WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Seiko SNK809, which I love. But I’m looking to upgrade at some point, and I’m considering the Stowa Flieger Klassik 36mm, handwinding.

I am more interested in the practical rather than the emotional/heritage aspects of a new watch, and the Seiko is my only means of comparison. I’ve read a lot about the Stowa, but I still have some questions. Here’s what I’m wondering:

• Scratch resistance: How scratch-resistant is the Stowa compared to the Seiko? (My Seiko has picked up quite a few scratches in a year of daily use.)
  • Lume: When people say the lume on the Stowas is amazing — what do they mean exactly? Is daylight enough to ‘charge’ the Stowa’s lume to make it clearly readable in the dark and last through the night?
  • Comfort: How does the Flieger feels on the wrist? Does its crown dig into the skin at all? (The Seiko’s is almost flush with the body).
Any thoughts much appreciated... especially from any of you with both watches!

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Scratch resistance: Non hardened stainless steel, polished or bead/sandblasted, pvd coated or not, plated or not, of different brands usually do not differ much regarding scratch resistance. Imho a Stowa will as much scratch as a Seiko.

Lume: Any luminous compound is made to be charged by daylight. Rhat‘s how it is supposed to work.

Comfort: I wouldn‘t know of any drawbacks of Stowa‘s crown on the small flieger.

·
Premium Member
32,556 Posts
You really can't compare the Stowa to your Seiko. Apples to oranges.

Stowa makes very nice watches, so it depends on personal preference. You can get them in a number of configurations as Mike noted above.

Scratch resistance can depend on how you treat/wear the watch, but it is just another part of owning it. Some hold up better than others.

Google "Watch Lume" or similar term to get better acquainted with the applications. Every brand does their own thing. Some better than others. Seiko's are known for their lume, but Stowa is no slouch either, again it depends on what your need is.

As for comfort, a Stowa is great to wear all day/night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the two watches and the differences are stunning.

The Flieger Klassik 36 case is no more scratch resistance than the SNK. I have changed the straps of the FK36 with a cheap tool and leave a scratch easely 😰, but no more than in the SNK (an scratch that only can be seen with a 12x lens, by the way).

The SNK have a flat mineral cristal (not so scratch proof), the Flieger have a domed sapphire (AR coated by the inside, so, very high resistance to scratch), wich is beautiful.

The lume is another thing. The SNK have the hands and a dots with lume (not Superluminova, but anoher made by Seiko I think), the FK36 have the numbres, the hands and the seconds lines with Superluminova C3 (the most bright of its kind), but just like the Seiko, needs some light to charge. But, there is no comparison.

The onion crown, yes, with a lazy strap, maybe it feels in the skin, but for me this is not a problem and it feels amazing to hand wound your watch.

The Flieger handwinding is more thin than the SNK (because the movement does not have a rotor like the automatic 7S26), so it feels more light than the SNK.

The dial is black matt, not bright like the SNK and maybe you see the 36 mm more bigger than the 37, because of the bigger width of the diameter of the dial in the Flieger.

And the tempered blue hands of the Flieger are amazing.

If you buy the Stowa, maybe you can share some pictures of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thank for you this detailed breakdown. This is exactly the comparison I was looking for, right down to the date/handwinding configuration. I know I am replying late, but this is really appreciated and especially the pics which I will save.

All the best to you -- if I do get it (I am still on the fence) I will share pics too. Stay safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BTW, the STOWA flieger 36 (which I own) is available now on their Christmas sale, in case you did not know this. Hand wound comes with date and logo or just with date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, thank for you this detailed breakdown. This is exactly the comparison I was looking for, right down to the date/handwinding configuration. I know I am replying late, but this is really appreciated and especially the pics which I will save.

All the best to you -- if I do get it (I am still on the fence) I will share pics too. Stay safe.
Thanks! I forgot to show you a comparison between movements, here they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, the STOWA flieger 36 (which I own) is available now on their Christmas sale, in case you did not know this. Hand wound comes with date and logo or just with date.
Just missed it - sold out in the handwinding/nologo configuration! Thank you for flagging it though, I had no idea they were discounted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts