WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like odd thing's (you should have seen my ex wives) but this is to me at least is a little odd a Favre-Leuba Eterna ?
Face age worn but still clearly marked Favre - Leuba with Eterna below and of course Swiss Made
Movement marked Eterna (Eterna 1274U and dated by serial number 1953)
Case also marked Eterna Watch Co

FL-eterna.JPG

Eterna1274U.JPG

case.JPG

I splashed out very little money on this one and so far it is running well the movement itself looks in a good condition under a loupe no sign of damage at all that i can see. Face as you can see is worse for wear for a 1953 watch as anyone any ideas i have contacted Eterna to see if they have any thoughts on this one. Reading on the net there as never been a recorded marriage of the two companies that i could find so a Eterna re-badged but that to me begs the question would that not be like getting an Omega and putting a Timex face on it. I can understand that you do see well respected companies with cheap replacement movements i just don't know about this one would like a better face but it is growing on me as i wear it.
Thoughts welcome if they can add to the mystery that is - don't need loads of no such beast about impossible because so far that is all i am running into.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I think that the watch was most probably sold in India where FL had a very strong presence - and Eterna was probably a little-known brand.

This thread https://www.watchuseek.com/f27/favre-leuba-zenith-225227.html confirms that FL sold co-branded watches in conjunction with Zenith for the Indian market - so there's no reason for them not to have done so with Eterna.

Reactions: pr1uk

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi there,

I have honestly never seen a Favre Leuba Eterna branded watch before!

I know of the connection between Favre Leuba and other swiss brands... But not Eterna...

The dial font looks a little dubious to me.

where did you pick it up from?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

I have honestly never seen a Favre Leuba Eterna branded watch before!

I know of the connection between Favre Leuba and other swiss brands... But not Eterna...

The dial font looks a little dubious to me.

where did you pick it up from?
I have looked using a loupe and the printing looks to me as it should the seller was in the UK and said he picked it up at a car boot

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
I must say that I too am rather skeptical. The "Eterna" on the dial looks darker and the "Eterna" engraving on the case back shinier and more recent. At this stage, on the basis of the above, I am a little suspicious that the movement might not be original to the watch either.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must say that I too am rather skeptical. The "Eterna" on the dial looks darker and the "Eterna" engraving on the case back shinier and more recent. At this stage, on the basis of the above, I am a little suspicious that the movement might not be original to the watch either.....

Hartmut Richter

I am also very skeptical the case is Eterna and the movement and the movement is dated 1953 by the serial number i would have thought an Eterna watch would have been worth more then a Favre Leuba so why would anyone change it. The cyristal is a deep one so front shots are hard to light but you can see the fonts on the two names are different fonts i have emailed Eterna but did not have any photos then but no response so far the watch was a car boot price so cheap and interesting i had to get it but all my research so far say it cannot be right. I did highlight the case to make the makers named stand out and the movement looking at many photos looks right plus it fits so well and as said Eterna movements can be dated by the serial number, just why it as been badged with a second lesser name intrigues me.

DSCF3092.JPG

DSCF3097.JPG

Thank you anyway and will i ever get to the bottom of this who knows

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Pr,

Eterna are normally very good at getting back to people... so hopefully they can spread some light onto it.

My 'history of Eterna' book is packed away so cant double check there to see if there are more details.

I looked at the listing (on Ebay) of this watch....

Using the sellers pics...

the dial font does not look as dubious.... that said your pics make the dial look far worse - has it been 'cleaned'?

Another thing I would note, is the batten 5 minute markers look slightly more gold coloured than the coppery hands (maybe they have been changed)... but that may just be the pics!

Its an odd one!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,820 Posts
i would have thought an Eterna watch would have been worth more then a Favre Leuba so why would anyone change it.
I find nothing more unusual in this than I do in finding Birks Eternas being sold in Canada. This dial marking practice was quite normal for the Swiss companies selling into India. These companies all badge engineered watches to some degree or other, for example you might think that a Longines was worth more than a West End. It is perfectly possible that Eterna did the dial markings themselves - certainly some of the Swiss manufacturers appear to have offered this service.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Pr,

Eterna are normally very good at getting back to people... so hopefully they can spread some light onto it.

My 'history of Eterna' book is packed away so cant double check there to see if there are more details.

I looked at the listing (on Ebay) of this watch....

Using the sellers pics...

the dial font does not look as dubious.... that said your pics make the dial look far worse - has it been 'cleaned'?

Another thing I would note, is the batten 5 minute markers look slightly more gold coloured than the coppery hands (maybe they have been changed)... but that may just be the pics!

Its an odd one!
The seller was very good after i explained i believe it not to be as described we came to an agreement after the sell photos are hard i think because of the deep crystal any angle and things distort. Cleaned no as for battens and hands under daylight and a loupe the battens do look one shade different but where they have small wear marks they are the same shade making me think when produced the hands would have been one shade brighter.
Odd one indeed still got it on and it is keeping good time oh and the two different fonts do stand out to me

Also thank you Mirius when i get any info from Eterna i will report back will wear the thing all day now then it can go into my collection box or as a friend told me once box of junk..

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
I find nothing more unusual in this than I do in finding Birks Eternas being sold in Canada. This dial marking practice was quite normal for the Swiss companies selling into India. These companies all badge engineered watches to some degree or other, for example you might think that a Longines was worth more than a West End. It is perfectly possible that Eterna did the dial markings themselves - certainly some of the Swiss manufacturers appear to have offered this service.
Likely. Favre-Leuba had powerful brand presence in India, and the distributor there was a member of the family. In the Zenith picture, they are clearly a general watch retailer that also sold Zenith. It is quite likely that FL was a more respected and known brand there than Eterna. I would NOT reject the authenticity of this watch on the basis of implausibility.

Rick "suspecting Eterna benefitted from the association" Denney

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Exactly my thoughts.;-)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Likely. Favre-Leuba had powerful brand presence in India, and the distributor there was a member of the family. In the Zenith picture, they are clearly a general watch retailer that also sold Zenith. It is quite likely that FL was a more respected and known brand there than Eterna. I would NOT reject the authenticity of this watch on the basis of implausibility.

Rick "suspecting Eterna benefitted from the association" Denney

Its very easy to assume something is dubious when you feel you have an understanding/knowledge of a brand and you see something you have not seen before.

In the case of Pr's watch, I have spent many many hours searching for Eterna watches over the last few years (I still own a few and have sold a fair few) and can honestly say I have not seen this union of brands before. As such, my first assumption is something could be up. Then looking at the original pics... it appears that there is a clear colour difference between Favre-Leuba and Eterna. The word Eterna also looks slight wonky (right end of the word is lower than the left). Now, these difference could be down to a trick of the light and/or the domed crystal... either way, this does not help with my suspicions.

Looking at the case, the Eterna engraving on the case back inside also looks slightly dubious. Even though the type font/style looks correct for this period of Eterna, it looks brighter and 'fresher' than the other marks. Again, adding to my suspicious mind!

However, the fact I feel I have a limited/basic knowledge of this brand could be my downfall.... I am certain there are hundreds/thousands of Eterna's I have not seen... this could just be one of them.

The other question would be.... why bother? If this is some sort of Franken.... to what end/gain would there be in concocting this watch?

IF.... this is a Franken of sorts... From the original photos, I would have guessed the movement and case were Eterna. The watch dial may have been missing or completely shot. A Favre-Leuba dial has been fitted (adapted or if there is a alternative ETA movement - dont know?) and the word Eterna added to to the dial to tie it together. However, looking at the sellers pics, the discrepancies don't look as clear (either clever photography or all is well)....

Fingers crossed someone with a knowledge of this watch or Eterna themselves can provide the facts!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IF.... this is a Franken of sorts... From the original photos, I would have guessed the movement and case were Eterna. The watch dial may have been missing or completely shot. A Favre-Leuba dial has been fitted (adapted or if there is a alternative ETA movement - dont know?) and the word Eterna added to to the dial to tie it together. However, looking at the sellers pics, the discrepancies don't look as clear (either clever photography or all is well)....

Fingers crossed someone with a knowledge of this watch or Eterna themselves can provide the facts!
That could be it, to me it's the fonts on the face and the case don't match and yes turning the watch in light does seem to bring up a colour difference nothing on back of case just the number 3656531

DSCF3107.JPG

DSCF3117.JPG

Whatever it as certainly given me hours of research and it is a shame the face is so badly worn as it is not a bad time keeper

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi PR,

That the close up dial shot shows what I meant by wonky text... I had originally lined it up with the bottom edge of battens.

Looking at the text zoomed in.... the 'E's in Favre Leuba look identical... The 'E's in Eterna look slightly different....

again, this could be down to the pics/crystal or condition of the dial.... as you have it in hand, you are probably the best to judge!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am no expert, but I have seen hundreds of pics of Eternas and EternaMatics. The Eterna font looks correct; Eterna used their own font, with heavy stokes on the top horizontal element for "E", "T", "R" and "A", with heavy stroke on the middle element on "N". And the engraving on the inside case back looks good as well; Eterna used a double engraving that highlights the printed font. Also, the Favre Leuba font looks authentic, IMO.

John

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Guys, the Eterna marking uses their classic logotype, and the FL marking uses their logotype. It's entirely likely that the FL label was added in India by FL--nothing about that would be inauthentic. We already know its an Eterna--it has an Eterna movement. Nobody would add FL now, but they sure might have when it was new.

As to perfection on the dial, I learned early on that when we spend sometimes thousands of dollars on a camera lens, we have to realize that the scratched-up molded plastic crystal is going to undo all that optical goodness. When I bought my vintage Ebel, I was concerned about distorted text in the ebay pictures. But with a loupe and the ability to view it from different angles, it's originality became obvious.

The way to check it is whether the movement and the logotype font are from the same period, or the caseback is stamped or engraved rather than laser-cut, or whether the materials are wrong, and so on. If the movement dates to 1953 and Eterna didn't use that font until 1965, then we have our answer. If the movement dates to 1953 and FL stopped selling Eterna in 1948, we have our answer. (I don't know either of these things--this is just hypothetical.)

I can't say it is authentic, but the FL dial logo does not, on the face of it, seem implausible.

Rick "further research required" Denney

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I give up so will now wait until i get some sort of reply from Eterna but lets face it this is not a good time of the year to expect a quick reply,
Thank you all at least it as given food for thought

·
Registered
734 Posts

Here is an Eterna ad from 1950-1951 showing the special Eterna font. Image borrowed from the internet.

John

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Here is an Eterna ad from 1950-1951 showing the special Eterna font. Image borrowed from the internet.

John
Hi John,

I don't think anyone would dispute the Font type/style is incorrect.... It was used for many years by Eterna.

What seems a bit suspect from the OPs pics is the alignment and what appears to be 2 different (slightly) shaped 'E's in the word ETERNA.

But as I also say above, that could be the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reactions: jsw41
1 - 20 of 32 Posts