WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by JuNi's post last wednesday in Who else is wearing a Stowa today? I will communicate my knowledge regarding the two sub-brands.
When JuNi published his photo of the vintage Stowa Seatime I was reminded of my identical watch with the label La Cloche:

Th second sub-brand related to Stowa is EDITIA:

It will take some weeks more to gather and to condense my research about the two brands.

To keep you being anxious to learn more: La Cloche was/is an American brand........

Volker

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello Volker and other Stowaristi!

i also have a "pre" Seatime watch from Stowa in this style.
It is without a "Seatime" logo, and the information regarding "rubis" is different than your.
25 Rubis on the logo, but its powered by a PUW 1561 automatic movement, that has 21.

best greetings,
Fabian

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I wish that Stowa offered some Seatimes simular to those ones. Those looks really cool, a lot of neat character.

Were these two brands closeley related to Stowa? Kinda like how Tudor is related to Rolex?

Can’t wait to see your future posts to learn more!

·
Registered
47 Posts
A quick google search came up with this on Editia:

"Editia is a trade name of Walter Storz Uhrenfabrik. By Mikrolisk this mark was registered in November 1954. According to Hans-Heinrich Schmid's 'Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie' the company was founded in 1929 and liquidated in 1996." (link)

Mikrolisk (The horological trade mark index): Editia | manufacturer: Walter Storz/Stowa GmbH | Pforzheim, Deutschland; registered 9.11.1954 (link)

And this on La Cloche:

Mikrolisk: La Cloche | manufacturer: Emile Quartier Fils | Aux Brenets, Switzerland; registered 20.1.1900 (link)

"According to Swiss timepieces, La Cloche-- Other brands were Nautilus, Spectrum, They were imported to U. S. in the 1970s by Juvenia, They list sport diver watches, chronographs, and numerious other specialty watches includeing Ladies solid gold with diamonds ect. Rantime" (link)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quoting informations from different sources doesn't mean they are correct.

- STOWA was founded in 1927 not 1929 and all rights regarding STOWA's trademark and their sub-brands were bought by Joerg Schauer from Werner Stotz (the founder's son) in 1996.

- Mikrolisk's comment on La Cloche is correct - but it doesn't say all of it.
La Cloche was also the name for watches and clocks, distributed by the W. Bell & Company, Inc., Rocksville MD.
This trademark was registered 7/23/1963. The reason, why it was categorized at floor covering products will remain a secret.
LA CLOCHE Trademark of W. Bell & Company, Inc. Serial Number: 72137417 :: Trademarkia Trademarks
Here you can find an essay about the connection W.Bell & Co. and STOWA:
Buren MinStop, iemand bekend?
La Cloche watches were made by several companies by order of W.Bell & Co., distributed exclusively via their catalogs and retail store chain.

Volker

·
Registered
47 Posts
... and all rights regarding STOWA's trademark and their sub-brands were bought by Joerg Schauer from Werner Stotz (the founder's son) in 1996.
Well, Walter Storz' company (the old Stowa) was liquidated in 1996, that's a fact. The trademark "Stowa" is a different topic. I just had a look at the german trademark registry, which is always rather interesting.

The trademark was first registered on 16.09.1939 by the company of Walter Storz (which means Stowas trademark birthday is coming up soon!). In 1996/97 (application filed in 1996, transfer in 1997) the trademark was transferred to the company of Jörg Schauer, who then later transferred it to Regine Schauer in 2004. Mrs. Regine Schauer held it from 2004 till june 2021, when it was eventually transferred to STOWA GmbH & Co. KG (obviously in connection to the acquisition of Stowa by Arte Tempus).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts