WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Spectacular piece! I own the bronze Marine and wear it constantly this spring. The silver dial and blued hands work so well with the bronze case and the overall effect is very warm. It will be interesting to see how this black dial looks in comparison.

Reactions: StufflerMike

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I broke down and ordered a hand wound model.

The pictures look gorgeous

I woke up the other day thinking about adding a second bronze to my collection when I happened upon this thread so, it must be fate.
Post pics when you get it.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Bronze isn’t usually my cup of tea, but Stowa always manages to impress me. A brilliant looking watch indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Really looking forward to this piece. I can't get enough of that vintage vibe.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
For Stowa 100 year I think they should do a silver dial Flieger in bronze case with blued hands...or, the field watch reissue which they never seem to want to make even though it is iconic Stowa..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I broke down and ordered a hand wound model.

The pictures look gorgeous

I woke up the other day thinking about adding a second bronze to my collection when I happened upon this thread so, it must be fate.
Any chance it came in yet?? Really tempted to pull the trigger on one myself! Deciding between automatic or handwound... normally for a pilot's watch, I think handwound suits it better as that's how they originally came in. But the bronze caseback of the automatic...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same for me. With 4 to 6 weeks to delivery from moment of order, I should receive mine the first week of July!

Went for the handwound one :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I emailed and it appears that they will not be making a Type B version. I know that Type A is more popular, but I have the Flieger Chrono (mostly a Type A dial) and so I wanted something different.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I emailed and it appears that they will not be making a Type B version. I know that Type A is more popular, but I have the Flieger Chrono (mostly a Type A dial) and so I wanted something different.
The unique handset and dial on a bronze b-dial wouldn't have much use in other variations/lines of the flieger. It probably just isn't economical for such a small batch.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Congratulations and wear it in good health!

Does the dial have a slight sunburst or is that reflections? Matte or shiny dial? Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This looks fabulous. It looks very different from the 'run-of-the-mill' bronze watches today. Do you know how this is supposed to patina? It looks similar to the kind of Bronze that Tudor and Baltic are using (CuAl8, i think?). The Stowa website says CuSn8, which according to this Fratello article is supposed to be 'redder' than CuAl8. I'd love to see more pictures as this watch patinas over time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine arrived as well. I changed the strap for a black pilot strap but I think the vintage brown strap is going back on it.

This is the handwound one.

Weird how affinity for watches can be unpredictable: I ordered 2 watches from Stowa, the Flieger bronze which I thought I would love and which I do love and the Antea back to Bauhaus and even though the Flieger is everything I hoped, I did not expect being so taken by the Antea.... has barely left my wrist since I got it

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,754 Posts
This looks fabulous. It looks very different from the 'run-of-the-mill' bronze watches today. Do you know how this is supposed to patina? It looks similar to the kind of Bronze that Tudor and Baltic are using (CuAl8, i think?). The Stowa website says CuSn8, which according to this Fratello article is supposed to be 'redder' than CuAl8. I'd love to see more pictures as this watch patinas over time!
Stowa bronze is pre-aged, so it will no longer oxidize. The patina you see will remain intact. Joerg wanted to get the aging of bronze just right, according to his vision for the Bronze Flieger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Oh I'm sure it will continue to oxidize as soon as whatever treatment they applied wears off. Since the the case has been lightly bead blasted though it means that the treatment has the maximum adhering ability to the metal, but as soon as it gets a scratch, scuffs or just through simple low level abrasion, over time it will definitely continue to patina. There is no coating capable of lasting forever.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts