1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

could you please help with my one and only watch,

what do you think of this stowa, finish , technical, and durability,
is it worth a grand euro"""" beside daily hand winding, I just love the small second:-d
if you get to choose an alternative similar, what would you go for?

Not much reviews about this watch,

thanks for your opinion in advance:)

https://www.stowa.de/cosmoshop/pix/...einesekunde/g/Flieger_Unitas_6498_kl_Orig.jpg

Dimensions
Diameter: 41.00 mm
Height: 12.00 mm
Strap width: 22 mm
Lug-to-Lug size: 50.20 mm
Waterproof: up to 5 ATM
Weight: 77gr. (leather strap), about 130 gr. (metal bracelet)

Materiality
Case: Stainless steel, fine matt
Dial: black matt, white printed with small second, Superluminova C3
Crystals: Front Sapphire crystal domed and sapphire display case back
Hands: Temperature-blued steel, Superluminova C3
Strap: Leather strap or metal bracelet
Crown: Onion crown

Movement
Caliber: Unitas 6498-1
Mechanism: manual wind
Half vibrations per hour: 18,000 A/H
Function: hour, minutes
Power Reserve: min. 46 hours
Number of jewels: 17 synthetic rubies
Finish: Geneve Stripes finish, screw balance, swan neck regulator, blued screws, golden STOWA engraving

Specific features
screw balance, swan neck regulator, screwed display case back

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Personally I prefer the central seconds version but this one looks good too. I think a Stowa Flieger is a reasonable choice for an every day wearer. I wouldn't wear it with a suit but it will look fine for everything else and will certainly hold up. In terms of winding every day that is a personal choice. Some like the experience and others do not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes hand wind as an every day watch and more to be the only the watch, I' very confused between that stowa and longines heritage 1951,

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a central seconds Stowa Flieger, and while it's not my only watch, I do think it would make for a descent every day watch. You can dress it up with a nice aftermarket croc strap if you're wearing a suit. The look is very close to the IWC Mark XVI.

I ordered a croc from thewatchboys when I bought my Stowa four years ago, and it's still like new; the quality is excellent. And of course the watch is excellent too. :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,698 Posts
Well, it depends on what you are expecting, what your take on a watch is, what you lifestyle is about. When I used to live in the Netherlands with a perfect view on the beach I loved to pause for just the little time needed to wind up my watch every morning. You will get used verry fast to handwind your watch every morning, especially with a Stowa in your hands.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Accuracy is fine. But I didn't test. I don't wear it for daily because I rotate between my fliegers and other watches. Usually wear this for Friday casual work with khakis or jeans because my 6498 with brown strap + rivet. If its with black strap I'm sure I will wear it / rotate it for Mon - Thurs. So far, its for casual and weekend for me. I don't see much problem with hand winding your watch daily as its pretty much a ritual to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your feedback, just taking your opinion, if you get to choose between it and damasko da 46, which would you go for if it to be your only watch

Accuracy is fine. But I didn't test. I don't wear it for daily because I rotate between my fliegers and other watches. Usually wear this for Friday casual work with khakis or jeans because my 6498 with brown strap + rivet. If its with black strap I'm sure I will wear it / rotate it for Mon - Thurs. So far, its for casual and weekend for me. I don't see much problem with hand winding your watch daily as its pretty much a ritual to me.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
thanks for your feedback, just taking your opinion, if you get to choose between it and damasko da 46, which would you go for if it to be your only watch
Personally I wouldn't choose a watch with a rotating bezel as an every day wearer only due to it being too sporty for some attire. Something like the DA36, 35, or 37 would make better daily watches in my opinion. Can't speak to the Flieger accuracy as I don't own one but my DA36 is the most accurate piece I've owned with gaining 1-1.5 seconds a day on average.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Depending what career u are in, I personally don't think da46 suitable for office. Off course if u don't require formal then... U could get either one depending on your liking. Quoting Mike's word, its not Stowa vs Damasko, its Stowa & Damasko.

Bit if u ask me choose, I,ll go for Stowa between this 2. Not only because this is a Stowa forum, but I see this stowa more versatile and can wear in most occasion, wjilr da46 too tool'ish for me.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Only watch ? Both, the Stowa Flieger Original and the DA 46 are no all-rounders, I would go for a Antea KS as an only watch. Fits casual and business suits.
I considered suggesting this earlier but it seemed like he was mostly interested in Fliegers. However now that's it already been said I totally agree with Mike that an Antea/Tangente is a much better all around every day watch that looks good casual or when dressed up. Fliegers can only be dressed up so much due to both the style and the size. Another Stowa that could make a great every day all occasions watch is the Partitio in my opinion. Bit more of a vintage look but I think this piece can be pulled off with most attire, at least more so than a Flieger.

Of course all the above largely depends on who you are and what you do day-to-day. I work in a laboratory so the DA36 is a great daily work watch for me which gets much less wrist time than my other pieces in my personal life. If I wore a suit to work though, I'd probably save the Damasko for casual Fridays.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What accuracy do you need?
A fraction of a second a day? Five seconds a day? Ten minutes a day?

The deviation will be less than 10 to 15 seconds a day. You will make it to the bus stop in time,

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your comments, would love to have this fascination and able to buy both damasko da 46 and stowa flinger hand wind, and probably third on my mind the stowa antena, however with kids around and much playing would like a watch I don't have to take off before playing with my daughter :)
regarding work place all casual, and don't remember last time I wore a suit,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We log in at work by minute, don't think would fully rely on a automatic or manual watch, but sure looking for the closest accurate in both,
just wondering, are hand winding watches a horse work as said coz the bigger parts movements
What accuracy do you need?
A fraction of a second a day? Five seconds a day? Ten minutes a day?

The deviation will be less than 10 to 15 seconds a day. You will make it to the bus stop in time,

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks every one with the feed back,

i have actualy followed my heart and went with the stowa, made the payment and can't waith,

never saw these brands in real, but hopefully sure its worthed,

i'll try to post some pictures when i receive the watch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts