WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After 8 weeks to the day, my Antea 365 arrived today. I was lucky that we had a bit of a blizzard here on the east coast of the USA today or I would not have been home to sign for the Fedex delivery. I normally would have been at work and would have had to go to Fedex to sign for it.

What a beautiful watch! The photos on the internet just don't capture some of the delicacy of the face, and some of the subtle detailing of the case and movement. The movement when viewed through the display back is very nicely finished as well (lots-o-perlage, blued screws etc.). I have attached some poor photos that do not do it justice.

As many of you know, the quality that I see in these watches is easily on a par with watches retailing for 3-4x times its cost (the benefits of buying direct!). I still cannot believe that the watch is only 36.5 mm in diameter. It wears much larger due to its narrow bezel. The face is as large as my 40 mm Sinn and almost as large as my 43.8 mm Ball. I am very happy that I went for the 365 vs. the 390. It really looks perfect on my 7=1/8" (18 cm) wrist.

Stowa, much to my surprise was also kind enough to provide an extra strap! The communication was excellent throughout the transaction; from initial order through delivery (Kudos to Viveca Hafner).

My highest compliments to Jorge and his watch making team!

J

Bob

Reactions: ctyree0

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi,

After 8 weeks to the day, my Antea 365 arrived today. I was lucky that we had a bit of a blizzard here on the east coast of the USA today or I would not have been home to sign for the Fedex delivery. I normally would have been at work and would have had to go to Fedex to sign for it.

What a beautiful watch! The photos on the internet just don't capture some of the delicacy of the face, and some of the subtle detailing of the case and movement. The movement when viewed through the display back is very nicely finished as well (lots-o-perlage, blued screws etc.). I have attached some poor photos that do not do it justice.

As many of you know, the quality that I see in these watches is easily on a par with watches retailing for 3-4x times its cost (the benefits of buying direct!). I still cannot believe that the watch is only 36.5 mm in diameter. It wears much larger due to its narrow bezel. The face is as large as my 40 mm Sinn and almost as large as my 43.8 mm Ball. I am very happy that I went for the 365 vs. the 390. It really looks perfect on my 7=1/8" (18 cm) wrist.

Stowa, much to my surprise was also kind enough to provide an extra strap! The communication was excellent throughout the transaction; from initial order through delivery (Kudos to Viveca Hafner).

My highest compliments to Jorge and his watch making team!

J

Bob
That's a fine timepiece you have there. Wear it in good health!

Glen

·
Registered
78 Posts
7 1/8" wrist? Thats my wrist size. Would you mind posting a wrist shot or several if you dont mind? I ordered a 390 due in beginning of May.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Like yourself, I was originally going to order the 390 but decided on the 365. Take a look at these two photos (just took them for ya). The first photo is the 365 and the second is of my 40.0 mm Sinn as a size reference (closest I have to a 39 mm watch). Personally, the watch appears much larger due to the white face and narrow bezel.

Hope this helps...

:)

Bob

Stowa Antea 365 COSC (36.5 mm)

Sinn 756 UTC Diapal (40.0 mm)

7 1/8" wrist? Thats my wrist size. Would you mind posting a wrist shot or several if you dont mind? I ordered a 390 due in beginning of May.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The thin case and the relative appearance of a longer lug-to-lug height dimension adds a great presense to that watch. Great stylings. Thanks for posting. Enjoy!

Glen

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still can't understand this huge watch hysteria, not so long ago average case size for man's wristwatch was 34-36 mm. I find size of Antea 365 i very good as a dress watch. :-!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Congrats on a very nice looking watch. Just curious, how many days did you wait from stowa asking for final payment until shipping notification?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the chronology:
  • I ordered and paid fin full or my watch via PayPal on Jan 2, 2009 (Stowa was closed for the Holidays until Jan 7th)
  • I was notified that my watch was ready to ship within a few days on Feb 17, 2008
  • Stowa shipped the watch via Fedex on Feb 27, 2009
  • The watch arrived on Mar 2, 2009
So in my case it was the full wait period of 2 months. I do believe that some customers pay at the notification of readiness. That was a 10 day que. But keep in mind Stowa was in the middle of a factory move during this time period which may have delayed things.

Congrats on a very nice looking watch. Just curious, how many days did you wait from stowa asking for final payment until shipping notification?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Congrats! The rotor finishing is fantastic! :-!

Now you got me worried as I have an Antea 39mm arriving in a week or so. I only have 6.75" wrists. :-s

·
Registered
612 Posts
Now you got me worried as I have an Antea 39mm arriving in a week or so. I only have 6.75" wrists. :-s
With a 6.75" wrist I would go with the 365 over the 390. Here is the Antea KS ('only' 35.5mm) on my 6.25" wrist:

Given that this style tends to wear larger than they actually are, combined with the fact that they are based on even smaller vintage models, 35mm-37mm is about perfect for all but the most massive wrists (IMO).

I wish Stowa still made some of the smaller sized Antea models that were limited editions in recent years. I would really like a black dialed Antea, but 39mm to just too darn massive for this style of watch and my small wrist. :(

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 365 has a beautiful proportion and as I stated wears much larger than the 36.5 mm case diameter indicates. The actual crystal diameter is 33.0 on the 365 mm. The 390 has a 35.8 mm diameter crystal which is 2.8 mm larger.

As a point of reference, my largest watch, my Ball Engineer Master II Dive Chronometer is 43.8 mm in diameter, but the crystal that is approximately 36 mm in diameter. Beefer sports watches have larger bezels adding 3 mm or so per side. I have also provide a photo of a watch of similar size that I own. A Citizen Exceed Perpetual Calandar Quartz watch. It is also 36.5 mm in diameter, has a dark grey dial (solar) and has a 32 mm crystal. I wears much smaller than the Stowa. My point is try to look beyond the numbers at other factors than impact human perception of size.

Additionally, a white face will appear larger than a black face due to increase light reflectance IMO. I chose the 365 because I wanted a more classically sized dress watch and I figured it would wear larger (which it did).

Bob

Does anyone have a 390 on a 6.75 to 7" wrist pic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to put a word in for the 390 - I have 6.5" wrist and the 390 fills the wrist nicely without overwhelming it. Will take a picture now the watch has settled - wrist shots taken on arrival are not representative of how the watch wears after a month or so once the strap has softened...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts