WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum (though not to WUS) and had a question to ask if that's OK?

I have been offered a mint 09/2005 Icarus (white dial 40mm COSC) in a trade for one of my watches and was wondering what the MSRP would have been when new please?

In addition, if anyone has any ideas on current value (all boxes/papers) then that would be handy too. I know that to a certain extent it is "how much is it worth to you?" but to get a ball-park figure would be handy.

Feel free to PM any replies if not appropriate for the forum.

Many thanks,

Guy :)

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Hi Guy,
I bought a mint used Icarus from Germany last year and I think I paid around 800 USD for it. Maybe that was the total with shipping. Can't really recall. Uvox did the deal for me so maybe he can remember. I have no idea what the new price was from Stowa.

The watch is worth every penny. Honestly, I don't wear it much, especially now that I have the Airman, but it certainly has its place in my collection.
Good luck,
Bruce

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
pinkwindmill said:
Thanks Bruce. Were they all COSC certified, do you know?

It is certainly a good-looking watch - I am very tempted!

Cheers,

Guy
I don't know Guy and I don't even know if mine was. The seller put the wrong papers in the box so I don't have the proper documentation. The movement is nicely decorated, though, with blued screws. Maybe I should take a pic of the movement. Jörg or someone may be able to tell?
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be good. I think they're all on holidays at the moment - at least, that's teh reply I got when I emailed Stowa!

Cheers,

Guy

S

·
0 Posts
pinkwindmill said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum (though not to WUS) and had a question to ask if that's OK?

I have been offered a mint 09/2005 Icarus (white dial 40mm COSC) in a trade for one of my watches and was wondering what the MSRP would have been when new please?

In addition, if anyone has any ideas on current value (all boxes/papers) then that would be handy too. I know that to a certain extent it is "how much is it worth to you?" but to get a ball-park figure would be handy.

Feel free to PM any replies if not appropriate for the forum.

Many thanks,

Guy :)

For 2nd hand prices have a look at www.chrono24.com or try google. The new Stowa Icarus according to online sources was 999,--Euro (with bracelet).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, I've surfed the net and most of the forums I know of and there's only been one or two sold recently, so it's difficult to gauge prices.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

Cheers,

Guy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures

Thanks Bruce - it does look nicely finished! The seller of the one I'm considering mentioned that his COSC number was on his movement - maybe that's the clue to a COSC Icarus vs a non-COSC Icarus?

Cheers,

Guy

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Re: Pictures

pinkwindmill said:
Thanks Bruce - it does look nicely finished! The seller of the one I'm considering mentioned that his COSC number was on his movement - maybe that's the clue to a COSC Icarus vs a non-COSC Icarus?

Cheers,

Guy
I dunno Guy. Does he have the COSC certificate? The certificate shipped out with my Airman. I'm not aware of the COSC number being engraved on the movement. That just doesn't make sense to me :-S
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
28 Posts
pinkwindmill said:
He does have a cert yes. Hmmm, I will try to find out... :think:

Guy

Hi Guy,

my Icarus, was without certificate, assume the last watch on stock.
When the mailshot was done for this bargain sale with following link;
http://www.durowe.com/bilder/Kollektionsuhren.jpg
thought it would be with certificate, believing that certified movements are not commonly requested and therefore the very last one left.
However it was anyway a "no-brainer" to take this opportunity.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have owned both the black and silver dialed Icarus models and IMHO the silver dial was much nicer. I do not believe a COSC version was ever officially produced and was probably just a special customer request. There were different versions of the Icarus based on the decoration of the movement. I believe they ranged from 400 to 999 euro depending on the finishing. Jorg has some COSC movements in stock and you can send him any Stowa to be refitted. That sounds like what has been done with the watch you are being offered. The newer COSC movements Jorg has appear to be numbered. In fact I am thinking of doing that with my Stowa Marine.

To answer your original question. I would place it's value of $600-1k for a mint COSC 40mm Icarus. Kind of a broad range but it all depends on demmand and how desperate you are for the watch. Since the model is no longer made, demand may increase. Look at the Dreadnaught watch. I think it originall sold for $700 and now they routinely sell for 2k. Sure the Icarus is no Dreadnaught but if the demand is there the price will reflect it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts