WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing as usual a local auction website I stumbled upon this Roamer Stingray 44. The dial looks original but is lacking the "roto" part before 44. Additionally, the case back is the old style that Roamer used and I never say a Stingray with this case shape.

If I'm correct they changed the case backs around 1966 which is the exact date the first Stingrays appeared.

Is this watch original? Even with this case back? I asked the seller for a movement photo.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Why would it have a Rotodate case back, if it's quite obviously a no-date?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think it`s possible that this may be a transition case where Roamer were using up the last of the old design cases (the new range that came in around66/67)
You may find that it has an early MST 470 44 jewel calibre rather than the previous 436 upon which it was based.
The 44 jewel 470/471s (no date/date) where only prodeced fora few years before the jewel count went down to 28 to cut costs.

Here is a link to Trim`s excellent vintage Roamer site where you can see an example of Stingray with the modern "r" logo dial but with an old case back.
The rotopower named was dropped soon after and the rotodate was dropped by about 1970 too I think.

Vintage Roamer Watch Site

I`m fairly sure I`ve seen this case style before on Roamers but it`s not one of the more common ones.
the cross hairs dial design is quiite nice and featured on the early Stingray S dive model too.

Just came across this one which sold recently on ebay..same case style as the watch you mention but with the old style back:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also found this:
I knew I`d read about a transitional case some where.

http://roamer-watches.info/features/MST470/1/gallery.shtml

Hope this is of some help

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
I don't have any issue with a Stingray in a Morf II case. Screw back cases were used from the early Sixties so there was an overlap.

As for the marriage, it's odd as it should just have a rotopower case. Nicely spotted there Mike.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I missed the case back wording when I replied earlier..I was thinking more about the lack of "rotopower" on the dial and not paying full attention to the case back wording.
Apologies..
It should state just rotopower on the back as already noted.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for your inputs. I would buy the watch if it was a bargain price just out of curiosity as it's an interesting piece for research. It's about 80e and for more than half of that I managed to buy a year ago a nice square Stingray with an 28 jeweled MST 471.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@demonfinder:

This is mine. The case has few scratches but otherwise in really nice condition. This photo doesn't reflects the real color and condition of the dial. The crystal was polished and it has the Roamer logo on it.

As for the price, I always hunt bargains as I'm on a tight budget. Also, locally (eastern Europe) I can dig out some interesting stuff for less money than in the western world.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That`s in great shape esdy.. I`ve not seen many with silver dials in the early cases.

This is an early 471 44 jewel one that I managed to bag recently -a bit more tradtional/dress style than those square boys though.
IMG_20160822_170021591_HDR.jpg IMG_20160822_170043994.jpg

I got it at a great price but the great chronograph Stingrays are way beyond my budget at the moment :0(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
26 Nov 2015
Added a resources tab
26 Nov 2015
Added case info PDFs and Casing Brochure to the case page. Case info
14 Nov 2015
Added an early brochure to the blog article on the Stingray Range.
Oh. Well. I suppose that is fair.

Anyway, I actually updated something.

I put an early Stingray Diver Brochure up, casing info and scanned some case pdfs!

Yay, go me.

2015??? :D I guess it's a typo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts