WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
From just looking at the pictures of both the automatic and handwinding versions of the movement, they take the ebauche, discard the rotor and possibly some other related self-winding apparatus, then install new parts and/or modify existing parts to make the movement 100% handwinding. They also decorate the movement extensively with engraving, perlage, etc. I imagine it's somewhat time consuming for their watchmakers to do this, hence the premium for the handwinding movement since it didn't come out of the box as such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m thinking of getting the handwound version, such a beautiful caseback. I know a regular Valjoux movement would be fairly easy to service where I live in Thailand, not sure about the modified handwound version though. Would I need to send it back to Stowa for a regular service, or could a decent watchmaker still service the watch?
Thanks for the photos and reviews!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Mike. I hoped that would be the answer. Once the international postal and transport system gets back to something like normal, I will be buying this handwound version.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if 300.-EURO didn't hurt the wallet that much.
HW movement just worth every euro.
and the most important thing, we can't turn back time and re-decided.

Absolutely beautiful , in my opinion 1938 chrono black dial is the most beautiful timepiece in all Stowa line up.
plus the HW movement you can enjoy the beauty on both sides.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Truly a classic and stunning piece! I have been a longtime Stowa fan and feel they punch way above their price point. I have the 36 Klassik Flieger and love it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello there. As a person drawn to watches that "make a statement", I love this watch. I'm going to show my naivete and ask about the functions. I see the large seconds hand, so I know that is sweeping each minute, but the other 2 sub-dials are stopped unless you trigger them with the extra stops on the case? Is that correct? And one dial sweeps 60 seconds, and the other sweeps full circle in 30 seconds?
Thank for your answers, and please keep the mocking to a minimum. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello, Nodyce! No mocking here; we were all new to watches at some point, and chronographs sometimes are a little unintuitive.

The large seconds hand actually does not move. It is part of the chronograph function (i.e., stopwatch function). It starts moving when you push the upper-right pusher at a rate of one full sweep around the dial per minute. It stops moving when you push the same upper-right pusher. The lower-right pusher resets this second hand back to zero. Make sure to stop the large seconds hand first before pushing this reset pusher!

The subdial at the 9-o'-clock position (i.e., left side of the dial) is called the running seconds subdial. This one continuously runs, sweeping the full circle every minute. The subdial at the 3-o'-clock position (i.e., right side of the dial) is also part of the chronograph function. It measures up to 30 minutes; so, it ticks over a mark every time the center seconds sweeps a full circle around the dial. This subdial also resets to zero when you push the reset pusher.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmm, not sure how my post got double-posted. Maybe my ad-blocker messes with the ancient software running this forum :-d

·
Registered
13 Posts
Montydrei, thank you for the excellent primer. I could not have been more wrong in my initial assumptions, but learned something new!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts