WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received my Stowa Flieger Grey LE in 40mm. Here it is against a black dial Stowa Flieger. Hard to truly capture how the light bounces off the grey dial. Initial impression is that while the grey dial is more interesting, I think I like the black dial a little better, but not sure just yet as it needs some wrist time to tell. Black dial is hand winding, so a little thinner and also happens to be a different kind of LE.
IMG_20200806_133202.jpg
IMG_20200806_133241.jpg

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The movement decoration on the balck dial looks awesome! Both very fine watches, my next watch will likely be a Stowa Flieger of some sort.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think I agree about keeping the black dial. The gray dial looks fantastic, but maybe not on a flieger. It's a little too pretty for that toolish watch.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the grey LE in 36mm. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Never seen it in 40mm, but I can imagine it might work better in the smaller size.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a couple days of wearing both back to back, I’m coming around on the grey sunburst dial. While in indoor lighting, it looks okay, outdoors it looks amazing, even with overcast skies. The dial really comes alive in the natural light. I originally planned on just keeping the one I liked best, but looks like I’m keeping both, I guess this is how you end up with multiples of a similar watch..haha.

·
Premium Member
32,391 Posts
Both are very nice. I like the grey as it offers something different and a bit more contrast, IMHO.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
143 Posts
After a couple days of wearing both back to back, I’m coming around on the grey sunburst dial. While in indoor lighting, it looks okay, outdoors it looks amazing, even with overcast skies. The dial really comes alive in the natural light. I originally planned on just keeping the one I liked best, but looks like I’m keeping both, I guess this is how you end up with multiples of a similar watch..haha.
Sound logic!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The gray dial looks fantastic, but maybe not on a flieger. It's a little too pretty for that toolish watch.
I have it on the Prodiver...talk about a contrast between form and function, lol...I love it though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apparently there's also a limited edition with a blue dial, although I feel like that wouldn't look as good with the blued hands as the black or grey.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 36 grey dial. I have a thing for pretty tool watches, so I love it. The flat black of a traditional Flieger does nothing for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Always wanted to buy a Flieger. I own a 1938 Chronograph and an Antea, but both are up for maintenance now though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I vote black. I think for a flieger, the flat black just matches it so well. I enjoy sunburst on certain watches but not as much on fliegers. I think the subdued look of the soft black dial against the off-white lumed markers/indices is perfect (vs the more contrasting white/black on say a Sinn 556i). I also think that the restraint in the dial helps the blue pop off the hands in a satisfying way. I have the 36mm classic and although it’s new, it’s already my “favorite old pair of jeans” in my collection.

Also, I like the contrast created by the black on the manual movement. Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hand wound black for me, had been tempted by the bronze but may be swaying back towards steel

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apparently there's also a limited edition with a blue dial, although I feel like that wouldn't look as good with the blued hands as the black or grey.
I love my blue dial Stowa, though it's the classic model with a flat blue dial and silver hands, not the LE one you're referring to with the sun ray dial and blued hands. I had a black dial B type as well, but found myself always reaching for the blue dial every time I was in the mood for a flieger, so I recently sold the B type. Keeping my eyes out for a preowned Worn & Wound grey dial Verus to take its place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my blue dial Stowa, though it's the classic model with a flat blue dial and silver hands, not the LE one you're referring to with the sun ray dial and blued hands. I had a black dial B type as well, but found myself always reaching for the blue dial every time I was in the mood for a flieger, so I recently sold the B type. Keeping my eyes out for a preowned Worn & Wound grey dial Verus to take its place.
Wow, that's gorgeous. I think I actually like that one much more than the LE one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just received my Stowa Flieger Grey LE in 40mm. Here it is against a black dial Stowa Flieger. Hard to truly capture how the light bounces off the grey dial. Initial impression is that while the grey dial is more interesting, I think I like the black dial a little better, but not sure just yet as it needs some wrist time to tell. Black dial is hand winding, so a little thinner and also happens to be a different kind of LE.
View attachment 15384186 View attachment 15384191
Thank you for the comparison photos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts