WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm entering the Stowa owners club again, this time with a Flieger Klassik. My first was a 1938 Chrono in Black, which I foolishly flipped to fund an Omega Planet Ocean.

After looking through Jorg's site for the first time in a while (what's with those new 'Stowa' logos?) it seems as if a lot has changed in the four years since my last purchase. I've narrowed my selection down to the Flieger Klassik, but this new 36mm is intriguing. The 41mm Chrono fit my wrist well and I know the 40mm Flieger case is smaller, so it shouldn't be an issue, but maybe the 36mm is smaller in the "perfect fit" kind of way. I've tried on older Rolex 36mm models (Datejust and Explorer I) and those always felt really comfortable to wear. Different watches I know, but the size felt right. Anyway, my point is how different are these watches to wear? Is the 40mm big enough to be annoying on my wrist? Is the 36mm so small that it will feel lost and more like a dress watch?

For reference my daily watch is a Rolex Sub-ceramic, so I'm used to the 40mm size (technically larger in this case) and the heft. I would wear this Flieger as an alternate daily watch with suits and stuff. Thanks for any input from those who have bought these!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like the 40mm. There are so few companies that make proper 38-40mm watches these days. It's the sweet spot IMHO between wrist presence and comfort. The IWC mark XVIII comes to mind also.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like the 40mm. There are so few companies that make proper 38-40mm watches these days. It's the sweet spot IMHO between wrist presence and comfort...........

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Well said. I have a small wrist & a 36mm feels great BUT, I like to be AWARE of something special. Whereas a 41+ mm watch to me is a bit too overpowering for my wrist size.
B.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For the OP : Re. logo. I'm a new Stowa enthusiast so I have no attachment to the old style logo. The new style to me is pure class! It's not in your face ( ;-) ) like the other & the grey colour on the Fliegers is SO tasteful. It also contains a symbol as well as script which is a nice touch.
B.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not in your face ( ;-) ) like the other & the grey colour on the Fliegers is SO tasteful. It also contains a symbol as well as script which is a nice touch.
Yeah, you're right! Looking at it more and more I feel the same. I found an old picture of two Fliegers; one with the old logo and one with the new logo. The old one really stands out, whereas the new one is subtle. I like the grayed text on it and guess I can live with the logo :-d

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after wearing some of my smaller dress watches this weekend I realized that I have enough of those and would like something with more presence, so 40mm will be the choice for me!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, quick question about Stowa date windows. In some pictures they look like simple cut-outs and in other pictures they look like a two-step frame for the date. Which one is the current date window?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
So after wearing some of my smaller dress watches this weekend I realized that I have enough of those and would like something with more presence, so 40mm will be the choice for me!

I think the 40mm size is perfect for the Stowa fliegers.

I used to own a Stowa NYC LE 6498 powered 41mm A dial. I liked the watch but felt the case was a bit large. A friend bought it from me. I now have a 2801 powered 40mm B dial and it's perfect. The slimmer case with a slightly smaller diameter is perfect, IMO. Both watches for me were sterile dialed so no opinion on the logo. :-!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - still thinking about it. I really wanted a 40mm flieger with logo, but I just cannot get over the new logo design. It's not for me. Hoping for something on the forums and sales corners to pop up for me to buy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why not the no logo face? I think the flieger looks great without, some watches I'd feel are too naked but the flieger seems historically accurate. Maybe because it looks so much like an instrument?

It seems like most people prefer the old logo. Stowa bring it back as an option!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not the no logo face? I think the flieger looks great without, some watches I'd feel are too naked but the flieger seems historically accurate. Maybe because it looks so much like an instrument?
That's exactly it. The top bit of the dial looks naked to me without anything there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
36 is perfect. I have a 36mm Seamaster 300m and it’s the most comfortable watch I own. The small size gives it it’s own presence.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As someone who has worn a 44mm Sinn U2 for the last 11 years, I feel that a 36mm is a Ladies / Youth size.
I recently bought a Sinn 103 which @ 41mm I feared would be too small, but it is fine. I am currently considering buying a Stowa Klassik Sport, 43mm case. I tried on a IWC Pilot Heritage 40 mm and it felt way too small (but I was wearing my Sinn U1000 that day).

I guess it just depends on what you are used to.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
another consideration is that the 36mm is full lume, if that sways you at all.
regarding the 40mm, I ended up going with the logo option, because I also felt it needed something there. I don't know they intended it or not, but their choice of color for the logo is just brilliant because it almost fades into the dial--so you're almost getting the sterile dial anyway. a great balance imo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts