WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About 3 months ago i've received - directly from Stowa - my first "real" watch, that i've been lusting for some time.

Everything is great accept a slight misalignment of hands. Most of the time is not noticable at first glance, accept 6:00. The hour hand should hit the number 6 in center, however the hand is "late" about 2 minutes (becouse it centers around 6:02).

Is it acceptable? What should i do? I know it is not luxury watch, but it really upsets me...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the same! I'am looking for opinion just to find out if there is a real issue with hands alignment, or if there is something wrong with me and my OCD ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've heard the same! I'am looking for opinion just to find out if there is a real issue with hands alignment, or if there is something wrong with me and my OCD ;)
I think it's a little of both. What's acceptable is up to you -- it's your money and your watch. Some of us will tolerate the minute being two minutes ahead of the hour hand and others will not. My guess is, it's going to bother you in the long term, and you wouldn't be wrong. It is a fixable problem, so at least reach out and see what Stowa will do for you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think it's a little of both. What's acceptable is up to you -- it's your money and your watch. Some of us will tolerate the minute being two minutes ahead of the hour hand and others will not. My guess is, it's going to bother you in the long term, and you wouldn't be wrong. It is a fixable problem, so at least reach out and see what Stowa will do for you.
Yep, I agree with this. If I noticed this, I would be bothered by it and I would reach out to them to see what my options are!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday i've contacted stowa. Very nice and ultra fast customer service. Next week i'm sending the watch to the service. Will see ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

Congrats on your Marine.

Please guys, feel free to correct me if I am wrong but based on what I see here the watch don't seem to have a problem. While the minutes and hours hands are geared and synchronized together, my experience for having owned 3 Stowa's (one with hacking seconds, two without it) is that regardless of the movement there is in your watch, the seconds hand is totally free and independent from the the other twos. Obviously, the seconds hand should stop on a watch with hacking seconds when pulling out the crown and it will just keep spinning forever on a watch without hacking seconds but the fact remain that the seconds hand is independent and does its own thing in relation to the other two hands. Simply put, what you need to do here is to make sure that the seconds hand and the minutes hand reaches "0" at the same moment when setting time on your watch. You must manually set your minutes hand to zero when the seconds hand reaches zero. This is more easily achieved on a watch with hacking seconds but it is feasible either way. You could say that your watch has a problem if you do this and it somehow doesn't hold (you realize that the misalignment comes back on its own hours/days later). Otherwise, you watch is probably just fine.

Regard

Seb

·
Registered
28 Posts
To my earlier point, I've said that the minutes hand must be set to zero when the seconds hand reaches zero for the sake of fitting with the picture you provided but actually, the idea is to set/center the minutes hand on any minute marker when the seconds hand reaches zero. Once this is done all 3 hands will be perfectly synchronized until the next time that you want/need to set time. One must pay attention to this every time the time is set on a watch. This has nothing to do with Stowa, it is inherent to the design of the ETA movements used.

Seb

·
Registered
28 Posts
So yes, the hands really are misaligned on your watch. I somehow focused on the seconds hand not quite fitting with the minutes ones totally overlooking how the hours hand isn't quite right. My bad.

Seb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts