WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up one of these (yep, took the $45 Amazon deal) and I like the watch a lot. Nice to have a G-Shock.

Question: I also have a new Pathfinder PAW1300G-1V (love it) and I ordered a couple of extra straps for it--a Bond NATO and a black-with-orange-stripe Maratac Zulu (matches the black/orange Pathfinder perfectly).

Is there no way to use these on my Mudman, too (as I believe I've read elsewhere on the forums)? Are there ANY alternative straps that'll fit a Mudman? Not that I dislike the OEM strap, just looking for options . . .

Thanks,

DB

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Nope. The Mudman strap is the only strap that fits the Mudman. Don't fret though. The Mudman strap is quite excellent.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Glad we were able to show people the good deal amazon was having, $45 for a great watch is an even better deal! The strap will soften up over time, even if it is soft when you receive it. The buttons on the other hand... lol

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
...can be soften up too, if you take off the bezel/case and boil it for 10-30 minutes.
This is true. After dying my 3V Mudman bezel in simmering hot water, the buttons have softened.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
...can be soften up too, if you take off the bezel/case and boil it for 10-30 minutes.

regards, holger

hmm...must...try...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If I may, has anyone experienced failure of the strap where it attaches to the head?

Look at the area just before the head; see the wide hole in the strap, leaving just two wee "legs" to carry the punishment? Do the "legs" break or are they reinforced internally?

I really like the Muddie, but I'm worried when I wear it during strenuous activities; I'm concerned that these "legs" will give way, and the watch will take a flying leap off of my wrist ....

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I saw that too, but unless you're being mauled by a bear, and it decides to pick you up by your watch, I doubt whether they'll give way.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
OK, fair enough .... You've not had this, or heard of this, happen? I'd like to think that the strap is more robust than that, but the two "legs" looks awfully weak to me.

Eh, maybe I'm just worrying too much. Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I don't think the way the strap fits is a weakness, it seems a much more secure method than using spring bars. I'm confident it would take incredible effort to pull the strap off.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi Lex

No, the the mounting design, the wide holes on either strap, just before the mount-point. Look at a Muddie; tilt it so you are seeing the strap attachment area; look just below that, and you'll see that the bulk of the strap is held to the attachment point by two wee "legs" ..... these are what I refer to. The area I reference almost looks like a vent of some sort.

I'll take a pic tonight.

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Hi Lex

No, the the mounting design, the wide holes on either strap, just before the mount-point. Look at a Muddie; tilt it so you are seeing the strap attachment area; look just below that, and you'll see that the bulk of the strap is held to the attachment point by two wee "legs" ..... these are what I refer to. The area I reference almost looks like a vent of some sort.

I'll take a pic tonight.
I know what you mean, I have 3 Mudman's and I've taken one apart (to dye the strap and bezel). I really don't think the strap is going anywhere, and I wouldn't worry about it. It would be interesting to see a test on how much force it takes to pull the strap off. I'm betting it would be an awful lot.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Another torture test idea for you Lexx? We anticipate your wonderful show-n-tell.....just kidding.

I took apart my muddie an hour ago, the strap has two legs, bezel/case has 2 legs, the screws are rather lengthy, I also would think it will hold up ok.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'm am going to figure out a way to mod the adapters to use a zulu strap on my mudman. It's just going to take a little patience and time :)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
If I may, has anyone experienced failure of the strap where it attaches to the head?

Look at the area just before the head; see the wide hole in the strap, leaving just two wee "legs" to carry the punishment? Do the "legs" break or are they reinforced internally?

I really like the Muddie, but I'm worried when I wear it during strenuous activities; I'm concerned that these "legs" will give way, and the watch will take a flying leap off of my wrist ....

Cheers!
Bill
You might want to check with BrianS. I know he wears his Mudman sometimes when he goes to some of his shooting matches. I don't think he gets it banged up too much but he could let you know how well it has been holding up for him.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Would love to see what you come up with--I think my Mudman would look even cooler on a Zulu.

DB
I think it would look good to. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to sell the watch. I'm one of the unfortunate few that can't stand the grey nubs rubbing my wrist, and I don't want to cut/sand them.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts Lexx ... I'm sure you're right; this thing is built to take more than what I will give, so I'm sure it'll survive just fine. As it's not a daily-wear anyhow, it should last a good amount of time, and I try not to bang my watches up too much. So my worries are prolly a moot point.

Topher ... if you do figure a way to modify the adapters, please post here; I'll want to do the same thing, as I believe the Muddie would rock on a NATO! ;-)

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You might want to check with BrianS. I know he wears his Mudman sometimes when he goes to some of his shooting matches. I don't think he gets it banged up too much but he could let you know how well it has been holding up for him.

Thanks for that Brian ... I'll watch for a response, or send a PM in a bit.

Cheers!
Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts