watch at the time. The neighbor and I went on to have several conversations over a variety of topics.
Hmm, since you talked about watches among other things, I wouldn't say he showed his watch "out of the blue." I think he was simply following up on a common topic of interest, nothing more nefarious than that...

That said, it also sounds like he didn't have a sense of humor regarding his watch; you might have well just called his kids stupid and ugly!

DirkW;44888319I said:
'm obviously not opposed to owning nice things, but I own them for my own pleasure, and for the pleasure of my loved ones. So many people, including people I love, like to buy expensive stuff just to show off. Everyone in this particular neighborhood lives in newer 5,000+ sq' homes, drive expensive cars, and most I've met love to talk about what they own. Respect should come from who you are, not what you own.
While others like to talk about their fancy vacations, the elite schools their kids got into, the shows they attended at Fashion Week, etc. Where do you draw the line between bragging and making cocktail party small talk?

IMO, it's all harmless chatter.

·
Premium Member
19,747 Posts

Yeah, Steinhart could really prevent some avoidable customer angst by improving this part of the operation. There's nothing worse than being left hanging...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe they like to have a break and enjoy Christmas with their families! Gunter also needs time to raid the Rolex catalogue for next year's watches ;-)
The whole place takes a 2 week vacation at the same time? i cant think of another business that does that.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
No offense when I say this (.....honestly) but is this symptomatic of modern society and a lack of patience?
It's just how modern business operates. I got my Melbourne delivered from Australia to Florida in 5 days after ordering during the Christmas holidays. It's not a lack of patience, it a matter of what competitors are doing. Melbourne chose to keep the door open while Steinhart decided to close up shop for a couple of week. It's a business decision.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Dog = beef homage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of major BS in this thread, but wading through 25 or so pages was made worth it in one post. I laughed out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,287 Posts
I feel offended when I see this pic, the watch in the center should be a Steinhart.
But it's not a Sub so I don't put it with these ;-) . . .

·
Premium Member
19,747 Posts
The whole place takes a 2 week vacation at the same time? i cant think of another business that does that.
I know of two: a national defense laboratory in New Mexico and a money management firm in Connecticut.

And I'm sure many in the latter category are staffed by the most junior personnel during the last weeks of the year and told, "Don't touch anything; just call us if something happens."

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I know of two: a national defense laboratory in New Mexico and a money management firm in Connecticut.

And I'm sure many in the latter category are staffed by the most junior personnel during the last weeks of the year and told, "Don't touch anything; just call us if something happens."
Never heard of a company that sells stuff that completely shuts down for two weeks.

1121 - 1140 of 1224 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.