WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first post here, and I'm looking for help to date a vintage ladies watch.

I got this watch off ebay, and the seller mentioned that it belonged to her late grandmother who used to drive a VW for many years.

I am aware that VW used to award watches to drivers who made 100,000km in their volkswagens, and I've seen men's watches by Elgin with a similar logo on the caseback. However, it was rebranded 'Wolfsburg' on the dial.

Is anyone able to help me date this watch? It is hand wound, and the dial reads Stowa 15 Rubis. Any information or history on this watch or the relationship between Stowa and VW would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Holy cow, that is sweet!

I'm not much help though.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hi all,

My first post here, and I'm looking for help to date a vintage ladies watch.

I got this watch off ebay, and the seller mentioned that it belonged to her late grandmother who used to drive a VW for many years.

I am aware that VW used to award watches to drivers who made 100,000km in their volkswagens, and I've seen men's watches by Elgin with a similar logo on the caseback. However, it was rebranded 'Wolfsburg' on the dial.

Is anyone able to help me date this watch? It is hand wound, and the dial reads Stowa 15 Rubis. Any information or history on this watch or the relationship between Stowa and VW would be much appreciated!

Hi veedub,

your new ladies watch is the German version - the ELGIN watches you have seen were given away only by Volkswagen of USA.
VW's German men's watches were made by Junghans and Stowa.

VW rewarded drivers till middle of sixth decade of last century with a watch.
I own a ladies watch, similar to yours, that was received in 1955 by the first owner.
As far as I know there wasn't a special relation between VW and Stowa (or Junghans); they only provided the watches ordered by VW.
In those days Stowa produced watches for Daimler Benz / Mercedes and Hanomag too.

Tomorrow I will shoot some pics and show them here.

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Tomorrow I will shoot some pics and show them here.
...now is tomorrow b-)

Besides that VW watch, I found some watches given away by HANOMAG-HENSCHEL, a former German factory for trucks and construction machines.
Many of their smaller trucks were used by milkmen, bakers, butchers and other small businesses.
The four pieces shown here were awarded to drivers with more than 100 000 km or even 200 000 km.
HANOMAG-HENSCHEL (H-H) were known of their reliable engines and so they had to spend a lot of watches.......:-!

Here they come:
Two handwound H-H watches (right) and two H-H automatic watches w.date (left) framing the little VW ladies watch (handwound too):

Now the watches, in same order as in the first pic, turned around:

This means: " 100 000 km / honor by HANOMAG "

If there are some other pics of this niche, come on and show them,

Volker ;-)

PS: I don't know, if you realized: All watches happen to be STOWA's.......:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...now is tomorrow b-)

Besides that VW watch, I found some watches given away by HANOMAG-HENSCHEL, a former German factory for trucks and construction machines.
Many of their smaller trucks were used by milkmen, bakers, butchers and other small businesses.
The four pieces shown here were awarded to drivers with more than 100 000 km or even 200 000 km.
HANOMAG-HENSCHEL (H-H) were known of their reliable engines and so they had to spend a lot of watches.......:-!

Here they come:
Two handwound H-H watches (right) and two H-H automatic watches w.date (left) framing the little VW ladies watch (handwound too):

Volker ;-)

Hey THAT is a wealth of information! :-!

Spotted the 200 000km watch and that is really impressive on an industrial machine! Or even 100 000km for that matter.. :-d

Many thanks for the replies.. Funny they should give away watches for driving your cars well, and these watches have lasted as long as those cars.. gotta give it to German engineering..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope if you restore this watch you post again so we can see it cleaned up
Hey Cycloneracing,

I could probably manage the case and crystal.. but the dial does not look like it's in good nick. Movement doesn't need any care for the time being as it's running strong and accurately. I wonder if the watch has ever been open?!

BTW, would this be a 50's or 60's model?

Appreciate all the comments so far! :-!

·
Registered
4 Posts
...now is tomorrow b-)

Here they come:

Now the watches, in same order as in the first pic, turned around:

This means: " 100 000 km / honor by HANOMAG "

Volker ;-)

Not surprised but the pictures of the Stowas from ten years ago don’t seem to load for me. Any chance you could repost those watches, I’d love to see especially a Daimler Benz one. What a great way to commemorate a long lasting automobile and build customer loyalty/appreciation

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm sorry
for not showing a watch given by Mercedes Benz as a bonus - such a watch isn't part of my collection.
Today I shot all those watches (from my collection) given to drivers for having appropiately treated their car / truck and accomplished a 100.000 km mileage with the first original engine.
Here is one of them:

DSCF7424.JPG

DSCF7433.JPG

The other pics can be found here:
Ihr persönlicher Freigabelink | WEB.DE Online-Speicher
Only from STOWA, five different dials can be seen in the album.
The watch from HANOMAG for 200 000 km is already sold, sorry.
Have fun,

Volker

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Love the old logo :love:

My apologies to Herr Schauer but, the old logo is as iconic as the cursive script Coca-Cola logo or the circular VW logo.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
That is very cool - wished they still did that .... I have taken several cars -and motorcycles- over 100,000 km. Two of my cars well over 200,00 km. Guess today that isn't as much of a feat anymore. If properly maintained, (modern) engines do last a long time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts