WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and browsed some threads but I'm not sure if the G-Shock adapters will work on the PRG-270. The model isn't listed but it is new (and close enough to a G-Shock I hope you don't mind me posting here.

I think I am looking for something like the 2nd and 3rd Pictures Here:Customer Image Gallery for Casio Men's PAG240-8 Pathfinder Amazon Exclusive Triple Sensor Tough Solar Digital Watch

I've already called the official Casio parts distributors and they said they don't have any adapters of any kind and couldn't tell me where to look.

I would also like to confirm that whatever adapters I do get would work with the straps (e.g. 3 or 5 ring). One vendor told me NATO straps wouldn't work . . . and told me to post here.

So, where can I find strap adapters for this watch and what kind of straps should I look for/avoid?

I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
First off: hi, and welcome to the WUS forum! :)

Second: sadly, I can't tell you a thing about Pathfinder adapters, but you're right -- they're close enough to G-Shocks that you're posting in the right subforum! (This is the place for pretty much ALL Casio watches: G-Shocks, Pathfinders, Wavecepters, Baby-G's and even the good old "DW" digital watches that don't have a "family.")

Third: The terms NATO and Zulu get thrown around almost interchangeably, even though they're apparently two different sorts of straps.

NATO straps almost always have squared-off "rings" and are made up of two layers of nylon webbing, that interlock through one or more of the rings, and are almost always of the "5-ring" variety. These extra rings MAY interfere with G-Shocks, Pathfinders, and other large watches with adapters, depending on the spacing of the rings, which depends on the strap manufacturer.

Zulu straps almost always have rounded off, oval rings and are (often but not always) made of a thicker nylon webbing, and come in a "3-ring" style that will always work on any watch with springbars or adapters. However, there are also "5-ring Zulu" straps which use the same rounded hardware, but use the same "two layer" webbing and extra rings from NATO style straps.

From another post on the subject:

Assuming the straps are all the correct widths:

• 3 ring Zulu straps will always work, because they don't have any extra rings to get in the way.
  • 5 ring Zulu straps may OR MAY NOT work, depending on the model of the watch, the spacing of those extra two rings, and the diameter of the wearer's wrist.
  • NATO straps may OR MAY NOT work, depending on the model of the watch, the spacing of those extra two rings, and the diameter of the wearer's wrist.

Hopefully this link will explain a little better, through words and pictures, the exact problem those extra two rings can cause.
That link in the quote will show exactly how a watch can "ride up" above the wearer's wrist on a 5-ring strap. Here's another link to ZULU Strap vs NATO Strap Difference with more or less the same explanation, and different pictures. :)

Good luck, and hopefully someone will soon be able your Pathfinder adapter questions!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Pictures, please! :)

If Keoni's 16mm lug adapters fit the PRG-270, that means that Casio's standard G-Shock adapters should fit as well, which would be great because we're going from "how to...?" to "here's two different ways!"

The adapters in the pictures on Amazon that the OP mentioned (and linked to) don't look anything like Casio's basic G-Shock adapters -- they look like ProTrek adapters to me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The PRG-270 has 18mm lugs. The shapeways or regular g-shock adapters will fit , but will move side to side since they are 16mm. You can add 1mm rubber spacers on each side so it won't move around.

Another thing you could do is ask keoni if he can do an adapter 18mm lug size so it can fit directly without adding spacers.

My SGW-300 has 18mm lugs also and I added little spacers to fill in the gap. Works very well

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Glad to see that the basic Casio adapters (sort of) fit the PRG-270, with the addition of spacers! :-!

The PRG-270 has 18mm lugs. The shapeways or regular g-shock adapters will fit , but will move side to side since they are 16mm. You can add 1mm rubber spacers on each side so it won't move around.

Another thing you could do is ask keoni if he can do an adapter 18mm lug size so it can fit directly without adding spacers.
As of two weeks ago, he was working on 18mm adapters: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/adapter-gw200-frogman-wtb-1023234.html#post7765821

Here's the main thread about them: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/shapeways-gshock-strap-adapters-anyone-tried-them-974579.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
My apologies for not posting pics - here are two. Strap is a Zulu from wornandwound.com. It is indeed the case that the keoni adapters should be 2mm wider, you can see sort of a worst-case scenario in one of the pics. So if he is working on ones that are 18mm wide that is preferred. However, I do find that these look better than the Casio adapters. How would I find 1mm spacers? (Sorry if that is kind of a newbie question. :)) prg270b.jpg prg270a.jpg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
That looks great, fossilapostle, and I'm really glad to see that there's a relatively easy solution for adapters for this watch! :-!

As far as 1mm spacers go, here's what I posted the other day in a thread about the same problem with a Frogman that also has an 18mm lug width:

Here's one sort-of fix for the problem: "How do you fix a loose strap adapter on a Frogman?"

"A quick solution to fix this is take apart a cheap bic pen, cut a piece off of the end of the ink refill, then slice with a razor two slim collars that you can use to take up the free space on your spring bars."
[link: Bands and Strap Adapters - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources ]
A more complicated solution MIGHT BE to locate and order the tiny spacers that are used on one or more G-Shock Aviator models, as in this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-4000-bracelet-change-972816.html

No part numbers, but it looks like they make them for the GW-4000 (and possible other models): "You absolutely need the resin spacer to attach to the case. Them 2 as well as the tiny metal tubes come separately, so don't forget to order them."

On the other hand, those spacers are designed to fit the SCREWS used for the Aviator straps and bracelets, so I have no idea if they'd be too big for use with a springbar -- or not!

·
Registered
223 Posts
My apologies for not posting pics - here are two. Strap is a Zulu from wornandwound.com. It is indeed the case that the keoni adapters should be 2mm wider, you can see sort of a worst-case scenario in one of the pics. So if he is working on ones that are 18mm wide that is preferred. However, I do find that these look better than the Casio adapters. How would I find 1mm spacers? (Sorry if that is kind of a newbie question. :)) View attachment 1504117 View attachment 1504118
The bic pen idea is ok, but not the best. I used small rubber O rings that they put on shifter or bake cables so they don't rattle on the tube of a bicycle. I cut them around 1mm thick and trim them with a sharp exacto knife. I use 2 flat objects between the O ring to hold it so I can cut it precisely. Works like a charm. The good thing is that its still easy to take the adapter off since they compress a bit so you can stick the tool to remove the spring bar.

The adapter stays centered and doesn't move around. Go in a bike shop and ask for some. I'm sure they will give them to you. Its easy and cheap so you don't have to get another set of adapters.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I used small rubber O rings that they put on shifter or bake cables so they don't rattle on the tube of a bicycle. I cut them around 1mm thick and trim them with a sharp exacto knife. I use 2 flat objects between the O ring to hold it so I can cut it precisely. Works like a charm. The good thing is that its still easy to take the adapter off since they compress a bit so you can stick the tool to remove the spring bar.
That's a great solution! As you said, much better than the "pen refill tubing" but almost as universally available, since every bike shop that has a mechanic will also have those o-ring/donuts! :-!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts