WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator at Large
52,609 Posts
As of today (28.2.2012):

Flieger Automatic - inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Marine Automatic - inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Marine Original - inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Antea KS inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Antea 365 inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Antea 390 and Antea Day-Date inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

Chronographs - inside ar-coating on both crystals (caseback and front)

Seatime and Prodiver - inside ar-coating

Partitio - inside ar-coating

All in all i guess from now on all watches we deliver are inside ar-coated ;-)

·
Registered
94 Posts
So a watch made in April of this year would have the AR coating? I ask because my Flieger doesn't seem to have the blue tint that some of my other watches have. Just wondering if that is an indicator of having AR coating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not necessarily--some AR is clear. I had a watch with AR that showed zero blue hue. If you have no indication either way and must know you should probably send an e-mail to Stowa and see if they can answer. (Is it not obvious in sunlight with glare or abence of glare?)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jorg,

Are you now doing AR coating on the Flieger with 2801 movement or only on the automatics?

Thanks.
John McLeod

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi johnM

I asked this question to Stowa about the AR coating when i ordered my 2801 2 weeks ago and they confirmed the coating inside ar-coating on both sapphire crystals (caseback and front)

hope this helps

·
Registered
358 Posts
In my humble opinion, there is no excuse for not AR coating every watch crystal. In the photo industry, $80 lenses have every one of 6 to 10 lens elements coated with very sophisticated, multiple layer coatings. Recently there are even final coatings for external elements that repel fingerprints and dust.
The watch industry needs to catch up.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
In my humble opinion, there is no excuse for not AR coating every watch crystal. In the photo industry, $80 lenses have every one of 6 to 10 lens elements coated with very sophisticated, multiple layer coatings. Recently there are even final coatings for external elements that repel fingerprints and dust.
Yes there is. A blue hue from the coating looks terrible on a watch with a black dial...

·
Registered
358 Posts
The bright colors of camera coatings are there at least partly for marketing purposes. The technology is extremely sophisticated and the coatings can have any color, or no color, as appropriate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I agree with that. In particular I have some B+W lens filters that are amazingly transparent. Similar coating performance as used on these would greatly enhance watch crystals.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There are different requirements to protect lenses or wrist watch crystals: How often do you scratch your camera lens along a concrete wall? :roll:

You both are right referring to camera lenses - but your arguments fail for watch crystals.
Did you ever look at a damaged outer coating of a watch?

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
dont mind me asking, if i were to purchase a flieger in year 2010, most likely it won't come with the anti reflective coating. Could i check with you if there is a difference between whether there is coating or no coating? thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
dont mind me asking, if i were to purchase a flieger in year 2010, most likely it won't come with the anti reflective coating. Could i check with you if there is a difference between whether there is coating or no coating? thanks.
I use to have both, there is'nt a big difference...

The left with A/R coating inside and the right without (circa 1998)

imgp1018.jpg

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yes there is. A blue hue from the coating looks terrible on a watch with a black dial...
Ar coatings can come with any hue specfied by the watchmaker including no color.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk 4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts