WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
If this thing were a 38mm with an automatic movement, I'd buy it today.

I have the Marine 40 with a Top movement and it's fantastic, but the bottom of the dial does seem empty without a small second sub-dial.
And yes, I know there's a 41mm version that does have a sub-dial, but it's a manual and almost double the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been wanting to check out this watch in person for months now, and Stowa was kind enough to loan me this watch to review.

Video Review

CASE

This case is 36mm in diameter, 45mm from lug-to-lug and an incredible 8.5mm in height. The case is entirely polished, and the finishing is excellent. The lugs gently curve down towards the wrist, and show off some of that excellent mirror polishing. The lugs do extend beyond the perfectly flat case-back, and I've found watches that do this to always be comfortable. There is a narrow bezel that seats the slightly domed sapphire crystal. The onion styled push-pull crown is polished, and is almost as tall as the case itself, so is very easy to grip and operate. The crown design suits the watch perfectly. Flipping it over, you have a screw-down case-back with a large exhibition window. The window is very welcome here, as it shows off the top grade ETA/Peseux 7001 movement. This watch is rated for up to 50m of water resistance.

DIAL

The dial is best aspect of this watch, and the vintage pocket watch inspired deck watch design is perfectly executed here. The base of the dial is listed as an enamel finish, but isn't made of enamel. I think this finishing is pretty convincing, and the entire dial has the warmth that you get from enamel and ceramic.

The entire dial is printed; you have a printed railroad style minute track with a triangle marker for the 12 o'clock, and filled rectangular markers for each increment of five. You then have printed Arabic numerals, in a font almost identical to their vintage Marine observation pocket watches.

The seconds sub-dial is at the 6 o'clock and instead of an Arabic numeral for 6, you have a short rectangular marker instead to balance out the empty space. The sub-dial is beautifully recessed, and has a printed seconds track. The seconds track is accented by Arabic numerals for every 10 second increment, and well proportioned ticks for every 5 seconds.

The quality of printing on all the elements is excellent, and beyond anything you'd expect from a $1000 watch. If the impeccable printing doesn't make you a believer, then you have to look at the hands. The hands are temperature blued steel, and are finished to perfection. These hands are incredible, and unfortunately my photographs cannot do them justice.

The center stack is very neat, and also finished in the same brilliant manner as the rest of the hands. I'm speechless at the level of finishing offered on this dial.

MOVEMENT

This watch uses the very slim Peseux/ETA 7001 and measures an impressive 2.5mm in thickness. I believe this is the top grade variant, and has wonderful decoration that is on full display thanks to the exhibition case-back. The impressive clean room standards of the dial extends to the movement as well, and there's not a visible particle of dust or dirt to be seen here.

ON THE WRIST (6.25")

I have a 6.25″ wrist and I intentionally requested the 36mm version of this watch. I think I could've pulled off the 41mm option too, but I thought the slightly smaller case would suit this design better, and I was very pleased with how it turned out. The 45mm lug-to-lug width sits comfortably on my wrist, and the 8.5mm height gives it a beautiful sense of elegance. The case-back is perfectly flat, and allows the slightly curved lugs to gently wrap around the wrists. Overall this watch gets a 10/10 for comfort and there's nothing they could have done better.

If you can't tell from all the superlatives above - I loved this watch, and I'd like to add a Stowa to my own collection soon.

Even Bella loved it...

Thanks for reading/watching!

A real sleeper watch-Love the idea of owning a great STOWA in this category.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If this thing were a 38mm with an automatic movement, I'd buy it today.

I have the Marine 40 with a Top movement and it's fantastic, but the bottom of the dial does seem empty without a small second sub-dial.
And yes, I know there's a 41mm version that does have a sub-dial, but it's a manual and almost double the price.
I totally agree about the dial- the 36mm's dial looks much better, I think it's that the numerals take up more space on the 36. Slightly larger numerals on the 40 would solve the problem I think.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I totally agree about the dial- the 36mm's dial looks much better, I think it's that the numerals take up more space on the 36. Slightly larger numerals on the 40 would solve the problem I think.
I also find the hands on the 40 a bit too thin. The hands on the 36 are proportionally perfect to my eyes.

Reactions: Stowie

·
Registered
438 Posts
This I think is the Marine I want now not the standard seconds version! Great review and excellent macros showing the quality. I have the Bronze Vintage 35 HW and within a day knew I wanted the 26 Marine too and this has to be it.

Your movement will be magnetised, I demagnetised mine using a £15 Amazon unit and has since been +4s a day.

These 36mm Stowas wear much bigger than the number suggests. My Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer Mechanical is 36mm for example but the Stowa just looks and feels bigger thanks to the minimal bzels and all dial front as well as the decent 44mm+ lug to lug and lug curve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've encountered your video on YT and it really made me want this exact model as my everyday/dressy 36mm piece. Been looking for one for some time, and I think I'm getting close to pulling the trigger....
1000 Euro is a bit much though, I'm wondering if I should hold on until Black Friday (i don't know if Stowa has any sales?)

First I was considering a Junghans Max Bill 34mm handwinded for that, but seeing that it has no sapphire (i don't feel like paying separately to have sapphire fit there), I dismissed it. The next in line would probably be Nomos, but I don't particularly dig their style. Wondering what other 34 - 36 mm no-vintage, 50m WR, silver/white alternatives are there for about $1000.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've encountered your video on YT and it really made me want this exact model as my everyday/dressy 36mm piece. Been looking for one for some time, and I think I'm getting close to pulling the trigger....
1000 Euro is a bit much though
I feel this watch is absolutely worth its asking price. Out of all my watches, the Marine 36 KS immediately became my favorite, and it still is today, over a year after getting it. The finishing is top quality, the movement (Peseux 7001) is a lot more interesting than the typical ETA/Sellita you will find in comparable watches and it's a stunning example of a classic German design.

Don't settle for second choice ;)

Watch Brown Analog watch Wood Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Plant Material property

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quite sure, it will be my next watch. So much in love with the spec and the pics. It will perfectly fit my current collection.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts