WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an email from Stowa indicating that there will be an additional delay on my Airman (the third one so far). I am seriously thinking of cancelling the order and getting an Archimede instead. They are both very similar design and use the same movement. The Archimede is also cheaper and from what I can tell from the website photos, the quality is very close to the Stowa. I have never owned either brand and wanted to know if anyone owns both and how they compare in quality, fit ant finish, etc. Photos would be very helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I think, you have already made up your mind: Buy that Archimede and forget about Stowa - at least you can save some dollars :-d

Volker

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Stowa all the way. No contest, IMHO. Not a slam on Archimede, just great endorsement for Stowa. :-!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to have a Pilot M, the smaller 39mm version. There were a few things I didn't like with it. It was 18s./day fast, the strap was rather poor quality, the lume on the hands looked a bit too thin and uneven, the date window ate the top of number 5, the finish of the movement was very basic, the numbers of the date looked very different from those on the dial. I first thought some of these faults could be overlooked, others could be fixed but I finally found I didn't like the watch enough to take the trouble and make the expense.
I'm still waiting for my Airman but from the other Stowas I have, I'm pretty confident that when I finally receive it, I will find it perfect, without any of those little issues that spoilt the Archimede for me.
Personnally, I'd recommend sticking with your first choice. You'll forget all about the waiting once you get the watch.

S

·
0 Posts
I just got an email from Stowa indicating that there will be an additional delay on my Airman (the third one so far). I am seriously thinking of cancelling the order and getting an Archimede instead. They are both very similar design and use the same movement. The Archimede is also cheaper and from what I can tell from the website photos, the quality is very close to the Stowa. I have never owned either brand and wanted to know if anyone owns both and how they compare in quality, fit ant finish, etc. Photos would be very helpful.

Thanks,
If you feel the need to cancel you will make another guy very happy to climb up on the waiting list. I own both the Archimede Pilot and the Stowa Flieger. Not on par.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

Thanks,
If patience has gotten the best of you and you refuse to wait to receive a new watch, perhaps pick up an Archimede 42mm while waitng for the Stowa Airman. The watches are of different price-points and both the best value at those price-points.

Stowa's worth the wait, and the ARCHIMEDE is worth picking up right away.

I wear the 42mm ARCHIMEDE and the Airman, not at the same time, of course. Deciding between them was a waste of time, so I ended up acquiring them both. ;-)

The below link will provide you with plenty of confusion, exactly what you need at this early stage of your discovery.

Get the ARCHIMEDE and be happy, get an Airman and be a bit happier. How will your wallet feel about each one?

Both companies offer superlative customer service, both watches are excellent values at each their own price-points.

What are YOUR priorities in owning/buying a watch, any watch?

1. Price
2. Lume
3. Casework and type style of case (brush vs blasted)
4. Option for a COSC
5. Value
6. Flat crystal for the dial or slightly domed
7. Readability
8. The role your current situation will play out relative to your wallet
9. History behind the watch company?

Keep looking around, use the search function to find ARCHIMEDE as well as Stowa - there are volumes to read on each timepiece and images galore.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=220047&highlight=stowa+archimede

Glen

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
I've seen both in the "steel" & went w/ Stowa...IMHO better fit & finish.

·
Registered
700 Posts
the lume on the hands looked a bit too thin and uneven,
it does have some unevenness... but i love my archimede 42mm

When my Stowa LE 2801 arrives, I'll do the comparison...

Either way... I think you won't regret picking either.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Waiting it tough...but I think you are making the right decision.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Waiting sucks, but you will get a quality watch my friend. Just think that Jorg and Stowa are making it just for you.

:-!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe Archimede (and many/most other 'flieger' watches, like Debaufre) have their 'blued' hands blue from paint, not heat. There's something just not right to me about that. I'm waiting patiently for my AO.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Thanks,
I've owned the Archimede Pilot:

The Archimede Pilot M:

And the Archimede White Pilot:

I've also owned the Stowa serial Airman without date:

Let's face it - for the money the Archimedes' are great watches. But the Stowa is in a whole 'nother class.

Be patient. The wait will do you good.

Dave

·
Registered
181 Posts
the diamond-shaped crown on the archimede REALLY, REALLY does it for me

like on the panerai luminor and IWC pilots

i really wish that that was available on the Marine O

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get whichever one you like more, but don't think that you're gettng less with an Archimede. The watches do not have significant differences from a quality standpoint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you feel the need to cancel you will make another guy very happy to climb up on the waiting list. I own both the Archimede Pilot and the Stowa Flieger. Not on par.

Mike, I'm curious on how one moves up on the waiting list when we've been assigned numbers? I think my number is 447. I would love to move up and have been currious about this. I'm sure there will be earlier numbers than mine that don't buy for whatever reason. Lets say for example that number 175 and 176 cancel for whatever reason. Does everyone above those number move on two slots? I'm asking because I've not seen any examples of this.

Thanks, Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts