WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys - happy 1st post to me, long time lurker.

Just wanted to get some advice on my next investment (1st Stowa!). I've wanted one since my mate gifted himself a Flieger Klassik for his 30th - the build and finish is exceptional. I'm a huge fan of the Marine Original design.

I have three purchase options and am having difficulty weighing up the best choice. All full sets.

1. 2018 Stowa Marine Original 41mm (3 month left on warranty). Prefer the movement in this. 9.5/10 condition.
2. 2002 Stowa Marine 6425 40mm (Serviced with Stowa in 2019, 10 month warranty left. Approx €50 more than the MO. Prefer the dial proportions. 9/10 Limited to 100 pieces.
3. 2020 Stowa Marine Classic Hand Wound 36mm. Approx €150 more than the MO. 10/10 brand new, 3 week lead time.

My wrist is 7", not flat, just average, leaning towards the 40mm case with older dial logo but interested to hear any advice.

I've scoured cached websites/forum posts but info on the 6425 first run is pretty scarce. Any pictures, side by side, wrist shots etc all very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
996 Posts
My personal preference, 3 1 2.

Disregarding price, size and comfort, considering just aesthetics, 3 over 1 because the subdial placement on the 36mm is, to me, much more harmonious with the rest of the dial. And 1 over 2 because I really don't like the shape of the minute hand on the 40mm Marines (even the current ones have this different minute hand, not sure why).

·
Registered
29,181 Posts
2018 Stowa Marine Original 41mm

This gets my vote as well. Very versatile watch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the 36mm small seconds and I love the size. My wrist is a little smaller than yours at 6.75 but it’s very square so it looks a little smaller. I prefer smaller watches just so you know my bias.

This watch is very thin but the white dial and thin bezel help the size look slightly larger. I think the balance on the dial is perfect. It’s important to me that white dials are arranged well because too much empty space on a white dial is unforgiving to my eyes. Sounds like you are looking more towards the larger models but wanted to chime in on your #3. I’m a big fan of the old logo fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
I remember the Marine 6425,and indeed was offered one- which I wish I had taken up. It would be my choice, especially as it is slightly smaller at 40mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys - got some bad news with my car today, needing a turbo repair so maybe that's the universe telling me I have enough watches! The search may wait. Ebay & chrono24 alerts set up and I'm hoping Stowa do another good used checked promo soon.

As much as I love the old logo, the case size of the 36 is growing on me.

Most of my watches are divers with 41-44mm cases and large bezels, leaving a 32mm odd crystal/dial. I'm afraid the all dial 40mm/41mm may look like a satellite dish on my arm.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Option 1 may be best suited for you OP. I own a Flieger A classic 40. It visually looks slightly larger on my wrist, but I can get away with it. I would wish to jump on a 36mm MO should a bronze variant come along. Then again, j might try a Chinese-made bronze Flieger B.

Check the condition and state. Buy the seller. Godspeed bro.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have the 36mm small seconds and I love the size. My wrist is a little smaller than yours at 6.75 but it’s very square so it looks a little smaller. I prefer smaller watches just so you know my bias.

This watch is very thin but the white dial and thin bezel help the size look slightly larger. I think the balance on the dial is perfect. It’s important to me that white dials are arranged well because too much empty space on a white dial is unforgiving to my eyes. Sounds like you are looking more towards the larger models but wanted to chime in on your #3. I’m a big fan of the old logo fwiw.

What strap do you have there?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys - got some bad news with my car today, needing a turbo repair so maybe that's the universe telling me I have enough watches! The search may wait. Ebay & chrono24 alerts set up and I'm hoping Stowa do another good used checked promo soon.

As much as I love the old logo, the case size of the 36 is growing on me.

Most of my watches are divers with 41-44mm cases and large bezels, leaving a 32mm odd crystal/dial. I'm afraid the all dial 40mm/41mm may look like a satellite dish on my arm.
If it’s helpful to you, I can post size comparisons with more watches on Saturday (I am moving over the next few days so everything but an old Orient Ray is packed away).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it’s helpful to you, I can post size comparisons with more watches on Saturday (I am moving over the next few days so everything but an old Orient Ray is packed away).

That would be hugely helpful Mike I really appreciate it. Best of luck with the move/new home.

Got out of the car issue with just a new intercooler hose so might have it sooner than I thought (Still a fair chunk of couch change at €325 for OEM Mercedes parts plus labour, extortionate for what it is)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Will do, I’ll set a reminder for myself. It will be nice to have a break from unpacking.

Them Germans, man. Incredible engineering but I think German engineers hate mechanics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll choose classic logo over anything.
2002 Marine 6425 will be my choice.

here is MO silver dial on my 7" skinny wrist.
That's a beauty - really love the Roman/old logo, didn't realise they use a different serif style font on the subdial of the Roman!

·
Registered
533 Posts
That would be hugely helpful Mike I really appreciate it. Best of luck with the move/new home.
Hey, David. I totally missed that little photo shoot I was going to do. Sorry about that. Moving wound up being more than I bargained for (Doing it with road rash and bruised ribs was an adventure).

Here are some photos with the 38mm Seiko SKX013 (the case is 38, the dive bezel diameter is closer to 36mm) and the 41.5mm Orient Ray. The thin bezel and white dial give it a pretty good presence for 36mm x 44.6mm lug-to-lug, even at its modest thickness of 8.5mm. This was my first white dial watch and it really pops from a distance or when you catch yourself in the mirror.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would recommend Option #1 as it is 41mm, especially Unitas 6498 is exceptional in terms of accuracy and decoration. And I have one, please see attached - 41mm on my 7 inch wrist. Older logo is quite classy.
Hope this helps. Thanks.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
When did the logo on the dial change? Mine is a 2010 and there is no logo before the 'S'

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
The logo was officially announced on May 28, 2013.

I too was trying to obtain one with the old logo as it looks very classy with bigger S followed by the rest without the logo icon. Also, the logo was printed using the same colour as the rest of the fonts on the dial. However, when I was interested in this watch there was only one available with the new logo and I took the plunge.
Actually I am quite happy and the transition kinda makes sense. The text colour used is milder, which takes off the focus on the logo and focuses on the time first, which I seem to like a lot.

I haven't seem the one with old logo in person and I have just got used the new logo now. Hope this clarifies. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. Very helpful. I was just wondering. I think I would nearly always subscribe to the 'less is more' preference on a logo but I don't mind the new one either tbh. I bought my watch new so I am just used to mine after 10 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks. Very helpful. I was just wondering. I think I would nearly always subscribe to the 'less is more' preference on a logo but I don't mind the new one either tbh. I bought my watch new so I am just used to mine after 10 years.
Yeah true. Some of the models such as Partitio still have the old logo and they look just perfect. Again I too was in favour of Old Logo but eventually got used to New one.
I think Stowa might release some with old logo as well. Always Old is New and New gets Old. ;-)
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts