WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since I have both in at the moment, here are some shots comparing cases and dials for the Flieger 36 Classic:

The thicker ETA 2824 Auto is on the left. The watches share the same cases and crystals. The difference is the deeper caseback on the auto to accommodate the thicker movement. They wear essentially the same on the wrist. How tight you wear your strap will impact perceived thickness much more than case choice as the caseback sinks into the wrist either way. I have intentionally excluded wrist shots as I feel that small changes in perspective could warp the reality of these very similar cases.

The logo stands out much more in photos than in person. It is small and the color is closer to that of the dial than the indices. Being used to seeing the brand name on every other watch, the negative space on the top half of the dial is apparent on the sterile dial.

ETA 2824-2 Auto vs. Sellita SW215-1 (both are without a ghost date setting on these no-date versions). As the case height differences feel negligible to me, I would say to choose based on the movement you prefer and do not worry about thickness differences.

I just got in this sterile handwind in to replace my logo auto and I now find myself torn. Stowa is a worthy name to have on a dial and the ETA feels heavy and reassuring while the sterile dial/ manual strip this piece down to the romantic roots that got me interested in watches. I think the handaufzug will win out, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Shout out to the people considering a date, sorry I couldn't help!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Great comparison/pictures!

They actually make me feel like I should have bought one of those instead of my GS.

Reactions: Mike2 and soundfanz

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice comparison. I like the idea of a sterile dial, but the Stowa logo there works, too.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the sterile dial. Not having the brand emblazoned on the dial speaks towards both humility and "less is more" simplicity. You have actually made me want that watch now... great photo comparisons.
Thanks for the kind words. I agree and actually think their modest branding even when the logo is present speaks to the same sentiment. With all the modern sunburst dials and excessive lines of text on new watches, it is a breath of fresh air.

Great comparison/pictures!

They actually make me feel like I should have bought one of those instead of my GS.
Seems like this would be a nice compliment to a GS :) There are some decent deals to be had second-hand for these as well.

Great post! I’m expecting delivery of a 40mm no-logo manual tomorrow.
You have my envy. I adore the finishing and shape of the 36mm case but the 40 puts it to shame. It's approaching perfect imo. If my wrist were a little bigger I would have loved to get a 40. Hope to see some shots of it!

Nice comparison. I like the idea of a sterile dial, but the Stowa logo there works, too.
I agree. In seeing pictures, I was sure the sterile would win hands down. In person, the Logo seems to bring everything together a bit. I also recognize that I am just used to seeing the brand on every other watch and it will take a little time to acclimate to it. I am going to hold onto both for a bit but I anticipate keeping the sterile. I also think the simplicity of the sterile dial will be a nice compliment to my busier Sinn 256Ty Chronograph (my only other German watch - also a definite keeper).

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Fantastic photos, thank you for your thoughts.

Reactions: Mike2

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great images and comparison. I think I prefer the manual wind, but also the logo.
I think if I were to buy one new (these were both bought lightly used), I would buy that same spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
why not the bronze case for you? im torn between both ss and bronze and can't decide even after seeing photos from users that bought them...

could u also post a wrist shot? i have a 6inch wrist and can't decide between 36mm and 40mm lol

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
why not the bronze case for you? im torn between both ss and bronze and can't decide even after seeing photos from users that bought them...

could u also post a wrist shot? i have a 6inch wrist and can't decide between 36mm and 40mm lol
I think bronze is a really cool metal and I would love to see this watch in bronze but the material has never interested me enough to own, especially in my very small collection.

Really hard to get the focal length to represent reality for wrist shots, but here it is on my 6.75in wrist (very square so probably more what a 6.25-6.5 would look like from the top).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
These are fantastic photos. Thanks for the comparison. I have been debating going after the Timor Heritage Field, but this caught my eye and you’ve really give me something to think about. I’ve been valuing thinness recently and since both of these best the Timor, they would seem to take a nato better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for this great comparison and the photos. About the lugs scratch, I have the same situation in my own Flieger 36. I have the ETA handaufzug and, yes, comes with a date window (sorry). How does it go the Sellita SW215-1?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for this great comparison and the photos. About the lugs scratch, I have the same situation in my own Flieger 36. I have the ETA handaufzug and, yes, comes with a date window (sorry). How does it go the Sellita SW215-1?
Glad you liked the comparison! Honestly, I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have the date and logo on mine. I do miss the date at times (having it on most of my other watches). The handwound Sellita seems to be doing very well. It winds smooth, the crown feels good adjusting the time, and keep consistent time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts