WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding myself drawn to the Marine Original 41mm with small seconds and Roman numerals. I've never had a watch with a Unitas movement and I love Stowa's finishing and use of a swan neck regulator - very pretty to look at.

Does anyone know if Stowa offers a brushed or matte case option? Is the case for the Marine Original the same case as the Flieger Classic with different finishing?
I've emailed Stowa and have not heard back yet but perhaps someone on WUS has the answer I'm seeking.

marineuhr_original_roemisch_weiss_zn-stowa-2600-neu.jpg

Reactions: SaoDavi

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've emailed them last Monday and they offer a matt finish for the Marine 36 small seconds, whose case is used, as far as I can tell, only for that model. I'd assume the Flieger 6498 case to be the same as the MO's, so I expect they will be able to accommodate you.

As for which case finish to choose, I think the dressier nature of the Marine lends itself better to a polished case.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've emailed them last Monday and they offer a matt finish for the Marine 36 small seconds, whose case is used, as far as I can tell, only for that model. I'd assume the Flieger 6498 case to be the same as the MO's, so I expect they will be able to accommodate you.

As for which case finish to choose, I think the dressier nature of the Marine lends itself better to a polished case.
Thanks for the info.

I'm not a fan of all polished cases. I am not the most graceful dude so they get banged up quickly. I find brushed cases handle the wear better. I also like to dress down rather than dress up watches so yeah, polished isn't necessarily my thing.

Reactions: EHV

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks, I've been considering Stowa Marine and have a 6.25-6.5" wrist, so I should definitely look at the 36mm. Your 36mm looks excellent on your wrist.
It is a great watch and makes for a fantastic everyday office watch for me. I actually ordered a matt staib mesh to go with it. It also send me down a deeper Stowa rabbit hole... Antea ks rose was my 2nd stowa. Currently thinking of either saving up for a partitio or alternatively a Nomos Orion (blued hands and gold indexes).

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
It is a great watch and makes for a fantastic everyday office watch for me. I actually ordered a matt staib mesh to go with it. It also send me down a deeper Stowa rabbit hole... Antea ks rose was my 2nd stowa. Currently thinking of either saving up for a partitio or alternatively a Nomos Orion (blued hands and gold indexes).

That's great to hear. I don't really have any dressy watches in my collection as they're mostly divers / tool watches. I'm considering the Marine Classic 36 Handwound as my first 'dressy' watch. From the few other Stowa owners I've talked to, it appears that "You can't have JUST one Stowa", haha.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That's great to hear. I don't really have any dressy watches in my collection as they're mostly divers / tool watches. I'm considering the Marine Classic 36 Handwound as my first 'dressy' watch. From the few other Stowa owners I've talked to, it appears that "You can't have JUST one Stowa", haha.
Very true! The marine 36 small seconds is also worth considering.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just heard back from Stowa. They can do a brushed or "matt" case on the Marine Original 41mm. Apparently, there's a "notes" section in the checkout process where I can specify my request for a brushed finish. The upcharge is 100 Euros.

I'm not sure if that's more or less expensive than I expected but if I do buy the watch, I'll definitely specify this option.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I just heard back from Stowa. They can do a brushed or "matt" case on the Marine Original 41mm. Apparently, there's a "notes" section in the checkout process where I can specify my request for a brushed finish. The upcharge is 100 Euros.

I'm not sure if that's more or less expensive than I expected but if I do buy the watch, I'll definitely specify this option.
Worth it!

·
Registered
800 Posts
My mind was set on polished but this thread had me searching and comparing photos of both versions and now I'm leaning on brushed... let the dial shine more and allow for fully brushed mesh bracelets to match the case better.

Good thing I haven't purchased my Marine yet!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts