WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too would love to see a wrist shot of the 36mm Stowa Marine. I would welcome people's thoughts on the choice of a dress watch: I am considering the 36mm Marine (Roman numerals), a white dial Partitio and a Hamilton silver 38mm Intra-Matic. All three seem to be beautiful, well regarded watches so any help making a choice would be welcome.

Here's my thoughts: The 36 to 38 mm size for all the options is perfect. Even though I have a 7.5" wrist I much prefer smaller (40mm and below watches) watches for their comfort and a look that I prefer. I'd prefer a white dial for this watch, but the silver of the Hamilton will work too, but I am not sure about the lack of a second hand on that watch. I prefer a date on my watch and that's missing from the Partitio. I work as a consultant, but I only wear suit on occasion. Most of the time I am wearing smart business casual. To get an idea of my preferences, I have trimmed my watch collection to just a few pieces: A Rolex Sub, Seiko Alpinist SARB017 and an inexpensive 37mm Seiko SNK809. I have owned a few Sinn watches (556, 856 and 857 UTC) as well as a Damasko... beautifully made watches but just not right for me so I sold them eventually.

Thanks for your thoughts... So what's your thought on each of these:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory White Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch White Strap Black

·
Registered
880 Posts
Here is my Partitio in the wild. My wrist is just under 7 inches (6.9 in).

Sorry about the glare in the picture. Even though the Partitio does not have AR coating, glare is really only noticeable in pictures.

It wears smaller than the pictures suggest, but not too small.

It's been my experience that Stowa watches display much better in the wild than in pictures, especially better than Stowa's website pictures, which like often look dull and washed out to me. Part of this may be that Jorg needs to hire a better photographer/web people, but more because Jorg's designs are subtle and designed for the eye in the wild, and not for Instagram photos (I'm looking at you, panda dials and most Omega Speedmaster LEs).

I wrote some notes to the black dial Partitio review up top in the review subfolder. I think this is a great business-casual watch. When I first got it, I thought about flipping it to a friend in Canada, who won't/can't buy watches from the EU because of the Canadian customs and duties and the weakness of the CAD compared to the EUR, but I decided to keep it because it's a terrific office watch.

View attachment 13526157

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thank you for posting the picture. The thin bezel combined with the bright white dial makes me think this new Stowa Marine wears a bit larger than most other 36mm watches. I like it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Many thanks for finally posting an in-the-wild photo, JuNi!

I'm not sure if it is the lighting in this particular photo, but I did find it slightly underwhelming after such a build up. In particular, the blued hands do not pop. The logo also looks more pronounced than I had expected, after seeing some wrist shots of the Antea (where it almost seemed to fade away as a lighter color). Perhaps it has to do with the relative size of the face compared to the 40mm or 41mm MA/MO?

I am on the cusp or ordering the handwound version, but now I feel like I am starting to second guess myself. Hopefully once @JuNi has a bit more time, we will be treated to wrist shots and other photos of the mini marine!

·
Registered
94 Posts
In case anyone else was wondering, Stowa told me that the handwound version of this watch is 1mm thinner.

I was also told (unsurprisingly) that it cannot be produced with the old logo, even for a premium in price. Sad!

It seems blue handstiched and blue croco straps have also disappeared completely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like fracture. said the blue is only visible under certain viewing angles and light condition. It is a very nice and subtile feature. The Photo should give you an idea but cannot show the real brilliance of the Blue. After strap change to the Stowa Croco strap in brown I find it a very nice dress watch. Because of the 36mm casing it is very comfortable to wear, decent but noble looking watch.

Best regards JuNi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like fracture. said the blue is only visible under certain viewing angles and light condition. It is a very nice and subtile feature. The Photo should give you an idea but cannot show the real brilliance of the Blue. After strap change to the Stowa Croco strap in brown I find it a very nice dress watch. Because of the 36mm casing it is very comfortable to wear, decent but noble looking watch.

Best regards JuNi
It's a beauty. However, I noticed that yours has a brushed finish. All I see available on the Stowa website are polished cases. I happen to like both polished and brushed, but was wondering if you placed a special request or if perhaps it's a regional offering.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good look for details - the brushed case was a custom request. This added 3 weeks to the delivery time - but the outcome fits well to the appearence imo.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks brilliant in better light and on the wrist! Your second shot has convinced me to proceed with ordering. One handwound, polished, Marine 36, in-bound in two weeks!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts