WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basics:
Stowa TO1 TESTAF (TESTAF stands for Technischer Standard Fliegeruhren or Technical Standard for Pilot’s Watches)

View attachment 10589938

Diametre: 46mm
Movement: Swiss made ETA 2824-2 chronometre grade 28800 bph
Case: Titanium
Crystal: Front: Domed sapphire - Back: sapphire
Other: Signed crown, 200m water resistance, countdown bezel, TESTAF certified

TESTAF was developed jointly by Euro Copter, Sinn and the University of Aachen. It was developed because at the time there was no current standard for pilot watches like there are for dive watches for example. (https://monochrome-watches.com/testaf-the-new-standard-for-pilots-watches/).

Stowa was founded in 1927 in Hornberg/Kinzigtal, Germany by Walter Storz. They were one of the five companies who manufactured the Beobachtungsuhr for the luftwaffe during WWII. The stowa factory was subsequently destroyed during allied air raids on Pforzheim. The factory was rebuilt and remained under the ownership of the Storz family until 1996. Currently stowa is owned by Jörg Schauer.

Short Review

I have owned this watch since 2015 and it is still one of my favourites. It originally came on a leather strap but I replaced that with a nato. I can see the thought that went into the design. It, is highly legible with no complications on the dial. It looks a lot like an instrument you might find in a cockpit.
View attachment 10589954

It has a 60 click bidirectional titanium count down bezel which has no play and clicks smoothly from minute to minute. The bezel insert has been sloped inwards which helps protect it from getting scratched. The crown is signed with the stowa logo.

View attachment 10589962

The movement is a beutifully finished ETA 2824 with a custom Stowa rotor.

View attachment 10589970
View attachment 10589978

It is difficult to see the Stowa logo and TESTAF certified mark. Which is denoted by an aircraft in a circle on the dial unless it is in the right light. Stowa have applied both in grey.

View attachment 10590002

The build quality is great and the careful attention to detail and legibility and durability afforded by adhering to the TESTAF standard. Make this watch fantastic value for money. It's my third favourite after my T1 and Grand Seiko. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
29,076 Posts
Nice review and great pictures as well. Enjoy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts