WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became interested in mechanical watches a couple of years ago. I had had a succession of cheap quartz watches that broke and, didn’t offer a great experience. I began to think that I would like something richer and more satisfying with more quality. From that point on, until now, it has been a constant journey of finding out what I do and don’t like and what I want more.

One thing that puts a ‘spanner in the works’ for me is that I don’t like secondhand watches. Rightly or wrongly (and I saw a thread here a week or two back that seemed to say ‘definitely wrongly’). I want my own watch. One that is mine and which goes with me all the way. I don’t want one that has been someone else’s.

In 2019, that lead me to buy a Stowa, a Partitio, classic black automatic. It’s a lovely watch but, whilst I like the idea of being a ‘one watch man’, and I am sure the bank manager/wife would agree with that for me, I can’t help but think that I would also like one or possibly, two more.

The other day, I found this old page from Worn and Wound - Stowa Introduces the Flieger TO1 and New Manual-Wind Chrono Options. It starts with the T01 but then moves onto the then-current collection. Take a look. My impression was 'Wow! These are the most beautiful and glamorous watches I have ever seen.' You need to scroll to the bottom to see all of the pictures. I know that they’re shot like that but, they do look fantastic. Those are the watches that I would like to buy, but... you can’t get them anymore, at least not quite like that.

Recently, Stowa has done special and limited editions of blue, sunburst and silver dials, bronze and sports-cased watches. Even now, with thermally-brown hands. I think that these are all great, sometimes, beautiful even.

There is another limited edition that I would like to see more. One which I think would be very cheap for Stowa to make and not tie up capital in slow-selling stock. I believe that it would make them money whilst making a good set of Stowa watch lovers like me, very happy. It could be a win all round.

Imagine a no date Weiss or Ikarus offer. This is what I suggest, a very small change to a standard line and made once a year to each line in turn so that people like me could have time to save up.

It could become a small yearly event.

This could run over all the lines but possibly start with those where it has never been offered before, the Back to Bauhaus and the Marine 36 small seconds.

Then it could move onto the main lines of the Antea and finally, the Flieger.

Again, I would begin with the Weiss and the Ikarus and then move onto the Classic black. I would also offer the Weiss and Ikarus without date as you can see in my terrible Photoshop efforts here.

As things stand now, I really like the black Back to Bauhaus small seconds, but feel that it’s not quite there. There is something not quite right which stops me from buying.

However, with this change, I believe the dial would be balanced so much better. The curves, the lines of the numbers, seem to flow and work all the way across the face of the watch. It seems more unified as a design and to be at one pace. The Stowa seems to fit right in.

They could even change the colour to highlight the offer. It doesn’t have to be some big statement about old and new logos or some kind of admission, but could instead, be something positive in its own right. A blue variant, either dark blue or light blue, like the colour of the blue steeled hands. Blue seems to fit with the past and at the same time, offer something striking.

Anyway, it’s just a thought, but I believe it would be a popular one. I don’t suppose it would ever happen, but I wish it would. I would be happy with any of these..

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I agree with mike, I’d love to see what they come up with if they started from scratch and created a new watch. They did this with the TO series and it would be cool if they did something like that again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see where you are all coming from but my point is that I like the watches that exist. I want the old logo and either just have it in a subtle grey, white or maybe a blue. Visually, it makes a massive difference. That is what I was saying with the Worn and Wound page. I want one of these but I don’t want to by a second hand one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would buy a 200m WR, 39-40 mm flieger in a heart beat. Alternatively, seatime/pro diver in 39-40mm, thin(ner) ~12-13mm thick, 200-300m WR. Anything I can safely go under a shower or into a swimming pool with*.

*and isn’t gigantic, thick brick

edit: throw in applied indices without numerals and a date you can have all my moneys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts