WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to check out this watch in person for months now, and Stowa was kind enough to loan me this watch to review.

Video Review

CASE

This case is 36mm in diameter, 45mm from lug-to-lug and an incredible 8.5mm in height. The case is entirely polished, and the finishing is excellent. The lugs gently curve down towards the wrist, and show off some of that excellent mirror polishing. The lugs do extend beyond the perfectly flat case-back, and I’ve found watches that do this to always be comfortable. There is a narrow bezel that seats the slightly domed sapphire crystal. The onion styled push-pull crown is polished, and is almost as tall as the case itself, so is very easy to grip and operate. The crown design suits the watch perfectly. Flipping it over, you have a screw-down case-back with a large exhibition window. The window is very welcome here, as it shows off the top grade ETA/Peseux 7001 movement. This watch is rated for up to 50m of water resistance.

DIAL

The dial is best aspect of this watch, and the vintage pocket watch inspired deck watch design is perfectly executed here. The base of the dial is listed as an enamel finish, but isn’t made of enamel. I think this finishing is pretty convincing, and the entire dial has the warmth that you get from enamel and ceramic.

The entire dial is printed; you have a printed railroad style minute track with a triangle marker for the 12 o’clock, and filled rectangular markers for each increment of five. You then have printed Arabic numerals, in a font almost identical to their vintage Marine observation pocket watches.

The seconds sub-dial is at the 6 o’clock and instead of an Arabic numeral for 6, you have a short rectangular marker instead to balance out the empty space. The sub-dial is beautifully recessed, and has a printed seconds track. The seconds track is accented by Arabic numerals for every 10 second increment, and well proportioned ticks for every 5 seconds.

The quality of printing on all the elements is excellent, and beyond anything you’d expect from a $1000 watch. If the impeccable printing doesn’t make you a believer, then you have to look at the hands. The hands are temperature blued steel, and are finished to perfection. These hands are incredible, and unfortunately my photographs cannot do them justice.

The center stack is very neat, and also finished in the same brilliant manner as the rest of the hands. I’m speechless at the level of finishing offered on this dial.

MOVEMENT

This watch uses the very slim Peseux/ETA 7001 and measures an impressive 2.5mm in thickness. I believe this is the top grade variant, and has wonderful decoration that is on full display thanks to the exhibition case-back. The impressive clean room standards of the dial extends to the movement as well, and there’s not a visible particle of dust or dirt to be seen here.

ON THE WRIST (6.25")

I have a 6.25″ wrist and I intentionally requested the 36mm version of this watch. I think I could’ve pulled off the 41mm option too, but I thought the slightly smaller case would suit this design better, and I was very pleased with how it turned out. The 45mm lug-to-lug width sits comfortably on my wrist, and the 8.5mm height gives it a beautiful sense of elegance. The case-back is perfectly flat, and allows the slightly curved lugs to gently wrap around the wrists. Overall this watch gets a 10/10 for comfort and there’s nothing they could have done better.

If you can't tell from all the superlatives above - I loved this watch, and I'd like to add a Stowa to my own collection soon.

Even Bella loved it...

Thanks for reading/watching!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What an absolutely stunning watch. Thank you for posting this, I'm in awe of the quality and looks. As someone who isn't particularly into dress watches, this has blown me away.

I hope you enjoy it for many years to come :)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
VERY nice watch shots! Closeups look amazing

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for a fantastic review. I've been thinking about a Stowa for a while and now I'm probably going to give in to temptation.

But surely this review has highlighted a much more interesting topic - can we do "Watches and Cats"? Bella is delightful.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm curious as to the dial diameter, as opposed to the case diameter. Any chance of getting a measurement?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been waiting for this one! Great stuff as always.
Thank you very much!

What an absolutely stunning watch. Thank you for posting this, I'm in awe of the quality and looks. As someone who isn't particularly into dress watches, this has blown me away.

I hope you enjoy it for many years to come :)
Thank you very much for reading, but just to clarify - this is not my watch, but was loaned to me for a few weeks to review. I am not a dress watch person either, but this one definitely stole my heart. And this isn't technically a dress watch since the origins of this watch were purely practical! But I understand what you mean, given the dimensions and water rating.

VERY nice watch shots! Closeups look amazing
Thank you for reading/looking!

Thanks for this review. This is the best review (and photography) of the M36KS I've seen to date! (y)
Thank you Buramu, that is very kind of you to say.

Thanks for a fantastic review. I've been thinking about a Stowa for a while and now I'm probably going to give in to temptation.

But surely this review has highlighted a much more interesting topic - can we do "Watches and Cats"? Bella is delightful.
Thank you very much for reading. Watches & Cats seems like a great idea, but Bella is very picky about the watches she wishes to spend time near. She is not a fan of most watches I own or review :LOL:

I'm curious as to the dial diameter, as opposed to the case diameter. Any chance of getting a measurement?
Unfortunately I did not measure that, and the watch is back with Stowa now. So as @Mike Stuffler suggested, it might be best to ask them directly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Man, what a watch, I absolutely love it, it’s pretty much perfect in my opinion. It’s the best looking watch Stowa offers right now.

Thank you for the great review, this is the first one I’ve seen of this watch, although you could slow down a little bit, feels like you’re rushing to say everything you’ve written down - just my observation.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, what a watch, I absolutely love it, it’s pretty much perfect in my opinion. It’s the best looking watch Stowa offers right now.

Thank you for the great review, this is the first one I’ve seen of this watch, although you could slow down a little bit, feels like you’re rushing to say everything you’ve written down - just my observation.
Thank you very much for watching, and for the feedback. I have been told about my pace. And that is exactly right - I'm trying my best to get through all the information in a short period of time. I've noticed that videos under 5 minutes do best with people. I will have to figure out how to prepare my material in a more concise manner. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Amazing photography! And well-written review! If I wasn’t worried about 36mm being too small, I’d have probably already put one of these on order.
Thank you very much! They do have a larger case size, with a Unitas movement. I personally love the idea of a Unitas movement in this more than the 7001 since it is a bit more historically accurate.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, I actually thought you might talk fast because you want to keep the videos short. In that case it’s a style and not a fault, I think!

To me, the UNITAS movement does look nicer, but the watch is not even close to as refined as the 36 mm. The negative space on the dial is used much better with the 36, the font is correct (1 is different on subdial and main dial with the larger one, making it plain ugly as it’s a mistake), ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Unfortunately I did not measure that, and the watch is back with Stowa now. So as @Mike Stuffler suggested, it might be best to ask them directly.
No problem, I'll drop them a line.

I find dial diameter to be a useful dimension to know, as it contributes to the overall on-wrist presence. For example, the case diameter of my Antea KS is 35.5mm, while my SNK807 is 37mm wide. However, the Antea looks larger on-wrist, because the dial diameter is approximately 31.5mm, while the dial on the SNK is only 30mm.

Oh, and nice review and photos!

·
Registered
461 Posts
If my calculations are correct, the dial is even a mm or two wider than the dial of my Speedmaster Pro. With a lug to lug of 45mm it should look pretty stylish on my fairly round 7.4" wrist.

My good news for today is that I have green light from the S.O. to order this watch for christmas. Good times! :D

Now to decide if I want it on the black strap or maybe dark brown or even stone-gray.

Edit: and the order has been placed - yay!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow! Quick response from Stowa! The diameter of the dial is "approx. 32,5mm". That's quite wide for a 36mm watch so, along with the white dial, it should wear significantly larger on-wrist, I would think. Since I only bought my Antea a few months ago, I think I'll have to wait a while longer for my next purchase...:(

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem, I'll drop them a line.

I find dial diameter to be a useful dimension to know, as it contributes to the overall on-wrist presence. For example, the case diameter of my Antea KS is 35.5mm, while my SNK807 is 37mm wide. However, the Antea looks larger on-wrist, because the dial diameter is approximately 31.5mm, while the dial on the SNK is only 30mm.

Oh, and nice review and photos!
Thank you!

If my calculations are correct, the dial is even a mm or two wider than the dial of my Speedmaster Pro. With a lug to lug of 45mm it should look pretty stylish on my fairly round 7.4" wrist.

My good news for today is that I have green light from the S.O. to order this watch for christmas. Good times! :D

Now to decide if I want it on the black strap or maybe dark brown or even stone-gray.

Edit: and the order has been placed - yay!
Congratulations! I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you receive it.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Excellent video and photos! Seriously, the watch companies should hire you for their marketing team. They usually have so few photos and so few close-up ones to highlight their products.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts