WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a used Stowa Marine Original (41mm diameter; 50.2mm lug-to-lug). Considering the unusually large lug-to-lug measurement of 50.2mm, I'm concerned about the watch being too large for my wrist. Consequently, I want to be able to re-sell the watch easily and get my money back. What price should I be paying? Is the deal outlined below good?

The watch is used, but in mint condition. It has the brushed finish, the glossy white dial, and the flat crown -- Not currently available on Stowa.de --.

New, the price is 1.243,70 € before VAT, or 1462 US dollars.
Used, the price is 903,54 US dollars.

Considering I live in Canada (QC), importing the new watch will cost, roughly, an additional 225 USD.

See: Marine Original arabic white | Uhrenmanufaktur seit 1927

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Jeez! Thats one heck of a import fee! I’d peruse the market to see what they usually go for in mint condition. That should show you if its a fair price.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The Stowa MO's with the Unitas movement rarely sell for less than $1000 and usually for a bit more. Cool, classic watch.
I've never seen a 41mm MO for the price you mentioned, so it's a good deal. Whether you can immediately resell for $1130 ($905 + $225) if you don't like the fit, that's more questionable.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
In my opinion that is the best bang for buck watch in the world. you are going to be shocked at the quality especially with that crown and the old logo. I had that as a daily wear for almost a decade and I still choose it over my $10,000 plus watches.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Stowa MO's with the Unitas movement rarely sell for less than $1000 and usually for a bit more. Cool, classic watch.
I've never seen a 41mm MO for the price you mentioned, so it's a good deal. Whether you can immediately resell for $1130 ($905 + $225) if you don't like the fit, that's more questionable.
The used Watch is located in my country, so no such fee! It would be 900$.

When importing in Canada, there is a 5% duty and a 13% tax in Quebec. If an item is shipped through CanadaPost, you may get lucky and not get hit with the fees. If it’s shipped through Fedex, you get hit 100% of the time!

indygreg=> Sorry for not replying to your message about the bronze watch. It’s beautiful and I wish you get a good price for it!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just for the heck of it go to Jomashop. Check out the Tissot Heritage Petite Seconde. It is selling for under $500 on a nice thick brown or black leather deployant clasp.

It has this movement. The Unitas 6498-1.

·
Registered
128 Posts
One just sold here for somewhere around $950 a couple of days ago. Was on the market for a couple of weeks. I was watching it closely.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i was the high bidder on eBay at $866 yesterday for an 11 month old Marine Original with upgraded silver dial described as new condition with a deployant clasp.there was only one other bidder. I looked at completed eBay listings and they seemed to be going for $800-850.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i was the high bidder on eBay at $866 yesterday for an 11 month old Marine Original with upgraded silver dial described as new condition with a deployant clasp.there was only one other bidder. I looked at completed eBay listings and they seemed to be going for $800-850.
Enjoy it! I nearly bit at that one, but I want the Roman numerals/silver dial version. Anyone out there have one gathering dust in a watch box? I posted on the WTB forum a couple of months ago but no bites. I'll have to repost, I guess.

·
Registered
30,620 Posts
Watchrecon is usually a good resource for checking on fair market value of various brands, IMHO.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The used Watch is located in my country, so no such fee! It would be 900$.

When importing in Canada, there is a 5% duty and a 13% tax in Quebec. If an item is shipped through CanadaPost, you may get lucky and not get hit with the fees. If it’s shipped through Fedex, you get hit 100% of the time!

indygreg=> Sorry for not replying to your message about the bronze watch. It’s beautiful and I wish you get a good price for it!
That's weird, I don't recall paying any import fee on e
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a used Stowa Marine Original (41mm diameter; 50.2mm lug-to-lug). Considering the unusually large lug-to-lug measurement of 50.2mm, I'm concerned about the watch being too large for my wrist. Consequently, I want to be able to re-sell the watch easily and get my money back. What price should I be paying? Is the deal outlined below good?

The watch is used, but in mint condition. It has the brushed finish, the glossy white dial, and the flat crown -- Not currently available on Stowa.de --.

New, the price is 1.243,70 € before VAT, or 1462 US dollars.
Used, the price is 903,54 US dollars.

Considering I live in Canada (QC), importing the new watch will cost, roughly, an additional 225 USD.

See: Marine Original arabic white | Uhrenmanufaktur seit 1927

I have bought two watches directly from Stowa and in both cases, I have not paid any import duty. The additional fees were either brokerage or GST. One was shipped by DHL and the other by FedEx.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I'm not mistaken, DHL hands the package over to Canada Post - it explains the hit or miss nature of fees. Fedex, however, offers customs brokerage as a ''service''. Taxes will always be applied.

If I'm not mistaken, Fedex brokerage fees are about 40$?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd say a good price is 700-800 pre-owned in good condition and should be able to get your money back if you buy at that price. Stowa marine originals in roman arent super common pre-owned but if you have patience, one will come up eventually. I sold mine a long while back for a little under 700 because it was too big but I have a 6 inch wrist lol. Crossing my fingers for them to make a 36mm version with small seconds and roman numerals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts