WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought this non running Stowa and am thinking to have it sensitively restored. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Age? Is it really circa WWII, and what is he maritime connection (if any) apart from the red anchor ??

Opinions are also welcome, i.e. does it make sense to restore it, and what is sensible to retain as-is? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
From the movement you may be able to have a reasonable time frame. There should be an engraving under the balance spring but I can't see it on the pictures.

On the other hand, the "Stowa" engraving on the ratchet wheel seems really suspicious to me.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the dial has also been altered.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,011 Posts
I think the "maritime" character (read: red anchor) has been added by an untalented tinkerer. The watch for sure wasn't issued to martime units, especially not to the KM.
On almost all pre WW II Stowa I've seen the I and 0 are equally sized, not the case here. This alone makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the knowledgeable input. So is the consensus that I shouldn't bother with the renovation? I thought it might look good after a clean and with a new plastic "crystal".

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,011 Posts
Thanks for the knowledgeable input. So is the consensus that I shouldn't bother with the renovation? I thought it might look good after a clean and with a new plastic "crystal".
Even after a clean and new crystal it would look franken because of the red anchor.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
These details are suspicious:
- red anchor
- partially eaten "6"
- wrong "4" for that period
- different size in the numerals at "1o"
- "STAHL BODEN" in German is to be written in one word STAHLBODEN

Two weeks ago I won an auction with five vintage watches for less than 40,- €. All five could be changed from nameless to STOWA without effort and with only a little talent. Then they are "Rare timepieces from WW ll, probably worn by Hermann Göring and friends....".
Each of the five then will sell for more than 100,00 €........................as long as we buy them,

Volker :rodekaart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts