WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
today I want to tell you the first part of the story of my MO. I hope, you will enjoy it.

First time I intended to buy a MO was about two years ago. But then the FO LE came out and I had to get this beauty first.
In the meantime there were other priorities and so I did not think much about the MO.
But some weeks ago the MO came back to my mind.
Although the movement of the MO is really nice, from the very beginning I wanted a little bit more.
But what can you change about the movement, that fits the character of this watch?
After some thoughts about engraving and so on, I decided to go for a "Dreiviertelplatine".
After this decision was made, I began to think about the shape.
My first drawings with more or less parabolic shape were all somehow not consistent.
Then the idea came up to use just circles. The basic shape of the movement itself and its radius.
So I made another drawing and the result was what I was looking for. A shape that is as clear as the whole watch.

Some screwed chatons will be added and in the end, the movement will get back its Geneva stripes.

After some research on the internet I found a little company in Pforzheim, that can do the modification of the movement.
There were many mails between Mr. Belz and Mr. Uphoff of "Premium Watches Pforzheim" and me about the details.
Of cause there were many mails with Jörg, because there were some things to clarify with Stowa too.
Fortunately he will support the project as far as he can.
At the beginning of this week I finally ordered the MO.
Now I have to wait for delivery.
I will keep you informed about the next steps and will post some more pictures as soon as I have some.

Kind regards
Thomas

ps: As I'm not used to write in English, this text is a little bit shorter than the original German version. You can find it here: http://www.watchlounge.com/wbb3/wl/watch-lounge/budget-freundlich/51492-fortsetzungsgeschichte-meiner-etwas-anderen-stowa-marine-original/?852a7988

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished movement housed in the MO....:-!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Yes, please do keep us informed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello,
here comes the first update, but only a virtual one ;-)
I added a Screw Balance and a Swan Neck to the drawing of the movement.
So it is easier to imagine how the movement will look like.

Kind regards
Thomas

@picanhapilot:
I am sorry for the delay of your watch. But I am sure, you will be very happy with it in the end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure we will all be very happy if it becomes the next LE that we can all order!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi gsuser,
I thought about a 99.0.
But there a some reasons for me to chose the MO:
- I already have a FO LE and a Prodiver. So why change the brand?
- Maybe in the future I will have the chance to get the original pocket watch from WWII.
- The 99.0 is a very nice watch, but the movement looks to me a little bit to old-fashioned.
- If you just buy a watch, even at Dornblüth, it is not as much your baby, as if you start a project like this.

Kind regards
Thomas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello hzmbot,
"Why change a brand ?" Just because even if you like Stowa, (like me) it would be sad to limit your watches collection to one brand...
The movement of the MO is an Unitas 6498 made, I think, by Soprod. Dornblüth modifications of the 6498 are more radical and interesting for my taste. Anyway, it is a very nice project you try to follow. Can you tell us how much you expect to pay for the modifications ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you tell us how much you expect to pay for the modifications?
At this time I don't know the exact price in the end, because there may be some ltle aditional modifications. But it will be more than the price of the watch with croco strap for sure.

Kind regards
Thomas

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello everybody.
After some time of waiting, here comes the first real picture of the "Dreiviertelplatine"

The Chatons are still missing and of cause this is not the movement of the MO, but the the project is on a good way :-!

Kind regards
Thomas

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everybody,
here comes the next update.
In the meantime the STOWA logo has been engraved.
I was a little bit surprised about the whole "Dreiviertelplatine" being golden all over. But this was necessary because of the golden logo, like on the original movement.
And now, here are the pictures:

Kind regards
Thomas

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
my English is not to good and so I may get you wrong.
As I discribed above, the movement is the original MO movement..
The Dreiviertelplatine is made by Premium Watches Pfortzheim.

Kind regards
Thomas

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That looks beautiful! I like the gold color and the perlage finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing the final piece.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello everybody,
the watch is now nearly finished.
Here is the last picture of the movement:

What is still missing, is the modified engraving on the bottom and the strap.

Kind regards
Thomas

1 - 20 of 33 Posts