WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Exima has always been mine grail and I was lucky to find an ETA powered model about 10 years ago, after a couple of years of searching. Since then, it has always been the favourite watch in my collection. But I've always been on the look out for one of the limited editions - either the Omega 286 or PUW 560 versions; I've had searches set up on eBay and Chrono24 for 6 or 7 years. Patience finally paid off a couple of months ago when a PUW 560 model appeared on German eBay.

Bradjhomes has done a nice review of the standard Exima here (https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/stowa-exima-1184746.html) so I'll just focus on the differences between the two.

The main differences are:

Faceted markers instead of flat
Silver dial instead of cream
A flat caseback meaning a slighly slimmer case
No date
Limited to 100 pieces

Obviously the movement is different too. The watch comes with a small leaflet giving some information about the PUW 560 and watch in German. Roughly translated main points are:

Until the end of the 70s, Pforzheim was an important area for watch production.
The Pforzheimer Uhrenwerke (PUW) made movements, dials, hands and leather straps.
The PUW 560 was produced between 1970 and 1977 and not only was the last movement they made, but also the best to come out of Pforzheim.
Manufactum purchased 100 PUW 560s and gave them to Stowa to be rhodium-plated and hand polished.
The dial of the watch is 925 silver.

The leaflet continues state that the watch has been regulated to 0-20 seconds/day and offers the purchaser free regulation if it doesn't meet this standard. It finishes by wishing the owner lots of joy in owning a very special watch.

And now the photos:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

And some side-by-side shots:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The ETA:

Watch accessory Analog watch Watch Electronics Silver

The obligatory wristshots:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I knew about the ETA and the Omega but it's the first time I hear about the PUW version.
Congrats for the gorgeous watch and patience.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Congrats - a good find. I have the Omega version, and I had not heard of this variant at all. Certainly the Omega is sought after, and I wouldn't have minder one of these as well, if I had known about them!

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
Beautiful watch and a piece of meaningful history. I salute your patience sir. I like it much better than the date version. Thanks for the great photos and the write-up.

·
Premium Member
40,946 Posts
I must admit I didn't realise it was a silver dial rather than cream. Those indices and lack of date really elevate the dial for me.

I'm just gutted you outbid me in the auction!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Stunning both of them. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm just gutted you outbid me in the auction!
That was the same for me.......runner up is the one without the watch. :-(

There is a fourth version of the EXIMA, the 'Chronometer' model:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/dress-watch-178307-2.html
(Post # 12 by GuySie)

The dial is a dark grey, almost black. As far as I know, this model too was distributed by Manufactum exclusively.

Offers for the 'PUW 560' and the 'Chronometer' are welcome, the 'Standard' and the 'Omega 286' are here already. :-!

Volker ;-)

·
Premium Member
40,946 Posts
That was the same for me.......runner up is the one without the watch. :-(

There is a fourth version of the EXIMA, the 'Chronometer' model:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/dress-watch-178307-2.html
(Post # 12 by GuySie)

The dial is a dark grey, almost black. As far as I know, this model too was distributed by Manufactum exclusively.

Offers for the 'PUW 560' and the 'Chronometer' are welcome, the 'Standard' and the 'Omega 286' are here already. :-!

Volker ;-)
The hands against that black dial look stunning.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't realise there was a black-dialled version. The search continues!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So... I found a Chronometer at last. It's stunning it must be said, although with two Eximas in my box already, I can't justify keeping this one. Some photos before it goes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts