WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
36mm on this variant is precise. The 40mm with the 48 L2L looks too big to me. Lugs at the edge of my wrist is a big no no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 36mm just arrived and I'm impressed with the quality of the watch. The nicest one I had before now was a SARB035. However, I wouldn't say I'm struggling with the size but I'm wanting to reassure myself it's the right size for me. This will be my one watch that I hope to wear daily for years to come so I want it to be right. My wrist size is just under 7" and it appears that 48,6mm lug to lug on a Klassik 40mm shouldn't be too big. Any feedback is appreciated!
IMG_20180524_162217.jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 36mm just arrived and I'm impressed with the quality of the watch. The nicest one I had before now was a SARB035. However, I wouldn't say I'm struggling with the size but I'm wanting to reassure myself it's the right size for me. This will be my one watch that I hope to wear daily for years to come so I want it to be right. My wrist size is just under 7" and it appears that 48,6mm lug to lug on a Klassik 40mm shouldn't be too big. Any feedback is appreciated!
It looks absolutely perfect! If it feels slightly to small right now, just give it a week or two.

·
Registered
284 Posts
View attachment 13164245
I bought my Stowa Klassik Sport (43mm case) two weeks ago and it is a perfect fit on my wrist which is 6.75" ..... I guess it depends upon what you are used to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks great on your wrist!
Since the Flieger Klassik has a very thin bezel and a large dial, it looks larger on the wrist than it actually is. I would think most 36 mm watches look small on your wrist, but this one doesn’t.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate the kind comments, but I feel like the photos did a poor job of how the watch appeared in real life. There was a lot of wrist left over on each side and I think the part that bugged me most was how thin the 18mm straps appeared.

When I was originally trying to decide on which watch size to pick, I justified the 36 based on the descriptions of how large this style of watch wears, how it appeared in photos of similarly sized wrists, and that Stowa listed the 40mm as not being available until mid-July (no logo, with date), whereas the 36 was in stock. After the 36 arrived and didn't wear as large as I hoped, I called Stowa that night and spoke with Viveca. Turns out after she did a quick check on stock that they 40mm was indeed available for shipping right away. And they shipped the 40 out that day after I ordered.

Here's the part that sucks and hopefully a bit of caution to anyone who isn't sure about what size they really prefer. Even though I'm returning the watch and should get full credit back for the watch itself, I'm uncertain about three things. #1. Refund on original shipping of $45 (doubt it), #2. Refund of Paypal USD to Euro conversion BS of $48 (better off doing a direct transfer I guess), #3. FedEx customs bill (not sure how much but guessing $30).

Shipping back to Germany in a mode fast enough to get it back to them within 30 days was $130. So I'm out anywhere from $130 to $250. So not the greatest experience but that's my fault for not being patient enough to wait until "mid-July" if that's the size that I wanted. However these costs weren't completely clear to me before I ordered (ie PayPal).

It's a great watch though! I like the morning ritual of winding, the glow in the evening, and the generic simple beautiful face. Sinn was at the top of my radar for months but there was always something about the style or logo that turned me to Stowa. I'm adding a comparison photo of the two sizes, something I really had trouble finding beforehand. IMG_20180529_165917.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you made the right choice. Based on the pics you provided the larger 20mm strap seems more 'right' with this style of watch. Someone with a 6" wrist would probably be better off with the 36mm. I happen to be right in the middle at 6.5" and still am having a hard time deciding between the two. Given the history of the piece, maybe wearing something slightly larger than I'm used to isn't so bad.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mine is 6.25" and I think both the 36mm of my flieger and the 40mm of my marines are perfectly fine. Just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Currently I am trying to decide between the Flieger Classic 40 manual wind or the Classic 6498 small second manual wind. Size difference is pretty negligible, but I am having a really hard time deciding between the two. I much prefer the caseback of the 6498 and the big window into the movement, but I am disappointed it doesn't have a hackable seconds. It also kind of annoys me that the small second hand is not lumed. I think I may just go with the 40 with the manual wind ETA movement. Overall, I think I will be much more satisfied with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to mention, I love the look of that long sweeping second hand. Especially when illuminated in the dark. I think I just convinced myself while typing all of this. Thank guys lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
A flieger without central second is a no go for me.

The size between the classic 40 and the 6498 is only 1mm but the height is 10mm vs 12mm so the feeling is completely different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a follow-up on my return experience with Stowa. They refunded my money for the 36mm today to include original shipping. Also you receive any PayPal currency exchange fees you may have paid. That's nearly $100 that I wasn't necessarily expecting.

I'm in the hole $130 for the return shipping with FedEx and probably could have done it cheaper with USPS. But I have more confidence in FedEx getting it there in the 14 day window.

Very happy with the 40mm and hopefully the details of my experience will help someone else out in the future.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think either will work. I have the 36mm. If they do more runs with dials that excite me like this one did, but they only do it in 40, I'd get one. I feel like the 36 is like my Rolex Explorer substitute... although I'd have liked 100m of water resistance, it's still a lovely watch:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think either will work. I have the 36mm. If they do more runs with dials that excite me like this one did, but they only do it in 40, I'd get one. I feel like the 36 is like my Rolex Explorer substitute... although I'd have liked 100m of water resistance, it's still a lovely watch:

View attachment 15365614
That dial is so pretty, even from still images you can feel how dynamic it must be.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts