WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've now had my (special offer) Stowa Classic 40mm hand winding version for a couple of months and thought I'd give a very brief review.
I absolutely love the watch and it keeps excellent time. Straps are comfortable and have worn in well. One of the best cases I have seen on a watch too.

I have been wearing it about 4 days a week, swap it out on other days for another of my watches.

The only very minor gripes I have is that the indices and numerals are not as white coloured as I hoped. I understand that this is down to the lume applied which gives the greenish tinge, but personally think that the whiter the markers/numerals on a black dial, the more eligible the watch is to read. I'd sacrifice lume any time to achieve this.
My Steinhart NAV B UHR is a good example of it being done very well.

Secondly, I think the second hand is too thick, as once or twice I've had to look again at the dial to tell time current time. That's down to me mixing second/hour and minute hands up at first glance..
Ideally (for me) a thinner second hand, or different colour altogether.

That's it, and hope this doesn't come across as a whinge. It's a keeper and I'm definitely a Stowa convert; the 40mm Marine Original Arabic is next on my hit-list. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've now had my (special offer) Stowa Classic 40mm hand winding version for a couple of months and thought I'd give a very brief review.
I absolutely love the watch and it keeps excellent time. Straps are comfortable and have worn in well. One of the best cases I have seen on a watch too.

I have been wearing it about 4 days a week, swap it out on other days for another of my watches.

The only very minor gripes I have is that the indices and numerals are not as white coloured as I hoped. I understand that this is down to the lume applied which gives the greenish tinge, but personally think that the whiter the markers/numerals on a black dial, the more eligible the watch is to read. I'd sacrifice lume any time to achieve this.
My Steinhart NAV B UHR is a good example of it being done very well.

Secondly, I think the second hand is too thick, as once or twice I've had to look again at the dial to tell time current time. That's down to me mixing second/hour and minute hands up at first glance..

That's it, and hope this doesn't come across as a whinge. It's a keeper and I'm definitely a Stowa convert; the 40mm Marine Original Arabic is next on my hit-list. :)
I've thought the same thing too that the seconds hand on my Flieger was the minute hand...had to do a double take.

I also much prefer the BGW9 to the C3 as it's white during the day...and I prefer the blue hue at night. But my Sinn is bright white during the day and glows green at night so obviously it's doable...not sure what Stowa is using on their Fliegers

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And still, this link was only available to mail subscribers, and isn't on the website normally.
Yet they have constant deals here. A bunch are gone since I originally posted, but there are lots of new offerings too.

I personally like the Antea 1919 at €582 / £500 (inc tax and €10 voucher). Swiss movement, steel, sapphire (with great AR), and from one of the top 'Made in Germany' brands, along with all the extras (2yr warranty, good service, nice box etc): I think £500 is a great value proposition.
Wish my discounted Antea 390 was priced at £500 in stead of £740!

Also seen someone from Moldova post loads of amazing used Stowa deals on some watch sales sites. But idk seems a bit sus.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Question: Is it important to know if those special offers have to do with Stowa being sold?
Answer 1: No.
Answer 2: No, special offers are a recurring offer since years and have nothing to do with Stowa being sold.
Thanks for the answer Mike. That's what I wanted to know. Quoting the post in reference is always a good idea.

In that case.... Why would that not be important to know? Many watch companies have special offers after being purchased by another company.
Although it feels like I asked some horrible, verboten question, I think my question was as relevant as relevant can be.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the answer Mike. That's what I wanted to know. Quoting the post in reference is always a good idea.

In that case.... Why would that not be important to know? Many watch companies have special offers after being purchased by another company.
Although it feels like I asked some horrible, verboten question, I think my question was as relevant as relevant can be.
Don't worry about it. A lot of people around here act like you should know everything. The special offer watches are usually ones that were returned or often taken out to watch shows where they were handled by people quite a bit. Stowa inspects them though before they send them out so you should be okay and if you're not you can always return it or exchange it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree. I got hold of a 40 mil Flieger classic about three months ago and have used it most days for work since. It’s a great design in general terms and I thought it would be an unalloyed success. That’s not entirely true for me though, the case is fantastic but the foreground background element of the dial/face design are difficult.
The minute hand is too small I believe. When it is reading as black rather than blue, it disappears into the rest of the design and becomes too small scaled against all the numbers and dashes. that in itself makes reading the time longer and more difficult than it should be.
I also agree with you that the second hand is too thick, and so all of the elements, the hands, the dashes round the edge, equalise and become merged into one thing which makes it difficult to read.
By contrast, I also have a Partitio which is highly legible at a glance. The white hands seem to really stand out from the black background. And you can see exactly what the time is as you look at it. The dashes round the edge are much smaller scaled and you can easily distinguish each part.
Interestingly though, the Partitio was based on a 1930s watch designed for ordinary people, whilst the Flieger was done for the military – I would’ve thought in some military specification/ way, they needed highly legible dials. It might have got quite stressful in the cockpit from time to time, and they might have needed to know what the time was without thinking too much about it. I’ve never seen the B dial in person, so I don’t know what that’s like in practice. It looks complicated in photos, but it might actually work in use. I think the short hour hand might get obscured by the minute hand. I have never understood why the bigger and longer minute hand is on top on all watches.
I think the green Flieger seems to help a bit with legibility but probably needs black edged hands like the Ikarus. I think the black dashes on the Ikarus and white Fliegers are better, but can’t get on with the idea of the date on them, it seems to destroy the design.
Without wishing to annoy anyone, I think the minute hand should be made bigger on the Flieger. The dashes thinner (I think earleir versions did have smaller thinner background dashes). Finally, I think the second hand should be thinner too. Just my opinion though, still will wear daily to work…

21 - 32 of 32 Posts