WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a watch like the Stowa fliegers or Hamilton khakis and wanted to know if anyone has similar suggestions? I want something simple but not too much, would still like to have some numbers around the dial. I think the mix between dress and sort of aviation style is what I’m looking for. Price range under 6-700 from a place like jomashop. Thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
What case size are you after? I've had an on/off search for the perfect flieger for some time but my slim wrist keeps me from anything over 40mm. In the >40mm size there are heaps of options.

Some suggestions - Laco, Archimede (even comes in bronze).

I think you'd find the Stowa to be a level up from the Hammy in terms of build quality, fit and finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Forget Jomashop (the horror...), go direct to the manufacturer with either Stowa or Archimede and pick up a pilot.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Stowa are absolutely fantastic. I just parted with a Stowa Flieger I had for several years (bought a Stowa Prodiver to replace it). My only issue with the flieger was the low WR, which resulted me not wearing it as much as I should have. If I were to do it again, I probably would pick up the Stowa Flieger Sport or one of the T0 series. Also look at the Sinn 556A and Damasko DA36/38.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll take a look at some of the other suggestions, but I now lean towards the Stowa. I would like 40+mm. I do see an option for the hour numerals on the inside, with the minutes on the outside, and I rather like that. I’d have to pick between that one and the classic 40 with logo. The Stowas are more than I can spend now, but I can wait or find a used one.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,482 Posts
get the Stowa and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
In this range of price and quality, you should feel comfortable making a decision based on aesthetics. Which one do you like the look of more? That's the answer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is not an either/or question. You need a fleiger and you need a field watch. You’ve picked out a couple of nice ones. The question is which one do you want to get first?

·
Registered
794 Posts
agree with the above - Stowa - classic pilot or Hamilton - classic field. The Stowa would be higher quality and you do pay more for it.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Lot of knee-jerk reactions to go with the Stowa. I don't think they're higher quality, just higher spec. and a higher level of finish. There's a difference.

One obvious thing you haven't considered yet is a Hamilton flieger. Then, you're in the Hamilton price range, but still have that Swiss quality you're after. Go poke around on their site and take a look.

I have a bunch of Hamiltons, and I love them. They cover the entry level to mid-class mechanical range very well.

Stowas seem very nice, but they also seem quite spendy for what they have on offer. Just like Hamilton, someone bought an old, well-known watch company and flipped it around. It would be like me buying a new Bullitt edition Mustang, then pretending it has the same pedigree as the one from the 60s. Not that it's BAD, but let's just not pretend there's a lot in the brand name here. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts