WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's just a bit of Sunday-afternoon fun. I hope Jörg won't kill me (or sue) for it ;)

Stowa has a beautiful line of classic Fliegers, and then used that as a basis to add a fantastic collection of modern Fliegers. I figured that the same evolution could be applied to the classic Marine watches.

My thought-experiment: what would a 'modern' evolution of a Stowa Marine watch look like? Here's my quick sketch:

• I've taken the typical Railroad-track element, and simplified it to its essential shape - including a cutout for the triangle at 12 o'clock
  • Applied the new logo (obviously), because this is clearly a modern Stowa
  • I've used variations of the DIN typeface for all the numerals, because that's the quintessential German type
  • The KS-subdial has been simplified, but I've added a subtle pattern of concentric circles to it for a playful guillauche effect
  • The hands are based on the Flieger hands, because they have just the right angular qualities for the more spartan look of this dial (and heat-blued, because you gotta love those blue hands!)
  • Case is identical to the TO2 Flieger, but in 36-38'ish mm (to be the younger cousin to the Marine 36 Handaufzug) - I love that crown, which should be perfect for winding the Peseux 7001.
That was a fun little exercise! :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Interesting idea. I like how flieger hands look on marine style dials.

I'd make one change: outline the 5min markers in black, like so.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting idea. I like how flieger hands look on marine style dials.

I'd make one change: outline the 5min markers in black, like so.
Nice (I actually played around with that idea too!) :)

At some point I decided against using outline-shapes consistently. It felt 'simpler' - and visual simplicity is to me one of the design qualities that most distinguishes German design from Swiss design. But yeah, it 'works' nonetheless. ;)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Not gonna lie, upon first glance I thought Stowa just released that watch. I was excited to put it as next on my list. Now I’m kinda sad I can’t since its just a concept...:cry:

Reactions: Buramu

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I prefer Buramu's original design: the "negative space" triangle at 12 is very cool!

36mm is too small for me, but I would instantly buy that watch in 38mm to 40mm.

Buramu, maybe you should start a microbrand ...

Reactions: Buramu

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
36mm is too small for me, but I would instantly buy that watch in 38mm to 40mm.
Yeah.. slightly bigger probably works nicely for a Marine watch. But we have to consider the availability of a mainstream (hand wound) movement that supports the KS subdial in that spot. I don't like the Unitas 6498, as the subdial sits too low on the main dial unless you blow the watch up to >43mm sizes.

That leaves the Peseux 7001 and the not-so-pretty Seagull ST17 (if we disregard the obscure automatics: the pricy Sellita SW260 and the odd Miyota 8245). Both the Peseux and the Seagull would work nicely in a 38-39mm case. And since Stowa already uses the 7001, that would be the obvious choice also for a slightly bigger watch :)

Buramu, maybe you should start a microbrand ...
Nah.. although I am from a seafaring nation, I can't build on brand equity, history and heritage like Stowa. ;)

How about a similar concept antea?
I love the Antea line, and arguably they already did a modern evolution with the Back to Bauhaus series!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

One of the details I liked is how the KS subdial can be a nice throwback to the look and feel of marine radars. That's why I feel the subdial is an essential ingredient to this design :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts