WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with ordering and importing a Stowa Flieger into Canada?
Alternatively, are there any Canadian AD or secondhand shop that carry Stowa at all?

I've done my research and am interested in getting a Stowa Flieger Klassic. I could be happy with a pre-owned one if I could find one. But I also like the idea of the custom order that Stowa offers.

Any thoughts on Customs issues? If read a very old post (2008?) about having to have a Customs Broker, which seems ridiculous.

Anyone ordered straight from Stowa before? Recently?

·
Registered
238 Posts
yvrclimber,

I have not ordered from Stowa but, as a fellow Canuck, I feel the pain of receiving a watch from outside our borders.... I found this thread in the Steinhart forum concerning receiving watches from Germany and the best shipping options for us.

Good luck with your order,
Tony

Ps. No Stowa AD, as they only sell from their webstore.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Customs will be unavoidable, since Stowa ships via FedEx, who will be collecting customs at delivery.

Received a watch from Stowa a bit earlier this year.

(With almost every watch in the collection having come from outside Canada, I've pretty much resigned myself to customs being part of the cost of the watch, save for the odd time where it gets shipped regular mail, leaving it to postal dice roll whether I get dinged or not...)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Recently went through the order process & shipping. No need for concern. Payment for the watch by Paypal is the easiest. Stowa sends you a PayPal invoice if you use that payment option. After sign-in you enter the euros required & it will auto convert for you & charge you in our dollars. The PayPal fees are respectable relative to bank charges anyway. I have a PayPal / Bank account sync so I don't even have to have any funds in my PP. ( no waiting for added PP funds to clear)
If you chose FedEx delivery you will receive tracking data & will be charged tax & customs duty at the door. (13% + 5% approx.) It will take about 2 days.
You can also choose the option of German equivalent to Canada Post & it will be handed over to our Post at Canada Customs. This way you MIGHT get lucky & avoid extra charges depending on "a coin flip" as it were. Some do some don't. It will take about a week. It's cheaper & may be worth your while. If you order a higher priced Stowa it may be wise to use Fedex for insurance reasons.

Good luck & let us know of your process.
B.

EDIT: You are not likely to find second hand Stowa Fliegers in a shop. The WUS classifieds may help but if you have something specific you want, you'll probably need to order direct from Stowa.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Hi,

I have ordered a Stowa Seatime Prodiver last fall 2016 from them. Previous poster is correct. They send you an invoice and you pay.

It took about 10 days before shipping (at least in my situation). I think the watch I ordered was not in-stock and they built one for me.

Like you expect, FedEx is the carrier so expect full taxes and fees on top of the hefty amount you will pay. In my situation, it was about 200$ CAD in extra taxes and fees I needed to pay. The watch was about 1000 EUR.

I'm a notorious serial flipper and this one is still in my collection one year later, they are really great.

Cheers,

Seb

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Banned
82 Posts
I purchased a white-dial Marine Original in April and a Partitio handwind for my wife in June. In both cases, the watches were sent via FedEx and the usual duties/taxes were collected by them. For a brand as unique (and German of course) as Stowa, the customs fees are simply part of the deal. Remember also that since the watch is being shipped outside the EU, the 19% German VAT is removed at checkout.

·
Registered
304 Posts
110% get them to ship via DHL - I have had 5 or 6 Stowas(who's counting anyway) shipped to Canada and the last couple that I requested DHL I paid zero taxes or duties.

FedEx cost me about $150 per watch. I also recently had a watch shipped from the US via DHL and I paid sales tax but nothing more no duty no brokerage etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice tip! I have recently ordered a Stowa as well and was hoping I could avoid taxes and duty. I'll fire an email to them and see if I can get it shipped in DHL. Thanks!

110% get them to ship via DHL - I have had 5 or 6 Stowas(who's counting anyway) shipped to Canada and the last couple that I requested DHL I paid zero taxes or duties.

FedEx cost me about $150 per watch. I also recently had a watch shipped from the US via DHL and I paid sales tax but nothing more no duty no brokerage etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea I'm in the same boat. I'm in Toronto and I want to purchase from stowa soon, but I'm just unsure about the total added costs.... Its 13% + 5% for duty and tax, and if I go with FedEx there are brokerage costs as well? Can someone confirm this? So I'm looking at over 18% on top of the cost plus shipping? Does DHL not have a brokerage charge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figured I would update this thread with my Stowa order/delivery/customs experience.

I ordered a white dial Partitio during the advent calendar sale in December. I asked to have the watch shipped via DHL (based on info in this thread) but this was initially missed and I received a notification that my watch would be coming via FedEx. A quick call to Stowa cleared this up (their customer service is as good as everyone says it is!).

The watch was shipped on December 19th and arrived yesterday afternoon via Canada Post. Unfortunately I did end up getting dinged with duty/tax/brokerage on the watch, totaling around $180 (5% duty, 13% HST, $10 Canada Post brokerage). This of course is standard practice and is supposed to be the case with all international shipments, but based on previous comments in this thread I was hoping to get lucky.

In any event, I couldn't be happier with the watch. It really looks quite sharp (literally and figuratively) in person. The syringe style hands, the dial detailing, the old logo, I could go on and on. Pictures really don't do it justice.

Thanks Stowa for the great promotion and customer service!

IMG_20190103_105631.jpg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Has anyone had to send their watch from Canada to Stowa for servicing? Would I be paying customs/duties both when I import it (upon purchasing new), and every time thereafter it’s sent for service back to Stowa in Germany?

I assume one could dispute any customs charges with CBSA if the item came back from a service in Germany and you had already paid Canadian customs and duties when it was first purchased new? You’d have to send them the original custom form showing duties had been paid and documents on showing the watch was only serviced in Germany.

I suppose you could avoid any CBSA hassles by getting the watch serviced locally in Canada once you import it, however, it would be nice to have Stowa service it. This is the one concern buying Stowa holding me back from buying from Stowa. I don’t want the hassle of fighting with CBSA to get customs fees back if I’m dinged twice on the same watch.

·
Moderator at Large
52,758 Posts
From a former post

You can look up the duty on anything from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) website. I looked once for watches and watch parts. I think complete watches are less than 7.5% and parts are duty free. The parcel should have a slip from CBSA on it that clearly states the duty charged that you could take back to them and dispute it once you find the appropriate line in the duty schedule. If it is a "brokerage" fee from UPS or FedEx, you are screwed because they can basically charge as much as they want on top of duty and tax.

For repair and return item, it always seems tricky but it has to be declared in both directions especially by the other end on the return or CBSA will charge you like you bought it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts