WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to add an orange faced diver to the collection. At the moment I've narrowed down my choices to the Stowa Prodiver or Ocean7 LM-6. Price is not a consideration, so I'm wondering what the board's opinion is regarding these two choices.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I think the Stowa Prodiver is a better made watch with a superior bracelet. Ocean7 bracelets are thick, but if they are the same as my Enzo bracelet, have some sharp edges.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi,

Stowa Prodiver is a superb watch, have owned one and I regret selling it :-| Never had an Ocean7 watch, but it's seems to be a great value. I'm waiting for LM-5

//Mike

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Prodiver, very well made and comfortable. Th eabove poster is right, the O7 bracelet has some sharp edges, and combined with the weight, can make for some uncomfortable situations. The PD bracelet is a work of art, with chamfered edges, smooth to the touch.

Plus th PD has interchangeable bezels... great for freshening up the look if you get tired of it.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
the stowa prodiver. german made, swiss adjusted movement, fit and finish is much better and the lume is the brightest out there. theres a lume test in the dwf that shows how good the pro diver is. now that I'm not a mod, I can say what I need to. the ocean7 is a young company. there not even close to the stowa yet. there good, but not that good yet.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
O7 is a solid watch but the Prodiver is top notch that you feel instantly when you put it on. Lume is a blowtorch, great timekeeper etc. Prodiver is a pro watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yesterday I saw a Prodiver "in the flesh" for the first time. I am very, very impressed.
So impressed, that I will order one after my holliday.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have never handled either, but I would plop my cash on a Prodiver way before an LM6.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've had two ProDivers and I'm not selling this one again. It's the most comfortable heavy watch I've tried so far. I agree with the other posters, the bracelet is one of the best. I've owned the LM-2 and the bracelet with the butterfly clasp was not comfortable for me.

ProDiver all the way.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi,

Stowa Prodiver is a superb watch, have owned one and I regret selling it :-| Never had an Ocean7 watch, but it's seems to be a great value. I'm waiting for LM-5

//Mike
Ditto! The Prodiver is an amazing watch... only wish I'd kept mine!

Jacob

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
I have no experience with Stowa but since all you'll get is opinion i'll offer mine; Ocean 7 makes some very nice watches and since buying a LM 2 just over a month ago I have added a LM 1 and LM6.
the LM6 is a large heavy diver, extremely well made and i find the case style much more aesthetic than the pictures of the Prodiver i've seen, also the dial of the O7 is more to my liking since i don't feel the need for a bunch of superfluous writing with the watch specs to be on display, O7 has it right.
O7 is young and few people seem to know that is that most of the watch compalies today are nearly as young having bought their "history" from picking up defunct brand names from holding companies. the Ocean 7 company is at least honest about where they come from, i find that refreshing. mechanically they are pretty much the same watch so i guess one of the biggest factors is price which is not subjective, take the LM6 and use the spare $500 and plan a trip to actually use it, at least that's how i see it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have had both. I had and sold a Pro Diver and bought another. I will never sell again. I am in total agreement with CARSMOVIES on this one. All the comments regarding the Pro Diver I agree with. I also had and sold my LM-6. I did like it a lot. I'm thinking about getting the new blue version. I will say this about the comparison, I do think that aesthetically the Stowa has a bit of a squared look to the case that at first I wasn't totally thrilled with. However after having it awhile you begin to appreciate the tremendous value even at that price. The LM-6 has a classic divers look, my complaints are very minor. I wish it had an AR coating on the inside and I did find the bracelet to be a little uncomfortable on certain occasions. I thought the build quality was superb and if I tried the other clasp I think the bracelet issue would be fine. A tough call two awesome watches.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've only seen pictures of the orange dialed Prodiver but it looks like it has a richer and deeper shade of orange than the O7 which looks more like orange sherbet and is a bit paler. Case wise, these really are two different animals in that the LM6 is much more traditional in it's shape than the PD (which on the bracelet reminds me of the Omega SHOM). I find that the PD looks better in real life than in pictures so if you can get a chance to handle them, it might help your decision a lot.

The Prodiver can be had for a good discount on the sales corner but I'm not sure how often orange dials come up (although I've seen some mellon dials). The 07 warrantee is not transferable if that matters to you.

Every thread like this need at least a tangentially related picture.

Not orange faced, but here is my prodiver on one of Don's sharkskins

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I own the Prodiver and two LM-6 Orange GMT's. The PD and the LM-6 are both great watches but I prefer the LM-6. I find it wears more comfortably on my 7 3/4" wrist. I also prefer the bezel feel on the LM-6. The PD is a 60 click bezel while the LM-6 is 120. Ultimately the choice is purely subjective. Buy what you like. ;-)

You might also consider the upcoming LM-6T which will be an extreme version of the LM-6.
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=129745

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I agree with Cannon's remark above: you have to decide for yourself. Comparing the two because they are both large, heavy dive watches does neither watch justice. For example, the lume on the LM-6 is BG-W9, which appears white on the dial and blue in the dark while the PD has (presumably) SL. Since Cannon has already posted LM-6 photos, here's some PD (melon dial, not orange) and lume photos (the LM-6 is a GMT):

LM-6 lume compared to the Auto-zilla:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of great input and insight.

Collin makes a good distinction, however subtle, that the PD is a melon and not an orange face.

There are a few others to consider I guess too... Benthic, for example.

One other consideration...isn't it written somewhere that your first Stowa purchase should be the Airman?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I own the Enzo which is close to the Ocean7, mine has no sharp edges on the bracelet. I think the Stowa is a much better watch, however I have not owned one. I think most people here will say the Stowa is a superior watch hands down.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
this is the dwf. 1st stowa is the seatime.|> for other fora, the intro stowa is the Antea. thats inexpensive and lets you see there build quality. I'm buying the white dialed pro diver on monday. I was waiting to see if one would show up on the sales forum, but none in that color so far.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Lots of great input and insight.

Collin makes a good distinction, however subtle, that the PD is a melon and not an orange face.

There are a few others to consider I guess too... Benthic, for example.

One other consideration...isn't it written somewhere that your first Stowa purchase should be the Airman?
Actually, the one pictured is melon, which is NLA. Stowa still have an orange dial available. They are slightly different shades, but not having seen the orange IRL I wouldn't venture to say what the differences are. Compressed and re-sized digital photos on a forum aren't the best way to judge subtleties of colour shading.

I realise that the OP says price isn't an object, but even if not an object, the fact is that for the price of a PD you can get an LM-6 on a bracelet and still have enough money left over for a very nice dive watch (I've paid less than $600 for a used Auto-zilla). That's not an insignificant consideration for many WISs.

IOW, for 2/3rds more, the PD should be a clearly better watch, but as we've seen from the posts from folks who've owned both it's not that clear cut. I haven't worn the PD long enough to say which I prefer because a springbar on the diver's extension broke and I'm waiting for a replacement :-(

As noted, there are other orange divers out there: Limes 1 Tausend, DOXA Pros of many flavours, Anonimo, Citizen A'land, Seiko OM/Sammy/Sumo/etc., Rolex (just seeing who's paying attention) :-d and many others which I'm less familiar with.

My first Stowa was a Marine, though I am awaiting delivery on an FO b-)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts