WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been studying Soviet and Post-Soviet era watches for a while now and Found a marking I've never seen before.
While researching a Molinija 3062 movement I found one that was marked RU instead of SU, the marking appears hand applied with a single set of letters.
I'm including a picture as they are worth a thousand words.
Is this something rare, or did I miss an important thread somewhere?:thanks

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,631 Posts
I've been studying Soviet and Post-Soviet era watches for a while now and Found a marking I've never seen before.
While researching a Molinija 3062 movement I found one that was marked RU instead of SU, the marking appears hand applied with a single set of letters.
I'm including a picture as they are worth a thousand words.
Is this something rare, or did I miss an important thread somewhere?:thanks
Normally the country-of-origin marks on Soviet and post-Soviet movements are SU=Soviet Union, RUS=Russia, BY=Belarus. My guess is that this RU is an early post-Soviet attempt at a replacement for SU, before RUS became the standard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure but IMHO it's fake movement. Compare it with another original Molnija and you'll see difference.
Hmm,
As you say, are you sure Andy. I'm mainly interested in the 1stMWF, so definitely not knowledgeable in Molnija, but here is a 3602 movement I have which is identical to the OP movement picture.

This one comes from one of those popular Molnija KGB pocketwatches from a couple of years ago, and was used to start my watchmaking skills.

By the way, all those over here considering to do some trials in watchmaking. The 3602 is a perfect start. It's relative big and has few parts. I have disassembled and assembled again this movement at least 10 times. After that you have enough practice to move on to a cheap vostok movement.
Oh, and I have no idea what RU stands for. I´m only speculating but could it be an abreviation of a quality grade ?

The only thing I remember that is shown on many 3602 movements.

Tammo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts