WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum, and I tried searching for this topic before posting...
But as far as I can find from a bit of google searching and youtubing... I am the first one to raise this quirky query.

I have a Casio Edifice 4334 EFA-120, which I've had for around 5 years, it recently ran out of batteries and when I put new batteries into it, I noticed some strange looking changes to the details on the displays... Then I followed the direction on the sticker inside the case that says to touch the + to the - after changing the batteries, and it reset and went back to normal... I got curious about what I had seen, and tried to replicate it, but couldn't.
However the batteries I had purchased turned out to be no good and died again within two months, and I went through it again today.

This time I didn't follow the procedure of touching the + and - terminals with tweezers as before, and explored the new settings.
It is really a completely different watch.

It now has moon phase, and tide I believe.
However there are a few settings I can't work out.
I now have to input the Longitude data, never had to do that before, and also there is an option in that screen to change it from E to U - no ideas.
I assume it means degrees of Longitude east? But what is the U option?

Other differences are, the main time screen now shows SA-27 at the top (Saturday the 27th), instead of the full date like it used to.
And if I press the top left button once, it changes the temperature readout to a graph of something, maybe tide related?

The screen that used to show stopwatch lap records now shows records of some other data I can't get my head around, which includes temperature data.

Any help with working this one out would be super interesting.
I can post photos or a video if it's of interest to any casio edifice geeks out there...

I really want to get to know this watch (again?).

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Welcome. That sounds interesting. You might do some research. Find what the number of the movement module is. Probably on the Casio web site. Then look for what other watches use the same one.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what you're describing, I wonder if it's functioning like the 4335/4348 module. There's probably a certain chip that's used in several models, but perhaps an internal jumper controls the operating mode, but improper resetting causes it to boot up in the wrong mode. Casio will use different module numbers if the modules use the same chip but have different LCDs or other differences (as with the AE1000, AE1100, AE1200, AE2000, and AE2100 watches, which apparently have the same chip but different module numbers). According to the 4335/4348 module manual, that strange graph is a temperature plot. The manual says the longitude setting should switch between E and W, so I'm guessing the U on the EFA120 is supposed to be a W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I just confirmed my theory. The 4335/4348 module is used in the Casio AQF100 watches, so I did a search on it. Guess what? When you change the batteries in that model, it acts like an EFA120 instead of an AQF100!

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a YouTube video demonstrating an EFA-120 running on the alternative program. After watching that video, I think this model actually behaves like the 5056 module in the AQF-101, as opposed to the 4335 (standard) or 4348 (inverse LCD) modules used in the AQW-100. The 5056 module operation is nearly identical to the 4335 operation, except it displays a fishing condition scale instead of a tide graph, and the TIDE mode is replaced with an LV (fishing) mode. Basically, it shows 0 fish (poor fishing conditions), 1, 2, 3, or 4 (excellent fishing conditions), using a simple algorithm: add 1 fish on half moon, add 2 fish on full or new moon, add 1 fish on low tide, add 2 fish on high tide. When displayed on the EFA-120 screen, the first 4 segments in what used to be the minute counter now shows the moon phase. The indication may seem reverse: all light segments indicate new moon, all dark segments indicate full moon (except on the rare EFA-120D-7, which does not have a reverse screen). The next 4 segments indicate the fishing condition scale - all light segments indicate excellent fishing, all dark segments indicate poor fishing (again, that will be reverse on the -7 version). The last 2 segments, from what I saw in the video, seem to be non-functional. If the watch were to run with a tide function instead of a fishing function, I imagine the last 2 segments would be part of the tide indicator, since the tide graph watches have 6 segments to indicate tide level. I just wonder if changing the batteries randomly selects a program or something, and if perhaps it's possible to boot up the watch with a tide mode instead of a fishing (LV) mode. I wanted to get an EFA-120 because it's a cool looking watch (and sort of resembles the old TI Starburst styling in a way), but now I really want one (or two) to mess around with the batteries and see what all it can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts