WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

Does anyone own both of these straps willing to post a comparison/photos?

Finding it hard to find any comparisons online. I have the basic black which came with my Marine Classic. I love this strap, very comfy and I like the lower profile with lack of padding. Is the handstitched just a better quality slightly thicker version (still absent of padding)?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi guys -

Does anyone own both of these straps willing to post a comparison/photos?

Finding it hard to find any comparisons online. I have the basic black which came with my Marine Classic. I love this strap, very comfy and I like the lower profile with lack of padding. Is the handstitched just a better quality slightly thicker version (still absent of padding)?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don’t have and comparison photo ad hoc.

But owning both I can say that the visual differences are minimal. The wearing comfort and durability are ways better with the hand stitched version.

The tactile sensation is excellent. Yes Imho the handstitched strap Upgrades the watch.

Almost all of my Stowas are equipped with the handstitched strap.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
IMO I’ve experienced both and would go with the hand-stitched strap. It has a better look and feel and the price is fair. I’ve bought two, one for my marine and one for my vintage Omega. I prefer this ones mostly because it looks nicer since they are a lot thicker and crisper. Original strap looks eh. All in all, if you can justify it, definitely go for the hand stitched IMO.

Below is a side by side of when my marine had the orginal strap and the hand stitched: (top two are orginal strap bottom two are hand stitched)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! Thinking of going with the handstitched. Any experience of the different colours? Have seen pics of most online aside from the blues which I'd like to see in the flesh. The lovely Sarah sent me a stock pic of all colours available on request.

I've never tried a deployant - any feedback on the Stowa one? Looks a little bit bulky but I like the idea.

For what it's worth, tried it on a Sinn alligator grain I had lying around with a Stowa clasp. It's pretty nice to wear I just prefer a more versatile contemporary look. The most dressy I'd ever get is chinos/button down collar/sports coat bar the odd wedding.

Marine 40mm with ETA 2801-2 Handwinding. Apologies for the poor lighting, quick and dirty phone pic.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I have two Stowa deployants, one for each hand stitched strap ironically. I ordered them a good 8+months apart. The first one I ordered slightly big on accident (18mm, didnt account for strap taper) which had a ok mechanism. Not bad but not perfect. The secomd i ordered with a strap so they installed it and it is miles better than the first one. Virtually the same just a slightly different engagement. The engagement on the second is smoother, quieter, and easier. The second was ordered long after the first, so it may be that they refreshed their line and use a different clasp. I’ll post pics below showing the thickness when worn. (160mm wrist if that matters) Considering how my experience went, if you do go hand stitched and deployant, I would recommend buying the strap with the deployant option to make sure you get the right size and not make my mistake. Plus that way also got me a better deployant clasp. If you want, I can post showing the mechinisms of each but I wasn’t sure that mattered. They both wear same thickness.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Edit: LOL my wrist looks so good its flagged 18+ :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: davidlee89

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you I appreciate that! Interesting to hear of your different experience with each order! I was hoping to buy the hand stitched separate to the deployant just to get an additional pin buckle for the same price.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Thank you I appreciate that! Interesting to hear of your different experience with each order! I was hoping to buy the hand stitched separate to the deployant just to get an additional pin buckle for the same price.
Was exactly my same plan! Stowa customer service is VERY accommodating so maybe you could email that to make sure you get the better clasp? Thats up to you I guess but make sure you get the right deployant size for the taper! Believe its 16mm (assuming you get 18mm hand stitched) but I have no way to check so I'm not positive. The deployant size they give you refers to the tips of the strap so its not the same as the lug size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe if I order first and ask later for them to install before shipping?

I reckon they change up their parts from third parties fairly often. My basic black strap is a completely different grain/leather to your pic (closer to the grain on the hand stitched).

My Marine is a 40mm btw so I believe it should be 20-18mm strap taper.

I know it's a bit safe and I already have 2x 20mm black leather straps but I'm still strongly leaning towards the black handstitched just to keep the monochrome German theme going.

Pic of my babies now it's daylight here

·
Registered
460 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the "stone" (dark gray) colored strap on a watch? I reckon that may look very nice on a marine watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts