WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is a grail? Each WIS has probably his own deifnition, and of course his own concept what one would be. Someone wants the most beautiful watch, another wants the most prestigious, most expensive, most limited, the one with most complications, the one has the most water resistence, etc. I think it is a highly subjective matter but I believe that there is one thing in common with all and this is a superlative horologial characteristic. In other words, each one has the highest degree of something. In my case my own definition is the best watch I can get. Meaning that it is something I consider the greatest but also that I can at the end have or own.

Like many other forum members and readers, I don't have unlimited funds and not even plentiful. This however does not stop me from enjoying my horological thirst for the search of the best watch. In looking through the forum posts, one can see many wonderful watches. Some costing a few hundred dollars, some many thousand. I could sit there and dream over a Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller or a Omega Planet Ocean which are amazingly beautiful watches, but I know in the end that I will not be able to get one of them any time soon. I have always been intrigued by the beaty of the Seiko Marine Master, but that too is out of my league. I wanted to check out the Sumo as I read so much of it, but that too was a tad too expensive for me and I did not like some of the things with it that kind of put me off spending much on a watch that is not perfect...

However one day a breakthrough occurred. In looking through the forums I found someone who had a Sumo case. I asked about it and the other WIS was kind enough to agree to sell it to me, after a couple of weeks I was able to get it in my hands. Next I needed the guts, and as I needed cash, I sold my two almost new Seiko Monsters. I was not wearing them anyway as I considered them too small. With the return from these I ordered a 6r15 Seiko movement. I could not find any Sumo dial anywhere so I went for the very next best thing. I already had the hands I wanted to use so I went ahead and sourced some other parts, like movement spacer, fat spring bars, and Nato strap.

As anyone knows the waiting is the most painful thing for a WIS... LOL

It took me almost two months to get all the parts together and as soon as I got in the last part I was more then ready and went to work immediately. The dial had the feet in a different position so I had to remove them. To install a dial on a movement without reference is somewhat laborious as one has to center the indices so that they match the chapter ring marks on the case once you insert the movement in the case. This is a royal pain in the rear... However after one and half hours or cursing I finally was able to be satisfied with the installation. This required only one last tweek afterwards including cleaning the omnipresent speck of dust that found its way to the innner surface of the glass right in the middle of the face...

The result however is stunning, at least to me. The combination of the shiny parts of the dial with the brushed parts of the hands is absolutely magnificent. I have never seen something like this in person. The work done by the Seiko people who produced these parts is incredible. Of course my photos are not even close to do justice to the looks of these. But what is most surprising to me is the overall look of the watch. I always loved the Seiko Marine Master and I have to say that these hands and dial on the Sumo case are stunning, impressive and not out of place, at least in my opinion. This custom job is now my grail, so at the end I was able to get it, after all.

After sourcing the different parts from other WIS in the USA, Europe and Hong Kong, I still miss the bracelet. I tried the Nato and in fact two of them, but the head appear too massive for such a thin strap. I ended up using my trusty leather band for the moment while I am looking for a bracelet. I might have found one from a WIS in Italy of all places.

So this is a real Seiko made only of original Seiko Parts and assembled in the USA. The watch is very comfortable and nicely and proportinally made. I would have preferred 22 mm lugs as I think such heft could use a larger bracelet, it would make it more comfortable I think. The construction is great and the finish of the case is impressive.

The lume is really something, it is the best I have ever experienced on any watch, a little brighter even then the Seiko Monster. Lasts all night and the visibility of the hands and dial in any condition is superb. The glass is hardlex per what I know, it does not bother me but for such a watch it would be nice if Seiko offered an optional sapphire.

I love this watch. It is a limited edition 1 of 1, I have not seen another around like this anywhere yet and the best part of it is that my efforts became the labor of love, and this is really my watch as I have built it.

Please enjoy the photos, and sorry for the occasioanal specks of dust etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's a great looking watch you put together.

The fact it comprises all the parts you like into one piece does set it apart and it being unique is always a big bonus as I would hate seeing the same watch on someone else wrist.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That looks great! The fact that you assembled it yourself makes it more special. Congratulations on your Grail!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
A Grail indeed. Something much more special than buying a factory made watch.
This truely is YOUR grail watch!!
Very well done!! Congrats!!!!:-!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Congratulations!!! On a truly awesome looking watch!!!:-! Through the labor of love , you have created the ultimate MASTERPIECE !!!:p

Congrats again on a build of your dreams!!

Regards,

PH

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Great job! Awesome that you built it yourself - that experience alone is a great accomplishment.

Regarding the bracelet - you might want to look at the Anvil bracelet as an option (check the Seiko Citizen forum for a review). It is a bit heavier than the factory bracelet and it can be ordered with 20mm end links that flair out beyond the lugs to 22mm before tapering to the clasp. I think this bracelet option is one of the nicest I have seen with the Sumo.

Again, a well deserved congratulations!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Great work. Well done

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very well put together, congrats!! Nicer than the original Sumo imho :-!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi, I'm not much of a Seiko fan, but that looks GREAT! I also have to give you props for being so resourceful, and for having the followthrough to get her done. Much respect my friend, much respect.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot everyone for the nice words as these make me even happier. I have been wearing it so that I can adjust the timing, it was not bad right off, but I want to make it really good. :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the bracelet too, I would not mind the Anvil, but it is a bit expensive at the moment, as I am a little broke right now... but I don't mind it as I have at least the watch. ;-)

Yes, this is my masterpiece. I don't doubt others may have done some better creations, but not me, this is my best right now and I am happy with it.

And I am very happy to share with you, that way you can also see others viewpoints, ideas, etc. :-!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Excellent post. But more importantly AWESOME watch. I enjoyed your story of the watch. Keep looking at the sales forum. You will eventually find the factory bracelet for a good price. The aftermarket one looks good too. There is something about putting together a watch from parts to make a unique one of a kind watch.

My bro never was into watches but he liked a couple I had. I found a 007 case and bought a military style Seiko with the 7s26 for cheap used. I put on a dial I already had and a set of hands that looked good with it. I gave it to him on a Nato. He liked it but did not like the nato too much. So I gave him one of my rubber straps that he liked better. I found a used oyster bracelet with solid endlinks here on the sales corner and bought it. I put the bracelet on his watch and he loves it. I have less than $200 in the watch and it looks great. I am glad I could share my passion for watches with him. He says he gets comments all the time from a lot of people about it.

Putting it together from parts Im sure it means a lot more to you. I would like to get my hands on a Sumo some day. I have a MM300 and love it. The hands are my favorite on any watch I have ever seen. I love the way the angled edges of the hands reflect light or colors sometimes.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Love the MM dial with that case. The Marine Master is also my grail, and I will likely not spend that much on a watch.

On a side note, I have seen folks replace there Sumo bracelets here with a Watchadoo, and it looked pretty good.

Harold also makes an anvil with Sumo end links:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/1702...for+Sumo-6105-6309-SKX007-Sawtooth-Monster---

I think this is an upgrade to the original bracelet.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts